News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: MEAC Money Games!  (Read 815 times)

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: MEAC Money Games!
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2019, 01:01:44 PM »
Common ya'll. These aren't money games. Most of our (HBCU) early season loses are to lower level teams in our divisions. These lower level schools play real money games and lose by 50 points. Then those same, lower level teams,  beat us by 50 points. Overall, we are not real DI schools... in any sport.

If there isn't a return game, a guarantee is paid to the visiting team, period.

For example, UMES got a $40,000 check from Radford (Big South) for a game this year. That money went to UMES' general fund and the coach from UMES added an item to the contract that allowed Redford to pay for the basketball team's iPad allocation which was $10,000.

So the school got  a $40,000 check and the basketball got $10K in technology.

Its only a "money game" when the payout is far greater than it would be if they played a home and home. Its hard to imagine a legit DI school not being able to generate $40,000 at a home game with concessions, parking, and tickets. We are being drug up the court by lesser mid-majors.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2019, 03:18:48 PM »
Common ya'll. These aren't money games. Most of our (HBCU) early season loses are to lower level teams in our divisions. These lower level schools play real money games and lose by 50 points. Then those same, lower level teams,  beat us by 50 points. Overall, we are not real DI schools... in any sport.

For example, UMES got a $40,000 check from Radford (Big South) for a game this year. That money went to UMES' general fund and the coach from UMES added an item to the contract that allowed Redford to pay for the basketball team's iPad allocation which was $10,000.

Its only a "money game" when the payout is far greater than it would be if they played a home and home. Its hard to imagine a legit DI school not being able to generate $40,000 at a home game with concessions, parking, and tickets. We are being drug up the court by lesser mid-majors.

Believe it if you want but those were the terms of their contract for the game last month.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2019, 03:41:01 PM »

I misspoke about them getting drug up the court by lesser mid-majors. I looked at the results of their schedule and the teams that have beaten them are all very good teams. I apologize.

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2019, 06:29:57 AM »

Several of our schools lose money on games or barely break even when hosting early season home contest. I’m sure you’ve seen December and early January games at many HBCU campuses. Because class is not in thhe gym looks like a ghost town. But schools still must staff the games either way.

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2019, 07:17:15 AM »
absolutely not.  this is how many schools are able to keep the lights on in athletics

The money teams receive from these basketball money games go into the Schools General Fund and don't stay with Athletics. Therefore, this endeavor is helping fund the entire school budget.

This is not fair.  In this case, a lot of money games should be stopped, especially state schools. The money should be used in sports only mainly basketball.

Right.  This would only be fair if the general fund subsidize athletics somehow.  I need a better understanding of college athletic funding.  I always thought athletic departments operated like enterprises.

I'm sure that you have heard of the term "institutional support". Universities and colleges do this all over the country in support of athletics. Money coming into the university via "money" games go to replacing that money in some cases. Institutional support money usually come through Auxiliary Services which pulls funds from various departments in the institutions. That money is either paid back, or written off on the financial books.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2019, 10:26:29 AM by soflorattler »

Cheap bastid...

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2019, 07:25:22 AM »

Several of our schools lose money on games or barely break even when hosting early season home contest. I’m sure you’ve seen December and early January games at many HBCU campuses. Because class is not in thhe gym looks like a ghost town. But schools still must staff the games either way.

That's because you have no fan base.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline TrueEagle

• Assistant GM
  • Asst. GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccueaf.org
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2019, 11:39:47 PM »
Unbelievable...I started posting on here in 1999 and we are still talking about who's "real" D1.   :no:
"The EAGLE is no common, ordinary barnyard fowl, and while a sparrow clings to its flock, AN EAGLE SOARS ALONE!" -Dr. James Shepherd, Founder of NCCU    :nod:

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 02:09:29 AM »
Exactly, and the same posters. Complain about your situation and leave other be.   :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: Every quarter, every year the same o same o  :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker  You know the usual schools in which this is a hot issue.  All, broke as Jobe's turkey, replete with advice on finances as to what one should or should not do.  A tragic-comic scenario relative to their state of financial  affairs.  One said to me after theCelebration Bowl that the game should be played in the state of either school at their  campus stadium :lol: :lol: because we are losing money in the MERCEDES BENZ ARENA. We have to accept there are some challenged persons on this board and in our circles.. I changed the conversation to his family and well beings of mutual old friends. Otherwise I was speechless.  :brickwall:   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:44:35 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 08:31:55 AM »
Exactly, and the same posters. Complain about your situation and leave other be.   :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: :dedhorse: Every quarter, every year the same o same o  :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker :snicker  You know the usual schools in which this is a hot issue.  All, broke as Jobe's turkey, replete with advice on finances as to what one should or should not do.  A tragic-comic scenario relative to their state of financial  affairs.  One said to me after theCelebration Bowl that the game should be played in the state of either school at their  campus stadium :lol: :lol: because we are losing money in the MERCEDES BENZ ARENA. We have to accept there are some challenged persons on this board and in our circles.. I changed the conversation to his family and well beings of mutual old friends. Otherwise I was speechless.  :brickwall:   

Then stop getting drug up the fields and courts by other school with enough money to actually fund their programs. Most comments about who's a real DI steams from posters complaining why they can't compete, but won't accept the real reasons. Stop complaining and the comparisons will stop.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 09:06:11 AM »
Continue the tirades,  which reinforces the HBCU family understandings of each other.  Would be shocked if you stopped.  A&T is a classic example of climbing. "bring me my money" is something Martin, Hilton, and Sam understand while uninvited onlookers complain.  It happens everyday with any subject or situation.  That mindset will alway be with us so your continuance is your norm.    :) :) ;) ;) ;D ;D I see above that my original post was shorten to hide like thinking friends who speak in like terms.  I understand. You'll be back with the same topic and praying their is a failure somewhere by someone.  Take a look at Chico's plan for your move which was entirely different from the others.  We know the results yet you want to preach about how not to be successful but find few acolytes on this board in support of those opining  We hear this again in a few months from the usual suspects.   
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:27:27 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 11:05:07 AM »
Continue the tirades,  which reinforces the HBCU family understandings of each other.  Would be shocked if you stopped.  A&T is a classic example of climbing. "bring me my money" is something Martin, Hilton, and Sam understand while uninvited onlookers complain.  It happens everyday with any subject or situation.  That mindset will alway be with us so your continuance is your norm.    :) :) ;) ;) ;D ;D I see above that my original post was shorten to hide like thinking friends who speak in like terms.  I understand. You'll be back with the same topic and praying their is a failure somewhere by someone.  Take a look at Chico's plan for your move which was entirely different from the others.  We know the results yet you want to preach about how not to be successful but find few acolytes on this board in support of those opining  We hear this again in a few months from the usual suspects.   

Please speak English. You are posting just to see yourself post.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 01:36:30 AM »

:snicker  I stopped reading when he said that A&T is an example. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 11:15:29 AM »

I can't understand his points most of the times. He takes the fun out of talking smack.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 12:18:09 PM »

I can't understand his points most of the times. He takes the fun out of talking smack.

Good! I thought I was the only one.

Seems he forgets to do what most learned in grade school.  REVIEW YOUR WORK or in his case post.

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News