News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Frank Robinson, Hall of Famer and MLB's first black manager, dies at 83  (Read 221 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Frank Robinson, Hall of Famer and MLB's first black manager, dies at 83
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 03:04:03 PM »
May he Rest in Peace.

I met him when he played for the Orioles.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 03:12:03 PM »
R.I.P.  :angel:

Frank was a BEAST when he played.  MVP in BOTH LEAGUES.

Offline aggie law

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 04:10:25 PM »
First class gentleman!! :nod:

Offline Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 07:09:03 PM »
When Mr. Robinson retired after 21 seasons as a player in 1976, his 586 home runs ranked fourth behind Aaron, Babe Ruth and Mays. (He is now 10th on the all-time list.) He finished his career with a .294 batting average and 1,812 RBI (21st all time). He was named to the all-star team in 12 seasons and was a first-ballot Hall of Famer in 1982.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/mlb/frank-robinson-barrier-breaking-hall-of-fame-baseball-player-and-manager-dies-at-83/ar-BBTj3SB?ocid=ientp

Rest in Peace Mr. Frank Robinson  :angel: :angel: :angel:

Offline Daddy Bulldog

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2019, 03:13:23 PM »
The Summer of '89 I'll forever cherish.  That was the "Why nOt" year, when Frank managed the O's to within a weekend series of the playoffs with a rag-tag bunch of no-name players (the ones not named Ripken).  Remember "Babe Loops"?

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2019, 08:24:55 PM »
 :angel: :angel:

Teeny and Little

Offline CIAA-FAN

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2019, 09:51:12 AM »
Luis Aparicio, Boog Powell, Brooks Robinson and Frank Robinson. THESE WERE MY HEROES WHEN I FIRST MOVED TO BMORE IN 1966. FRANK WAS THE PRIDE OF BLACK BALTIMORE AND A FIERCE PLAYER WHO TOOK NO s**t FROM ANYONE. MAY HE NOW REST IN PEACE.
I'm an Army Civilian and former Soldier on the Army Team. I'm dedicated to my Army, Soldiers and Civilians. I will always support the mission. I provide stability and continuity during war and peace. I'll support and defend the Constitution and consider it an honor to serve our nation and my Army.

Offline Blue N Gold

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2019, 10:44:46 AM »
He was a great baseball player and an even greater man. He will be missed. :angel:

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News