News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: NC Central’s LeVelle Moton a target for Georgia State  (Read 2218 times)

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: NC Central’s LeVelle Moton a target for Georgia State
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2019, 03:01:58 AM »
If he is planning on moving up, this is a pretty good path.

why aren't they going after Joyner?  He's 6-3 against Moton.

Joyner might get some attention from teams in the Northeast.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2019, 05:02:07 AM »
I would think that Hampton'sbEd Joyner, Jr would get some interest as well.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2019, 08:44:40 AM »
I thought a Florida school would come after him. I never thought about Georgia State. But he will win at Georgia State and after that
he will have many opportunities at a higher level.

This is going to sound like I'm throwing shade. Maybe I am because I'm certainly partisan in this matter but people need to honor their contracts. If you're going to entertain offers every year then you need to sign one year contracts with your employer. Moton's contract expires 2022.

Secondly, there's the Peter Principal.  Wasn't Shaka Smart going to be the next great basketball coach? The press was building him up like Zion is being built this year. Since he's left VCU, he's made a lot of money I'll give him that, but he hasn't set the coaching world on fire with winning.  He's a nomad chasing bigger contracts. Now he's considering UCLA.

There was another young black coach he was the assistant when Florida was winning back to back NCAA's. Name escapes me.  Got his first head coaching gig, did well, but the press built him up and he too is chasing the next big contract.

I don't think chasing contracts is what Moton wants, but I wish he'd finish his contract with NCCU first. 

Who knows, Dr. McCree might find another coach who will have me saying "Moton who?".  :lol:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 08:50:12 AM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2019, 10:07:24 AM »
I thought a Florida school would come after him. I never thought about Georgia State. But he will win at Georgia State and after that

This is going to sound like I'm throwing shade. Maybe I am because I'm certainly partisan in this matter but people need to honor their contracts. If you're going to entertain offers every year then you need to sign one year contracts with your employer. Moton's contract expires 2022.

Secondly, there's the Peter Principal.  Wasn't Shaka Smart going to be the next great basketball coach? The press was building him up like Zion is being built this year. Since he's left VCU, he's made a lot of money I'll give him that, but he hasn't set the coaching world on fire with winning.  He's a nomad chasing bigger contracts. Now he's considering UCLA.

There was another young black coach he was the assistant when Florida was winning back to back NCAA's. Name escapes me.  Got his first head coaching gig, did well, but the press built him up and he too is chasing the next big contract.

I don't think chasing contracts is what Moton wants, but I wish he'd finish his contract with NCCU first. 

Who knows, Dr. McCree might find another coach who will have me saying "Moton who?".  :lol:

You're throwing shade.  Shaka wasn't chasing a big contract. Before going to Texas he turned down offers. Just like Moton.  Anthony Grant was at Alabama.  He was also an assistant there for ten years.  He returned home. Like Moton is currently at home at NCCU. 

Shaka doesn't to set the world on fire in Austin. 

Moton will make the right decision.  He's honoring his contract. That's why there's a buyout clause. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2019, 10:54:41 AM »

How is taking a better job with more money frowned upon

Offline Hamptonite

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2019, 10:55:21 AM »

Most think Joyner is just a good recruiter and not good at X's & O's. Which is false, Joyner actually has a tourney victory " Play in " game. Moton has the name and the cache and he's won more conference titles (Moton5) than (Joyner3).
Hampton is the GOP of the MEAC, All about Business and Destroying the WEAK. We will Be Back in 2010 and 2012 Believe THAT!!!!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM »
Anthony Grant coaching history:

As coach:
1987–1992   Miami HS (assistant)
1992–1993   Miami Central HS
1993–1994   Stetson (assistant)
1994–1996   Marshall (assistant)
1996–2006   Florida (assistant)
2006–2009   VCU
2009–2015   Alabama
2015–2017   Oklahoma City Thunder (assistant)
2017–present   Dayton

It's more like he returned 'home' to Dayton his Alma Mater.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is just say 'I want to make more money' because personally me and the wife could live like king & queen on $250K when we were his age.  We can damn sure live millionaires on that in retirement.  :lmao:

Go out and convince one or two of these ballers to come to NCCU and make some real noise.  You break the cycle of players bypassing HBCUs and get them in the mix. The players want to play against good competition. They only come 'home' after riding the bench.

