News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Cheerleader accused A&T of ignoring her sexual assaalt claim  (Read 2335 times)

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Cheerleader accused A&T of ignoring her sexual assaalt claim
« Reply #45 on: February 13, 2019, 06:00:45 AM »
Guilford County has a new District Attorney. It may take a minute for her to bring charges.

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 13, 2019, 08:20:15 AM »
I’m willing to let due process run it’s course.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2019, 11:22:14 AM »
There was no rape kit involved immediately after the alleged rape took place?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2019, 02:20:47 PM »

Punchy, we are not even sure when she shared the information with anyone. When did she tell her coach, was it right after the incident or later? When did A&T police get involved, and who told them? All we know is that A&T police contacted Greensboro police later.

Again this happened off campus in a private residence. It is her responsibility to contact the police. A&T police should not have been her first option. If it happened on campus,  A&T should have been the initial contact.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2019, 05:25:30 AM »
North Carolina A&T State University chancellor addresses sexual assault investigation

GREENSBORO, N.C. -- North Carolina A&T State University Chancellor Harold Martin on Wednesday night addressed the sexual assault investigation involving one of the university's cheerleaders.

This response comes after the student government leaders and other students have voiced their concerns, asking for more to be done for sexual assault victims on campus.

https://myfox8.com/2019/02/13/north-carolina-at-state-university-chancellor-address-sexual-assault-investigation/

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 14, 2019, 09:43:52 PM »
WOW,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2019, 10:30:12 AM »

Punchy, we are not even sure when she shared the information with anyone. When did she tell her coach, was it right after the incident or later? When did A&T police get involved, and who told them? All we know is that A&T police contacted Greensboro police later.

Again this happened off campus in a private residence. It is her responsibility to contact the police. A&T police should not have been her first option. If it happened on campus,  A&T should have been the initial contact.

And it happened off campus, too? She definitely should have contacted Greensboro police first,,,,,,,,WOW,,,,,,

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2019, 09:43:11 PM »
Idk about this.  Hate this happened to her if she is telling the truth.  Being that it happened off campus, she should have called the police. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2019, 12:00:13 AM »
I agree, Martin need to step in and settle this today. If there was a violation of the clery act,  make a public apology,  show solidarity with the young lady and all assault victims, pay the fine, and reprimand the coach. That's it. How difficult is that?  :shrug: i don't think that would put the university in legal jeopardy, since at the end of the day, it  was the victim's responsibility to report an incident that happened off campus to the police.

It is also possible there was no clery violation, which considering the current environment,  puts the university in a difficult position as it relates to the court of public opinion. If they announce that there was no violation, it will seem as though the university is insensitive to young lady and her condition. There are certain things in this country  you don't challenge, Support for Israel is one and a woman who makes an assault claim is another.

So your stance is, if she was raped off campus... and only told her cheer coach... they don't have to report it? They only was she can get justice is by calling Greensboro police department?

:vomit:

And I thought you said the rest of the student body wouldn't support her because she was a freshman? Seems like SGA is behind her and the other women on campus.

And you work at a university? God help our female students... :brickwall:

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 12:02:58 AM by InTheHunt »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 16, 2019, 01:26:21 AM »
I agree, Martin need to step in and settle this today. If there was a violation of the clery act,  make a public apology,  show solidarity with the young lady and all assault victims, pay the fine, and reprimand the coach. That's it. How difficult is that?  :shrug: i don't think that would put the university in legal jeopardy, since at the end of the day, it  was the victim's responsibility to report an incident that happened off campus to the police.

It is also possible there was no clery violation, which considering the current environment,  puts the university in a difficult position as it relates to the court of public opinion. If they announce that there was no violation, it will seem as though the university is insensitive to young lady and her condition. There are certain things in this country  you don't challenge, Support for Israel is one and a woman who makes an assault claim is another.

So your stance is, if she was raped off campus... and only told her cheer coach... they don't have to report it? They only was she can get justice is by calling Greensboro police department?

And I thought you said the rest of the student body wouldn't support her because she was a freshman? Seems like SGA is behind her and the other women on campus.

From what I see, she has her supporters. It also appears the university and organized groups are taking a cursory position on her situation by focusing on the  'rape culture' on campus.  I hope you realized that amounts to a side step, a soft shoe dance by the powers that be. It seems the university is only examining  it's procedures. They will issue a report with corrective measures and may reprimand a few folk as it relates to the violation.

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2019, 10:06:10 AM »

From what I see, she has her supporters. It also appears the university and organized groups are taking a cursory position on her situation by focusing on the  'rape culture' on campus.  I hope you realized that amounts to a side step, a soft shoe dance by the powers that be. It seems the university is only examining  it's procedures. They will issue a report with corrective measures and may reprimand a few folk as it relates to the violation.

Can’t reprimand, someone has to be fired. Reprimand is meaningless, will lead to more protest. Martin can’t afford the students to storm the court at the basketball game or any other news worthy event. Don’t let this grow and end up like Folt at UNC.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2019, 11:53:28 AM »

Can’t reprimand, someone has to be fired. Reprimand is meaningless, will lead to more protest. Martin can’t afford the students to storm the court at the basketball game or any other news worthy event. Don’t let this grow and end up like Folt at UNC.

I agree, but the university has time on it's side. In a couple of months, the school year will be over, and most campus controversies end with that. When it comes to social and political issues, college student have a very short attention span.  That's understandable considering, staying in school and graduating is paramount. With that said, perhaps Martin is playing the long game. One thing about it, to a seasoned administrator, campus culture is very predictable.

I have asked a few current students about the controversy, and most did not care or knew nothing. That actually surprised me. In fairness, they were all upperclassmen. There has always been a disconnect between freshmen and upperclassmen on campus.  Freshmen get caught up in  campus politics that first year, but will eventually grow out of it. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 02:44:13 PM by Capler »

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 16, 2019, 02:19:33 PM »

I have asked a few current students about the controversy, and most did not care or knew nothing. That actually surprised me. In fairness, they were all upperclassmen. There has always been a disconnect between freshmen and upperclassmen on campus.  Freshmen get caught up in on campus politics that first year, but will eventually grow out of it. 

I would think it would be just the opposite.

Offline Oldschool

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »
The young lady alleges her coaches didn't report the incident ,someone had to alert campus police who in turn reported it to GPD back in November of last year . She came out with her story just two weeks ago . There are folks calling for someone to be fired ,but it seems like maybe she is frustrated with the pace of the investigation . It's a complicated  situation ,and we have to let it run it's course ,she is trying to win her case on social media ,and the university has to abide by the legal system and not make a rush to judgement concerning all parties involved .

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News