News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: CIAA is off to B-more!  (Read 2343 times)

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: CIAA is off to B-more!
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2019, 02:28:04 PM »
With a smaller arena you can increase the energy and excitement at the games.  That increases the appeal of the games. More fans will buy tickets over time

Do you think there is  much interest in D2 ball at small private schools? The base grew back in the day when there was good ball play and  larger state schools were in the conference. Inspire of what some of you say, the parties did not kill the tournament.

No, the parties did not kill the tournament.

I just remembered hearing friends going to the Norfolk Scope. Also, I remember schools running out of tickets.

The RBC in Raleigh and the Hive in Charlotte are too large for the Tournament.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2019, 02:29:38 PM »
I'm not worried about the crime or the parties. That's why you have insurance.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2019, 03:23:01 PM »
I'm not worried about the crime or the parties. That's why you have insurance.

Life insurance.  :nod:

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2019, 05:27:26 PM »
They mad.

Ironically if yall quit going you only hurt your own school's brand and students. 

:popcorn:

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2019, 05:40:49 PM »
They mad.

Ironically if yall quit going you only hurt your own school's brand and students. 

:popcorn:

That's also one of the problems.  The schools have no brand. The conference has the brand.

Offline CEME2

• Assistant GM
  • Smoke'em, if you got one. Don't ask me for none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2019, 09:34:53 PM »
I read a article today in the Charlotte Observer.  James Anderson stated that Charlotte Hotels were gouging.  I’ve been to CIAA Tournament in the following cities, Greensboro, Norfolk, Richmond, Raleigh, Winston-Salem and Charlotte.  Each city jacked up their prices for the Tournament.  James Anderson, you wouldn’t know this because you and your hierarchy stayed at the Ritz-Carlton, letting the State, your school foot the bill.  Now if you think that harbor won’t jack up their prices, you’ll a bigger fool than I thought you were.  Your students from NC won’t travel to Baltimore and your Senior Alumni will be too afraid of the hood rats.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2019, 08:27:18 AM »
Do we really think they can force people to start going to the games. Now people will not even go to the CIAA host city at all. The city will not make as much on hotel rooms sells and food, and in tern, offer less to get the tournament.  People just don't care for sports like they use to. I would rather be known for partying and cultural events than nothing.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2019, 09:47:11 AM »
So Baltimore had the highest bid for the CIAA? If so, then complaining about it now won't do any good. I'm surprised that the city that won the bid does not have a host school(Bowie is 28 miles away), but other than that, I always have a great time whenever I visit Baltimore! I think the city will roll out the red carpet for the CIAA. Have there ever been other basketball tournaments in Baltimore in the past?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2019, 10:08:13 AM »
Well, the Tournament will be in Charlotte for 2019 and 2020.  The fans can let the CIAA know how much they love Charlotte.

The CIAA is only committed to Baltimore for 2021, 2022, and 2023.

It's not forever. The Tournament may rotate for a while.

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2019, 10:44:45 AM »
So Baltimore had the highest bid for the CIAA? If so, then complaining about it now won't do any good. I'm surprised that the city that won the bid does not have a host school(Bowie is 28 miles away), but other than that, I always have a great time whenever I visit Baltimore! I think the city will roll out the red carpet for the CIAA. Have there ever been other basketball tournaments in Baltimore in the past?

The Colonial Athletic Association (2013-2015)
https://baltimore.org/video/caa-mens-hoops-tournament-comes-baltimore

And no worries about the host school being 28 miles away. The MARC train from campus goes right into downtown, and there are a TON of alumni in the BMore City/County area.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPS
2017,2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2018,2016, 2015,2009,2002 CIAA Northern Football Champions

Offline Warpaint

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2019, 12:30:07 PM »

The Colonial Athletic Association (2013-2015)
https://baltimore.org/video/caa-mens-hoops-tournament-comes-baltimore

And no worries about the host school being 28 miles away. The MARC train from campus goes right into downtown, and there are a TON of alumni in the BMore City/County area.

That video is highlights of when the CAA tournament was in Richmond, from what I can remember the CAA didn't so well in Baltimore.  Granted that also was around the time that VCU, ODU, and George Mason left the conference. 