Mark Few has been at Gonzaga his entire coaching career and they are national powers. He ain't chasing a dollar. Shaka, Anthony, and even Jeff Capel before them are just average coaches at best now that that they are chasing contracts.  VCU could be Gonzaga if just one of them stayed.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »

Most think Joyner is just a good recruiter and not good at X's & O's. Which is false, Joyner actually has a tourney victory " Play in " game. Moton has the name and the cache and he's won more conference titles (Moton5) than (Joyner3).

Exactly, PLUS all those close conference games he won this past year should refute the X-O rap against Joyner.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2019, 11:23:26 AM »

How is taking a better job with more money frowned upon

I can't express my opinion.  I have always advocated 'honoring your contract'. Way back when Greg Jackson was our coach I felt the same way. Jackson was upset that the new FB coach was making more than him and demanded more. Alums were up in arms asking that we write then Chancellor Julius Chambers to retain him.

I wrote the Chancellor and said if he wouldn't honor the contract, let him walk.  He did and I haven't missed Greg Jackson as coach. Guess what at Del St, Greg signed a series of one year contracts. That's all I'm saying.  If you're going to be looking then sign one year deals. Buy-outs are a cop out because I doubt NCCU is going to get $250k for each year remaining.

I'll probably feel the same way with Moton if he breaks his word.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2019, 11:50:24 AM »

As coach:
2006–2009   VCU
2009–2015   Alabama
2017–present   Dayton

I guess the point I'm trying to make is just say 'I want to make more money' because personally me and the wife could live like king & queen on $250K when we were his age.  We can damn sure live millionaires on that in retirement.  :lmao:

Go out and convince one or two of these ballers to come to NCCU and make some real noise.  You break the cycle of players bypassing HBCUs and get them in the mix. The players want to play against good competition. They only come 'home' after riding the bench.

Mark Few has been at Gonzaga his entire coaching career and they are national powers. He ain't chasing a dollar. Shaka, Anthony, and even Jeff Capel before them are just average coaches at best now that that they are chasing contracts.  VCU could be Gonzaga if just one of them stayed.

Mark Few makes $1,780,000.00 per year.  Gonzaga paid him the money and he stayed.  They also changed conferences.  Heaven forbid NCCU pays Moton $500,000.00 and moves from your current play in conference.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2019, 12:13:04 PM »
......Gonzaga has been in the West Coach Conference for the past 40 years.  They haven't switched conferences.

Pay Moton more to keep him.  There are exceptions to every rule.  When a dude does well by you, you do well by him.  $300K+ for Moton at Central.  If that ain't enough for him, then he's free to leave.  But don't let parsimony get in the way of losing the best coach and one of the best ambassadors Central has going for it.   

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2019, 12:17:41 PM »

As coach:
2006–2009   VCU
2009–2015   Alabama
2017–present   Dayton

Mark Few makes $1,780,000.00 per year.  Gonzaga paid him the money and he stayed.  They also changed conferences.  Heaven forbid NCCU pays Moton $500,000.00 and moves from your current play in conference.

Toby up in here spreading lies again. When did Gonzaga change conferences and what’s the relevancy to Mark Few and/or his contract?

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2019, 02:22:39 PM »

Joyner might get some attention from teams in the Northeast.

:shrug: but our joyner has yet to win a "championship", neither regular season nor tournament.  so why would he even be a hot commodity?  you don't get promotions just based on success over one very good coach. 

i honestly don't think he's showing up on anybody else's radar as far as hiring goes because norfolk's coach has been far more successful than joyner and has some key upsets over major d1 programs in recent years.  yet, he's still in norfolk...

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 03, 2019, 02:57:06 PM »
well maybe he's in Norfolk because he WANTS to be there.

I would like to think one of these coaches would like to bring some fame to an HBCU instead of running off at the first check waived at them.

For the record I realize Moton hasn't done that and hope he finishes this contract.

Offline Rams3

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2019, 05:53:38 PM »
Moton is gone if he's offered the job. He gets the chance to coach in a conference with a higher RPI among other things amenities already mentioned. One thing for sure if he goes to GA State and win the conference tournament he will more than likely be seeded 10-14 as opposed to being in the First Four Every year. I would love to see him stay at NCCU, however I wish Coach  Moton the Best should he leave.

Belmont, St. John's, Ariz St, Temple where all ELEVEN seeds in this years First Four.

It's not just 16 seeds playing in the First Four.
No it's not but The MEAC / SWAC are 16 seeds. That/s the point. Those other seeds have been added to the First Four to boost interest and revenue in Dayton.... I'm not slighting NCCU. I am just stating facts. Again, I wish Coach Moton Well whatever He Chooss.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News