News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Cheerleader accused A&T of ignoring her sexual assaalt claim  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Oldschool

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
Re: Cheerleader accused A&T of ignoring her sexual assaalt claim
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2019, 02:31:52 PM »
Just a few quick observations of the comments made thus far .To the best of my knowledge no one has mentioned whether a rape kit was done on the woman ,without that a rape cannot be established unless the accused admits to the crime .That lack of evidence may explain why there have not been any charges filed .If she did in fact inform her coaches and they did nothing then that would be a violation of the Clery Act .To be clear the Campus Crossing Apts. are located over 10 blocks from the campus of UNCG ,and there is nothing but houses and a park across the street from it.NCAT has no relationship with the apartments whatsoever. My gut reaction is she is not being totally honest and is engaging in a smear campaign against the coaches ,the university and the young man,also she admits to being drunk during the alleged incident in one of her many social media post.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 02:34:59 PM by Oldschool »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2019, 03:15:18 PM »
I can't say she is being dishonest. She could've had sex with the young man, whether it was consensual or not is the question.  If she says it was one way and he says another,  the burden of proof would automatically fall on her because she is the person seeking retribution.

At this point she should hire a lawyer and take the man to court, present her evidence and allow a jury of her peers to decide who they believe.

She should approach A&T the same way, and not choose a technical loophole to make the college responsible for her situation. Take A&T to court and show  there was a break down in the chain of commands that further aggravated the situation. The court of public opinion route she has chosen is reckless  and immature.

Personally if i was her, the young man would be the  person I would be focused on with missile precision. A&T did nothing to cause the situation, and the coach had nothing to do with it either.   

If A&T did violate the Clery Act, the punishment will likely  only be a small fine. Will that be justice enough? Will that be enough to heal the wounds from a purported assault? It would not be enough for me.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 03:50:57 PM by Capler »

Offline aggie law

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2019, 03:38:04 PM »
I believe at this point "taking him to court" would have to be civil court only. :shrug:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2019, 03:45:00 PM »
Just a few quick observations of the comments made thus far .To the best of my knowledge no one has mentioned whether a rape kit was done on the woman ,without that a rape cannot be established unless the accused admits to the crime .That lack of evidence may explain why there have not been any charges filed .If she did in fact inform her coaches and they did nothing then that would be a violation of the Clery Act .To be clear the Campus Crossing Apts. are located over 10 blocks from the campus of UNCG ,and there is nothing but houses and a park across the street from it.NCAT has no relationship with the apartments whatsoever. My gut reaction is she is not being totally honest and is engaging in a smear campaign against the coaches ,the university and the young man,also she admits to being drunk during the alleged incident in one of her many social media post.

If a rape kit had been done, whether the sex was consensual or not,  the young man would have been charged, and would have been forced to appear in court to defend himself.  If she had gone to the hospital, A&T's police would have made the arrest and not passed it off to Greensboro police. If there was evidence, Greensboro police would have made an arrest. Due to the fact that none of that exists, she has taken to social media, and to the court of public opinion.  I'm sorry but sometimes in life, missed opportunities are that, missed opportunities that are gone forever. Your only recourse is to caulk it up as  a learning experience. You don't start holding folk hostage because they don't believe you.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2019, 03:50:08 PM »
I believe at this point "taking him to court" would have to be civil court only. :shrug:

That seems to be the angle here, but instead of trying to get money out of a broke turnip, she is going after the university.  And if needed, the college will give her a little chunk of change to make all of the bad press disappear.  That is what colleges do because a high value is place on your reputation.

Offline aggie law

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2019, 04:22:03 PM »
Yeah, our legal department has settled some creative claims over the years. Did you know that there is an argument for compensation for having to transfer/attend a lesser school based upon reputation of the school? :popcorn:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2019, 10:47:49 AM »
I could be wrong but, theoretically speaking, after watching her interviews, the young lady seems to be basking in the notoriety and the attention from her campus peers this situation has brought her. Based on my college leadership experience, and history of working on a campus, freshmen notoriety is very short lived, and it typically comes from other freshmen. She has shut down the cheer program and is calling for folk to be fired. I really can't see upperclassmen being supportive of a 'freshmen' disrupting the college community. Keep in mind, the key word here is freshmen. Seldom, if ever, does the campus culture allow a freshman to dictate policy.