CIAA should have no problem exceeding the numbers the CAA drew.

Offline mrknowitall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • TLW Photography
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2019, 11:51:30 PM »
 I have read numerous posts since it was announced that the CIAA Tournament would move from Charlotte, NC to Baltimore, MD in 2021. One of the constant themes that I have seen is so many people are calling it a “bad” or “stupid” move. For some reason people feel the need to make Charlotte the home of the tournament forever. The CIAA tournament started in Washington, DC in 1946. Since that time is has also been held in Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Hampton, Norfolk, Richmond, Raleigh and yes even Baltimore, MD.

For the last 13 years, the tournament has been held in Charlotte. While in Charlotte, we saw growth of the people that came to the city for the 6-day event, we also saw many other factors that did not benefit our schools. Prior to Charlotte when the tournament was in Raleigh, much of the tournament atmosphere was centered around the basketball games as well as officially recognized CIAA events and concerts. The location of the arena in Raleigh which is situated away from downtown was a big factor in helping with game attendance. When it was announced that the tournament was moving to Charlotte, every bar, club, nightclub, hotel, restaurant in Charlotte prepared for a big pay day. While the city has seen an impact of $50 million plus, each of the schools participating are seeing a mere $1 million for participation. Not to mention the mega party/concert promoters that are getting paid all week long for hosting “unofficial CIAA events” making thousands and thousands of dollars using our schools as promotional tools with the institutions receiving no kick back. While this type of thing obviously happened in other cities prior to Charlotte, it was to a much lesser degree as no city has had the Uptown availability that Charlotte has.

For those of that go yearly, we have also seen countless issues that are borderline racist if not blatant racism from hotels, restaurants, and other businesses. We have seen hotel rates for a Super 8 room go from $59 to $500 a night. While people will be quick to say wait until you see the Baltimore hotel rates, we understand that Baltimore might already be generally higher but what has happened in Charlotte has been seemingly criminal. We have seen the pictures of the receipts from restaurants that charged a CIAA surcharge for Black patrons that looked like they were in town for the tournament but other patrons at the restaurant at the same time weren’t charged those fees. The list goes on and on. While Charlotte has been great for the exposure of the tournament on the national level, I don’t think it has been that great for growth of our already struggling institutions or great for all patrons that are bringing a huge economic impact to a city.

On to the biggest complaints that I am seeing is people continue to talk about is potential crime issues in Baltimore. NEWSFLASH!, Charlotte had many serious crime issues as well during the week of the tournament. In 2014, two people were shot at a party where Diddy was performing. That same year, the Sheraton Hotel lost their liquor license because of a shooting inside the hotel lobby. In 2015, two men were shot at an “unofficial” CIAA party at the Label Night Club. Also in 2015, two people were shot at a party hosted by T.I. and Young Jeezy. In 2016, there was a shooting where three people were charged with firing 40-50 rounds from an AK47 into the Hyatt Hotel lobby. In 2017, there was a shooting in Uptown were over 80 shots were fired at one time on the final night of the tournament. In 2018, rapper Young Dolph’s car was shot over 100 times in Uptown by unknown assailants. Also in 2018, DaQuan Shannon a 17-year old unarmed teen was shot and killed after a fight. I am just mentioning a few situations, however THERE WERE MANY MORE! So, while everyone is screaming Baltimore will be terrible, the facts state that tournament in Charlotte could be labeled as unsafe as well.

The second biggest issue that I see people addressing is that the majority of CIAA schools are in North Carolina and it simply doesn’t make sense to go away from that base. If you have ever attended any CIAA Tournament game, you will find a very limited number of current college students at the tournament. The majority of patrons are alumni of these institutions. The Washington, DC, Baltimore, Northern, Virginia area alone has a huge HBCU alumni base. Baltimore is also closer to major cities like Philadelphia and New York than say Charlotte is to a major city like Atlanta. Again, there is a huge HBCU and CIAA alumni presence in those cities. Time will tell if the move will benefit actual game attendance, but I have a feeling it will do surprisingly well in Baltimore. Surely the powers to be at the CIAA took all of this and more into consideration. The tournament has done well and continues to be the most successful HBCU tournament as well as one of the more successful conference tournaments regardless of division. I often hear people say no one is buying tickets to the games, as someone who has been yearly for quite some time, I beg to differ. There are more people purchasing tickets to the games than you would imagine. What happens if someone goes to a certain school and both their men’s and women’s teams lose early in the week, they might not attend any more of the games until the Championship games just to see who wins. Regardless of what the body in the seats may seem, the CIAA has made the money from those ticket books.

