News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: MEAC: Norfolk officials say the tournament brings in $5 million annually  (Read 369 times)

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
MEAC basketball tournament coming up next week in Norfolk
Norfolk officials say the tournament brings in $5 million annually

NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) -- Basketball fans, get ready! The Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference Basketball Tournament is right around the corner and the city of Norfolk is ready to welcome all its fans.

The tournament is held at Scope in downtown Norfolk and Visit Norfolk president and CEO Kurt Krause says hotels are booked in anticipation.

“This is a reunion for people. It’s for fraternities, sororities, schools. It’s an opportunity for the city to show off what a great location it is, what a great destination it is,” Krause said.

Krause says that the revenue from the tournament has brought in just under $5 million annually in recent years.

https://www.wavy.com/sports/local-sports/meac-basketball-tournament-coming-up-next-week-in-norfolk/1836845497

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I did not realize it was so little compared to the $50 million Ciaa value to Charlotte. Seems like it would have grown by now.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I did not realize it was so little compared to the $50 million Ciaa value to Charlotte. Seems like it would have grown by now.

They had a good crowd last night.  The main difference is the MEAC is still about basketball. They go to the games and back to the hotels. The partygoers aren't here. 

Compared to other mid-major conferences the MEAC is doing much better than most it comes to attendance.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

They had a good crowd last night.  The main difference is the MEAC is still about basketball. They go to the games and back to the hotels. The partygoers aren't here. 

Compared to other mid-major conferences the MEAC is doing much better than most it comes to attendance.

you're correct.  most folk who attend the meac tournament come there to "watch basketball".  parties are seconday, parties are not the main attractions at the meac tournament.  but most of the games, especially friday and saturday, are well attended...

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile

Being about basketball clearly isn't helping the bottom line. 5 million is nothing to sneeze at but when compared to the CIAA's 50 million ..... Geesh.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Being about basketball clearly isn't helping the bottom line. 5 million is nothing to sneeze at but when compared to the CIAA's 50 million ..... Geesh.

the meac tournament will "never" be on the same level as the ciaa tournament even though meac schools far outnumber ciaa schools in terms of "enrollments".  but unlike the ciaa, our schools are scattered all up and down the east coast. 1 in delaware, 3 in maryland, 1 in dc, 1 in virginia, 2 in north carolina, 1 in south carolina, 1 in georgia (soon be in the siac) and 2 in florida.

because our schools are so spreaded out, we'll never reach the potential attendance we'd have if our schools were closer together...

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The City of Norfolk loves that $5 million.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The City of Norfolk loves that $5 million.

Just like I love my $36 tax refund check the state sent me yesterday. I love it because I did not have to pay.  :nod:

Offline CEME2

• Assistant GM
  • Smoke'em, if you got one. Don't ask me for none.
    • View Profile
The Almighty MEAC always blogging about the CIAA Basketball Tournament bringing in just $5 Million compare to $50 Million by the CIAA Basketball Tournament Annual Income. It’s pitiful MEAC Leadership, do your homework and stay the hell out of the CIAA Financial Affairs.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 08:39:31 PM by CEME2 »

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
^^^ :shrug:^^^  You might want to re-read the posts. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline CEME2

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Eagle 🦅 Pride,
It’s very clear about the article, $5 million for the MEAC Tournament in Norfolk compared to $50 million for the CIAA Tournament in Charlotte.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile

the meac tournament will "never" be on the same level as the ciaa tournament even though meac schools far outnumber ciaa schools in terms of "enrollments".  but unlike the ciaa, our schools are scattered all up and down the east coast. 1 in delaware, 3 in maryland, 1 in dc, 1 in virginia, 2 in north carolina, 1 in south carolina, 1 in georgia (soon be in the siac) and 2 in florida.

because our schools are so spreaded out, we'll never reach the potential attendance we'd have if our schools were closer together...

No one is saying the MEAC should be on the level of the CIAA. However , every CIAA you read this board and you would think the CIAA is the worst thing ever. My point is with the quality of schools and their size, our tournament should be more. And that we can't sweep around the CIAA door when ours has all kind of trash in front of it

Offline CEME2

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Professor,
Thank for being realistic unlike that Eagle 🦅 Pride.  Those Eagles 🦅 always think that are better than anyone else.  The NCAA is watching your every move Eagles, Thank You Again Mr. Aggie.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News