News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Woman in a coma gave birth, police want DNA from men who work at facility  (Read 198 times)

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
A woman in a coma for over 10 years gave birth last month. Now police want DNA from men who work at facility

The woman, who gave birth to a boy on December 29, is a member of the San Carlos Apache Tribe and has long been in a vegetative state, the tribe's chairman said Tuesday. CNN is not reporting the woman's name because she is the victim of sexual abuse.

Phoenix police said Wednesday the child was in distress at birth, and he and the mother were taken to a hospital.

"At this time, both the mother and the baby are recovering," Sgt. Tommy Thompson said.
The department's family investigations bureau launched a sexual assault investigation, he said.
San Carlos Apache Tribe chairman Terry Rambler called for justice.
"When you have a loved one committed to palliative care, when they are most vulnerable and dependent upon others, you trust their caretakers," he said Tuesday. "Sadly, one of her caretakers was not to be trusted and took advantage of her."

Hacienda HealthCare in Phoenix said police detectives served a search warrant Tuesday seeking DNA from men who work there.

CNN affiliate KPHO/KTVK has reported the woman has been in a vegetative state for 14 years, quoting a source familiar with the situation. The woman has been a patient at this facility for at least a decade following a near-drowning incident, the Phoenix-based station quoted its source as saying.

"The family obviously is outraged, traumatized and in shock by the abuse and neglect of their daughter at Hacienda HealthCare," the family's attorney, John Micheaels said. "The family would like me to convey that the baby boy has been born into a loving family and will be well cared for."
Hacienda officials have called the situation "a deeply disturbing incident" and said they are cooperating with law enforcement and state agencies.

The company's chief executive officer, Bill Timmons, resigned Monday.
Hacienda "will accept nothing less than a full accounting of this absolutely horrifying situation, an unprecedented case that has devastated everyone involved, from the victim and her family to Hacienda staff at every level of our organization," said Gary Orman, executive vice president of Hacienda HealthCare's board of directors.

Last week the state's department of economic security sent investigators to the facility for health and safety checks. Spokesman Brett Bezio said the work was finished but didn't give any details about the results of the visits with patients.

The department of health ordered Hacienda to implement "heightened safety measures," spokeswoman Melissa Blasius-Nuanez said.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/09/us/arizona-woman-vegetative-state-gives-birth/index.html

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Duh
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Aggie D.

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I live out here and this has been all over the news.  So many questions ... how did this go unnoticed by staff and family?

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I live out here and this has been all over the news.  So many questions ... how did this go unnoticed by staff and family?

Apparently they did not know she was pregnant until she went into labor, correct?  :shrug: Lord JESUS, don't let that baby be black.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

Some women don't "show" like others.

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
This is so sad and sick at the same time.
WE ARE ALL  IMPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline Optimusprime

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
What concerns me is whether a warrant to obtain the DNA samples of all the male employees of the facility, without some individualized suspicion that a particular male employee carried out the assault, would withstand constitutional scrutiny.

I'm really curious to see how all of this ends up going down. I think the warrant to collect DNA would have to be addressed to the individual rather than the facility. But even if they serve all the male employees individually with warrants to collect DNA, and as a result they identify a male employee as the assailant, it will be interesting to see the results of a suppression motion. I don't think they could clear the probable cause hurdle with respect to the individual. I don't think it's enough to tell the issuing magistrate, "a crime was committed and it was one of these 20 people." In other words, in order to stick a swab in an individual's mouth, they have to have probable cause that they'd find evidence in that mouth.

This was a horrible crime, and I really hope they catch the bastard. But I want them to do it in a way that sticks, and this way is risky, I think.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
More than employees may of had access to her.  Delivery drivers, guests, maintenance workers, landscapers, etc...

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
Terrible story

How does she look? :tiptoe:

أشد الفاقة عدم العقل

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Terrible story

How does she look? :tiptoe:
Where was your little rapey a**  nine months ago? Always talking about putting a baby in somebody.  A woman in a coma is your best shot

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Woman in a coma gave birth, police want DNA from men who work at facility
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2019, 12:39:28 AM »
What concerns me is whether a warrant to obtain the DNA samples of all the male employees of the facility, without some individualized suspicion that a particular male employee carried out the assault, would withstand constitutional scrutiny.

I'm really curious to see how all of this ends up going down. I think the warrant to collect DNA would have to be addressed to the individual rather than the facility. But even if they serve all the male employees individually with warrants to collect DNA, and as a result they identify a male employee as the assailant, it will be interesting to see the results of a suppression motion. I don't think they could clear the probable cause hurdle with respect to the individual. I don't think it's enough to tell the issuing magistrate, "a crime was committed and it was one of these 20 people." In other words, in order to stick a swab in an individual's mouth, they have to have probable cause that they'd find evidence in that mouth.

This was a horrible crime, and I really hope they catch the bastard. But I want them to do it in a way that sticks, and this way is risky, I think.

I was wondering about that. The best they can do is put the baby's DNA in the system and hope there is a match.

Offline Aggie D.

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2019, 09:02:55 AM »

Apparently they did not know she was pregnant until she went into labor, correct?  :shrug: Lord JESUS, don't let that baby be black.

Yes.  Apparently she was moaning and staff did not know why but I guess it did not take long to figure out what was happening.  The thought of it is just sad.  The facility had extremely low security and entry points all over the place.  All male workers are submitting DNA but this could have easily been someone who did not work at the facility including maybe a family member :tiptoe:

Offline Sierra

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2019, 09:37:48 AM »

Great point. I'm unsure what the law is there as it relates to searches for certain crimes, but in some southeastern states, exploratory searches aren't legal.

Do all the right things for the all the right reasons.Damn the consequences.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2019, 12:13:25 PM »
Trying to find positive in this, I hope the family embraces and love the baby because regardless of the conception, they are still a part of her. It's actually somewhat of a miracle since something like this is very rare.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News