I could be a lot more sympathetic if she was putting the young man on blast. She should be calling him out to come forward and admit to the situation as she sees it.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2019, 01:03:59 PM »
I could be wrong but, theoretically speaking, after watching her interviews, the young lady seems to be basking in the notoriety and the attention from her campus peers this situation has brought her. Based on my college leadership experience, and history of working on a campus, freshmen notoriety is very short lived, and it typically comes from other freshmen. She has shut down the cheer program and is calling for folk to be fired. I really can't see upperclassmen being supportive of a 'freshmen' disrupting the college community. Keep in mind, the key word here is freshmen. Seldom, if ever, does the campus culture allow a freshman to dictate policy.

I could be a lot more sympathetic if she was putting the young man on blast. She should be calling him out to come forward and admit to the situation as she sees it.

She has , there were flyers of his face with his name,cell phone number and hometown put all over campus. In addition , she has blasted him on twitter as well. From my sources, the young mans lawyer has advised him not to respond

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »
I want A&T to take control of the situation and make this bad publicity go away. I'm a state employee and depending the type employee you are, it's not easy to fire someone. Professors and contract employees are easy to fire. Short of murdering someone, a staff person has to be written up, given corrective measures, and written up for a third time before you can fire them.

The college's primary goal right now should be focused on self preservation, even if that means sacrificing an employee or two as a neutralizer to her scorched earth approach.  At this point it is not even about the truth, it's about damage control.

I really don't see how all of this is going to work in her favor if she continues as a student on that campus.

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile

CIAA Champions poised to defend their hoop crowns - Go Panthers!!!

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2019, 06:43:42 PM »
Gee said that the young man her daughter says raped her has also been accused of assaulting several other women and was removed from campus on Friday. A&T officials have not confirmed that at this time.

Multiple allegations should be enough to build a strong case against him. Did anyone think to call the police after one of those alleged incidents?  :shrug:

Offline InTheHunt

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2019, 10:40:13 PM »
Some schools haven't learned from Baylor and Michigan State. Harold Martin needs to get this under control now. Internal investigation should be completed by now.

If the coach failed to report what the cheerleader told her, fire the coach. Do a review of yours title IX, clery training and come up with some changes.

Martin can't afford this when he has a new boss...

Offline Aggie D.

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:14 AM »
Some schools haven't learned from Baylor and Michigan State. Harold Martin needs to get this under control now. Internal investigation should be completed by now.

If the coach failed to report what the cheerleader told her, fire the coach. Do a review of yours title IX, clery training and come up with some changes.

Martin can't afford this when he has a new boss...

I still don't know why the investigation is taking so long and the Athletic Departments decision to bench the JV squad makes no sense.  Did the alleged victim report she was rape to the coaches, did the coaches immediately act ... if the answers are yes and no the coach(es) have to go.  The University is moving too slow on this and each day this situation is gaining momentum.   

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 13, 2019, 12:42:15 AM »
I agree, Martin need to step in and settle this today. If there was a violation of the clery act,  make a public apology,  show solidarity with the young lady and all assault victims, pay the fine, and reprimand the coach. That's it. How difficult is that?  :shrug: i don't think that would put the university in legal jeopardy, since at the end of the day, it  was the victim's responsibility to report an incident that happened off campus to the police.

It is also possible there was no clery violation, which considering the current environment,  puts the university in a difficult position as it relates to the court of public opinion. If they announce that there was no violation, it will seem as though the university is insensitive to young lady and her condition. There are certain things in this country  you don't challenge, Support for Israel is one and a woman who makes an assault claim is another.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News