Finally, I am excited to see the potential positive economic impact to the city of Baltimore, a city that needs it. I know this was long post, but I think many people making statements and assumptions have never truly experienced the tournament or don’t think that the individuals in charge at the CIAA have considered all of the potential issues that might come with leaving Charlotte and heading north to Baltimore. I look forward to the tournament being in Baltimore over the next two years and hope that they do an exceptional job hosting it. And oh yeah…… Go VSU!

A Proud HBCU Grad (CIAA & MEAC)
Graduate of Virginia State University and Norfolk State University

Offline FunCkMaster

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2019, 09:43:26 AM »
I have read numerous posts since it was announced that the CIAA Tournament would move from Charlotte, NC to Baltimore, MD in 2021. One of the constant themes that I have seen is so many people are calling it a “bad” or “stupid” move. For some reason people feel the need to make Charlotte the home of the tournament forever. The CIAA tournament started in Washington, DC in 1946. Since that time is has also been held in Durham, Greensboro, Winston-Salem, Hampton, Norfolk, Richmond, Raleigh and yes even Baltimore, MD.

For the last 13 years, the tournament has been held in Charlotte. While in Charlotte, we saw growth of the people that came to the city for the 6-day event, we also saw many other factors that did not benefit our schools. Prior to Charlotte when the tournament was in Raleigh, much of the tournament atmosphere was centered around the basketball games as well as officially recognized CIAA events and concerts. The location of the arena in Raleigh which is situated away from downtown was a big factor in helping with game attendance. When it was announced that the tournament was moving to Charlotte, every bar, club, nightclub, hotel, restaurant in Charlotte prepared for a big pay day. While the city has seen an impact of $50 million plus, each of the schools participating are seeing a mere $1 million for participation. Not to mention the mega party/concert promoters that are getting paid all week long for hosting “unofficial CIAA events” making thousands and thousands of dollars using our schools as promotional tools with the institutions receiving no kick back. While this type of thing obviously happened in other cities prior to Charlotte, it was to a much lesser degree as no city has had the Uptown availability that Charlotte has.

For those of that go yearly, we have also seen countless issues that are borderline racist if not blatant racism from hotels, restaurants, and other businesses. We have seen hotel rates for a Super 8 room go from $59 to $500 a night. While people will be quick to say wait until you see the Baltimore hotel rates, we understand that Baltimore might already be generally higher but what has happened in Charlotte has been seemingly criminal. We have seen the pictures of the receipts from restaurants that charged a CIAA surcharge for Black patrons that looked like they were in town for the tournament but other patrons at the restaurant at the same time weren’t charged those fees. The list goes on and on. While Charlotte has been great for the exposure of the tournament on the national level, I don’t think it has been that great for growth of our already struggling institutions or great for all patrons that are bringing a huge economic impact to a city.

On to the biggest complaints that I am seeing is people continue to talk about is potential crime issues in Baltimore. NEWSFLASH!, Charlotte had many serious crime issues as well during the week of the tournament. In 2014, two people were shot at a party where Diddy was performing. That same year, the Sheraton Hotel lost their liquor license because of a shooting inside the hotel lobby. In 2015, two men were shot at an “unofficial” CIAA party at the Label Night Club. Also in 2015, two people were shot at a party hosted by T.I. and Young Jeezy. In 2016, there was a shooting where three people were charged with firing 40-50 rounds from an AK47 into the Hyatt Hotel lobby. In 2017, there was a shooting in Uptown were over 80 shots were fired at one time on the final night of the tournament. In 2018, rapper Young Dolph’s car was shot over 100 times in Uptown by unknown assailants. Also in 2018, DaQuan Shannon a 17-year old unarmed teen was shot and killed after a fight. I am just mentioning a few situations, however THERE WERE MANY MORE! So, while everyone is screaming Baltimore will be terrible, the facts state that tournament in Charlotte could be labeled as unsafe as well.

