News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Avery Johnson, Alabama negotiating buyout  (Read 590 times)

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Avery Johnson, Alabama negotiating buyout
« on: March 22, 2019, 09:48:24 AM »
The Avery Johnson era appears to be nearing an end at the University of Alabama.

The school and Johnson are currently negotiating a buyout for what would be a mutually agreed upon parting of ways, AL.com reported first Thursday night. The discussions remain active a day after the Crimson Tide season ended in the NIT.

https://www.al.com/alabamabasketball/2019/03/avery-johnson-alabama-negotiating-buyout.html

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Avery Johnson, Alabama negotiating buyout
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 09:51:55 AM »
Well there’s an opening in Baltimore he can get a head start on.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 10:08:00 AM »
Lol.... I doubt it. He wasn't  interested in coaching his alma mater. I wouldn't be surprise to see him back home in New Orleans

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2019, 10:10:02 AM »
Lol.... I doubt it. He wasn't  interested in coaching his alma mater. I wouldn't be surprise to see him back home in New Orleans
Did Tulane fire Dunleavy?

[img width=132 height=200]https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67371432_10156326345266884_1713769312054935552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlfdZ935sl6FE5MZj_9zJ_1NUIg_F99ny8wv6p9o2iM8HzSKv6gn5rTxESyOfGqrv0&_nc_ht=s

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2019, 10:23:04 AM »
You know I haven't been keeping up with tulane lately.  Lol...funny because I talk to my cousins (one of two of the waves biggest bball alums)

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2019, 10:26:03 AM »
You know I haven't been keeping up with tulane lately.  Lol...funny because I talk to my cousins (one of two of the waves biggest bball alums)

Just checked and he was fired last week.

[img width=132 height=200]https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/67371432_10156326345266884_1713769312054935552_n.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_oc=AQlfdZ935sl6FE5MZj_9zJ_1NUIg_F99ny8wv6p9o2iM8HzSKv6gn5rTxESyOfGqrv0&_nc_ht=s

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2019, 10:28:57 AM »

Interesting

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2019, 10:31:29 AM »

The only way I could see him coming home to coach SU. Her would be the AD/Coach.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 10:47:29 AM »

The only way I could see him coming home to coach SU. Her would be the AD/Coach.

I'm guessing that losing to an  HBCU was the last straw. They couldn't handle that. :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe:
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPS
2017,2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2018,2016, 2015,2009,2002 CIAA Northern Football Champions

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 10:55:29 AM »
It just hit me. LSU may come after him next

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 11:25:47 AM »
It just hit me. LSU may come after him next

A few Texas programs might try to go after him as well.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 11:51:44 AM »
I betcha LSU already talked with the following:
Belmont HC
Murray State HC
Northern Kentucky HC

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 12:03:06 PM »

why would any major d1 school go after avery johnson?  he didn't really accomplish very much at bama for any major d1 school to come "drooling" all over him.  he's proably better off returning to the nba as an assistant if he wants to maintain the kind of salary he made at bama.

but i don't see any major d1 schools knocking themselves out to hire johnson.  his best bet as a head coach at the college level is a midmajor or a low major job...

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 12:59:54 PM »

I'm guessing that losing to an  HBCU was the last straw. They couldn't handle that. :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe:

Nope
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2019, 01:33:20 PM »
Not to make any excuses, because I do think Avery could have elevated his coaching skills at the college level, but other than Charles Barkley and maybe a few others, Alabama is not known as a basketball recruiting hotbed.  Other than his son (Avery, Jr.) being shown from Houston, TX, 80% of his players are from Alabama. Avery's main ties to basketball is in Texas and Louisiana, two states with better basketball recruits.  I'm sure there are a few DI programs in Texas and Louisiana who thinks Avery can recruit top level in-state DI players.  Most top recruits from Texas and Louisiana by-pass Alabama in basketball.  It would have seemed like Avery could have gotten a few Georgia recruits.  Personally, I thought Avery would have been able to recruit Texas and Louisiana, but that doesn't seem to have been the case.  Avery did outshine Johnnie Jones at LSU who is now at TxSU.  They both were hired around the same time.  Plus, Avery has close NBA (San Antonio and Dallas) ties in Texas.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2019, 01:47:29 PM by JAG89 »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News