News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: How to stop robocalls, block numbers on your iPhone, Android and even landline  (Read 171 times)

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
 :read:

How to stop robocalls, block numbers on your iPhone, Android and even landline

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/columnist/komando/2019/02/07/no-more-robocalls-how-block-unwanted-calls-iphone-android/2778059002/

1. Reject Anonymous Calls Automatically
Many robocalls come up as “anonymous” on your caller ID, while most businesses and human beings come up as identifiable phone numbers. Chances are, you could terminate all anonymous calls without missing anything important.

Depending on your service, you may have access to Anonymous Call Rejection. Try this on your landline. Make sure your caller ID is activated. Enter the magic number *77, and you will hear three beeps. Hang up, and any call that hides its number will be rejected.

This service varies by carrier, and some carriers charge extra. But it’s a helpful tool for scammers or robocallers who slip through the Do Not Call Registry.

Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Online Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
In my personal experience I find this to be false. Since retirement I had no idea how much the land line phone rang with mostly robo calls but they are NOT mostly "anonymous".  Most of the callers had a number and in some cases names of companies and/or people.

Most do not leave a message.

My cordless phone had the ability to block 30 numbers and calls designated "out of area" which are calls outside the country mostly. That filled up fast and I was tired of the phone ringing.

Found this device on the internet, https://digitone.com/digitone/

reduced many of the calls right out the box, the rest you simply press a button twice and that number will not ring again.  You have other options of blocking an entire area code, exchange numbers etc.

But I tell you the people making these calls are relentless and its a cat & mouse game to stop them from ringing your number. But this little gadget with some programming will silence them.

For the few calls I get on the cell, the iphone indicates "likely scam" and I reject the call and then block it

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 09:36:48 AM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I did not read the referenced article but M&G is correct. It's impossible to stop robo calls because the numbers are not anonymous. Not only that, the robo-caller generates prefixes from numbers from your town, to trick you into thinking the calls are local. The only defense I have found is to not answer any unknown numbers at all. If you answer, your number is packaged and sold at a premium to others. Most rob-calls are numbers generated by a computer looking for 'good' numbers to package and sell.

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I finally stopped one white telemarketer from calling me at least 3 times a day,trying to sell me vinyl siding.  I finally talked to her one day.  I asked, "mam, can I kfcku you and have mad sex?  She hung up.  Have not heard from her since.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 05:18:45 PM by SSUTigerFan »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I finally stopped one white telemarketer from calling me at least 3 times a day,trying to sell me vinyl siding.  I finally talked to her one day.  I asked, "man, can I kfcku you and have mad sex?  She hung up.  Have not heard from her since.

I've done that in the past. I  got really raunchy. When they protested, I say, 'hell you calling me, that means you want da dick.' They will never call you back.

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
 :snicker

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
I finally stopped one white telemarketer from calling me at least 3 times a day,trying to sell me vinyl siding.  I finally talked to her one day.  I asked, "man, can I kfcku you and have mad sex?  She hung up.  Have not heard from her since.

I've done that in the past. I  got really raunchy. When they protested, I say, 'hell you calling me, that means you want da dick.' They will never call you back.

Until you funk around and get Wanda on the other end....

She gonna come right over and rock your world!!

Offline SSUTigerFan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
OMG,  :snicker

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Until you funk around and get Wanda on the other end....

She gonna come right over and rock your world!!

Yeah, if there is a downside, that would be it.  ;D

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News