The second biggest issue that I see people addressing is that the majority of CIAA schools are in North Carolina and it simply doesn’t make sense to go away from that base. If you have ever attended any CIAA Tournament game, you will find a very limited number of current college students at the tournament. The majority of patrons are alumni of these institutions. The Washington, DC, Baltimore, Northern, Virginia area alone has a huge HBCU alumni base. Baltimore is also closer to major cities like Philadelphia and New York than say Charlotte is to a major city like Atlanta. Again, there is a huge HBCU and CIAA alumni presence in those cities. Time will tell if the move will benefit actual game attendance, but I have a feeling it will do surprisingly well in Baltimore. Surely the powers to be at the CIAA took all of this and more into consideration. The tournament has done well and continues to be the most successful HBCU tournament as well as one of the more successful conference tournaments regardless of division. I often hear people say no one is buying tickets to the games, as someone who has been yearly for quite some time, I beg to differ. There are more people purchasing tickets to the games than you would imagine. What happens if someone goes to a certain school and both their men’s and women’s teams lose early in the week, they might not attend any more of the games until the Championship games just to see who wins. Regardless of what the body in the seats may seem, the CIAA has made the money from those ticket books.

Finally, I am excited to see the potential positive economic impact to the city of Baltimore, a city that needs it. I know this was long post, but I think many people making statements and assumptions have never truly experienced the tournament or don’t think that the individuals in charge at the CIAA have considered all of the potential issues that might come with leaving Charlotte and heading north to Baltimore. I look forward to the tournament being in Baltimore over the next two years and hope that they do an exceptional job hosting it. And oh yeah…… Go VSU!

Historically, I don't agree with you that much Mr. Knowitall. But gaht-dangit!!! I agree with every bit of what you just wrote! It was actually a very good read, so no apologies for its length.

People don't understand the sheer amount of CIAA and HBCU graduates concentrated in the DMV (and Philly/NYC). I believe the tournament will continue to be successful. Just in a different place. So as my man "Beans" put it in the old 2002 (and 2005) Hood-Classic "State Property"....GET DOWN or LAY DOWN! In other words, come, or don't come. But just quit your belly-aching,  or leave it alone. Or quit your belly-achin' and get on board. This tournament will be in the south for another 2 years before it goes "Up Norf"...So just enjoy it now, and be ready for a different experience in a couple years.
BOWIE STATE UNIVERSITY
2018 CIAA FOOTBALL CHAMPS
2017,2013 & 2003 CIAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS
2018,2016, 2015,2009,2002 CIAA Northern Football Champions

Offline LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2019, 03:16:51 PM »

Historically, I don't agree with you that much Mr. Knowitall. But gaht-dangit!!! I agree with every bit of what you just wrote! It was actually a very good read, so no apologies for its length.

People don't understand the sheer amount of CIAA and HBCU graduates concentrated in the DMV (and Philly/NYC). I believe the tournament will continue to be successful. Just in a different place. So as my man "Beans" put it in the old 2002 (and 2005) Hood-Classic "State Property"....GET DOWN or LAY DOWN! In other words, come, or don't come. But just quit your belly-aching,  or leave it alone. Or quit your belly-achin' and get on board. This tournament will be in the south for another 2 years before it goes "Up Norf"...So just enjoy it now, and be ready for a different experience in a couple years.

:nod: :clap: :bow:
Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2019, 04:47:08 PM »
With a smaller arena you can increase the energy and excitement at the games.  That increases the appeal of the games. More fans will buy tickets over time

Do you think there is  much interest in D2 ball at small private schools? The base grew back in the day when there was good ball play and  larger state schools were in the conference. Inspire of what some of you say, the parties did not kill the tournament.

Facts

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News