News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Manafort sentencing marks rare reprieve for Trump world in Mueller probe  (Read 242 times)

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Manafort sentencing marks rare reprieve for Trump world in Mueller probe

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/politics/donald-trump-paul-manafort-sentencing/index.html

Washington (CNN)Donald Trump has rarely caught a break since special counsel Robert Mueller clamped a vise around his White House two years ago.

Yet the President likely got to savor a few, rare crumbs of comfort on Thursday as he faces down an expansive set of criminal, civil and congressional investigations into his presidency, campaign, business empire and personal life.

The Virginia judge who handed Trump's former campaign chairman Paul Manafort a 47-month sentence -- far below the federal guidelines for his crimes -- also gave Trump a propaganda tool for his fervent effort to discredit Mueller's investigation.

Trump had already seized on new doubts about the credibility of his former lawyer Michael Cohen, who branded the President a con man and a liar in a sensational Capitol Hill hearing last week, but who is facing new accusations of perjury.
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
"I think what most importantly what you saw today is the same thing that we said from Day 1," said Manafort's lawyer, Kevin Downing outside court. "There is absolutely no evidence that Paul Manafort was involved in any collusion with any government official from Russia."

Manafort's lawyers had sought to show during the trial that their client was prosecuted more rigorously than another defendant might have been owing to his close links to the President -- an argument Ellis seemed to accept.

……

"The American people would be justified in feeling that there has been some miscarriage of justice here in the leniency of this sentence," Sen. Richard Blumenthal, D-Connecticut, told CNN's Erin Burnett on "OutFront."

Freshman Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez blasted Manafort's sentencing as a prime example of sentencing disparities between high- and low-income defendants.

"Paul Manafort getting such little jail time for such serious crimes lays out for the world how it's almost impossible for rich people to go to jail for the same amount of time as someone who is lower income," the New York Democrat tweeted. "In our current broken system, 'justice' isn't blind. It's bought."

Elie Honig, a former federal prosecutor and CNN legal commentator said that a below-guidelines sentence would have been perfectly fair, but that 47 months "is a joke."

"Steal millions from US Government, violate bail, get convicted by jury, fake cooperate, lie to prosecutors, refuse to accept responsibility - and get an enormous break. That's an unjust sentence," Honig tweeted.

In the short term, Trump and his allies are likely to seize upon the sentence to argue that Mueller fell short of his goals after an ambitious trial and reached beyond his mandate by pursuing him at all.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/08/politics/donald-trump-paul-manafort-sentencing/index.html

Ellis had faced criticism by some in the legal community for comments he made during the trial that were widely interpreted as biased against the prosecution. Ellis repeatedly interrupted prosecutors, told them to stop using the word “oligarch” to describe people associated with Manafort because it made him seem “despicable,” and objected to pictures of Manafort’s luxury items they planned to show jurors.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-manafort/judge-gives-trump-ex-aide-manafort-leniency-under-four-years-in-prison-idUSKCN1QO17N?il=0

« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:22:38 AM by Wildman78 »

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
I also heard that Manafort was not contrite and the judge even acknowledged that...and still gave him 47 months.  :shrug:

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The judge saw through Muller's attempt to exact retribution of Manafort (albeit he did violate laws) because Manafort was associated with the Trump campaign. Thank God for this wise judge.

(YOU HAVE SECOND DEGREE MURDERERS NOT GETTING THE TYPE TIME MUELLER WAS RECOMMENDING.

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
I also heard that Manafort was not contrite and the judge even acknowledged that...and still gave him 47 months.  :shrug:

THE RECOMMENDED TIME WAS 19-24 YEARS.  THE QUESTION NOW IS WHY WAS THE SENTENCE SO FAR FROM THE RECOMMENDED LIMITS?  I HAVE HEARD OF BURGULARS RECEIVING LIFE SENTENCES.  THIS MAN DEFRAUDED THE U.S. TAXPAYER OF OVER $17M.  ...AND SOME WONDER WHY FAITH IN FAIRNESS AND INTEGRITY IN THE THE U.S. GOVERNMENT IS FADING.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The judge saw through Muller's attempt to exact retribution of Manafort (albeit he did violate laws) because Manafort was associated with the Trump campaign. Thank God for this wise judge.

(YOU HAVE SECOND DEGREE MURDERERS NOT GETTING THE TYPE TIME MUELLER WAS RECOMMENDING.

That's the same argumment my drug dealing client's make when there advisory guideline ranges are high. Funny how the Judges routinely reject that argument when it's made by drug dealers. I call it the "I ain't kilt nobody" argument.

Oh well, let's see what the Judge in D.C. does.

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
...AND SOME COONS WONDER WHY FAITH IN THE AMERICAN JUDICIARY AND OTHER ASPECTS OF GOVERNMENT ARE DIMINISHING.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2019/03/08/legal-community-lashes-out-inequity-manaforts-mind-boggling-month-sentence/?utm_term=.55300888eff9
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline oldsport

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

THE RECOMMENDED TIME WAS 19-24 YEARS.  THE QUESTION NOW IS WHY WAS THE SENTENCE SO FAR FROM THE RECOMMENDED LIMITS?  I HAVE HEARD OF BURGULARS RECEIVING LIFE SENTENCES.  THIS MAN DEFRAUDED THE U.S. TAXPAYER OF OVER $17M.  ...AND SOME WONDER WHY FAITH IN FAIRNESS AND INTEGRITY IN THE THE U.S. GOVERNMENT IS FADING.

The Clintons had done worse and they're not doing a day! GET REAL!

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
...AND SOME COONS WONDER WHY FAITH IN THE AMERICAN JUDICIARY AND OTHER ASPECTS OF GOVERNMENT ARE DIMINISHING.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/dc-md-va/2019/03/08/legal-community-lashes-out-inequity-manaforts-mind-boggling-month-sentence/?utm_term=.55300888eff9

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Different world for old white men.

The wheel chair was GREAT STAGING.

pro agent orange judge. 

To quote Richard Pryor, when people go to the courthouse looking for justice, that what we find JUST US!
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Please remind us of the instances when the Clintons were convicted of crimes.

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
TS Ellis, III is known for this type of sentencing. I also think he knows that the DC Judge is not going to be as lenient on old boy, especially after he violated the plea deal.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

Please remind us of the instances when the Clintons were convicted of crimes.

There you go again putting up FACTS against bullsh!t.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit

So, what crime(s) were the Clinton's charged, tried, and convicted of????

:popcorn:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News