News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: SCSU Faithful!  (Read 679 times)

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
SCSU Faithful!
« on: December 05, 2018, 05:16:45 PM »
I'm hearing rumblings that you all are looking to leave the MEAC. What say you? Where will you go?

You're just dumb. Blacks for Trump is like roaches for Raid...

Online punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: SCSU Faithful!
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2018, 08:30:50 PM »
I'm hearing rumblings that you all are looking to leave the MEAC. What say you? Where will you go?

:o :o :o :o :o
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2018, 09:42:04 PM »
 :o :o :o
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2018, 09:48:47 PM »
With all the budget issues they have....that may be the best BUSINESS decision. 
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 08:14:17 AM »
two great options.  fill the void of Claflin in the SIAC or go with their Orangeburg neighbor to the CIAA.  Either would be a major financial win.

Online punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 09:40:31 AM »
two great options.  fill the void of Claflin in the SIAC or go with their Orangeburg neighbor to the CIAA.  Either would be a major financial win.

If they decide to go the D2 route, which conference would be the best fit for SCSU geographically?

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2018, 09:49:07 AM »
Interesting. Them in the CIAA South would be interesting

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2018, 01:54:40 PM »
SC State going DII is something I’ll have to see to believe. For the sake of conversation though I think they would be a better fit in the SIAC because of their emphasis on football. If they drop down to DII it’s a safe bet that Claflin will play them in everything twice a year anyway and I really can’t think of any other reason for them to want to join the CIAA.

Offline Warpaint

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2018, 03:13:33 PM »
SC State going DII is something I’ll have to see to believe. For the sake of conversation though I think they would be a better fit in the SIAC because of their emphasis on football. If they drop down to DII it’s a safe bet that Claflin will play them in everything twice a year anyway and I really can’t think of any other reason for them to want to join the CIAA.

The SIAC would give them some close trips to Benedict, Paine, and Savannah State, but traveling to other SIAC East schools (i.e. Fort Valley and Albany State) would actually be longer trips then them traveling to CIAA South schools. Then the cross over games in the SIAC West would on average be further trips then playing CIAA North schools (plus the CIAA North schools practically mirror the territory SC State is already used to traveling in the MEAC).

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2018, 07:27:24 AM »

The SIAC would give them some close trips to Benedict, Paine, and Savannah State, but traveling to other SIAC East schools (i.e. Fort Valley and Albany State) would actually be longer trips then them traveling to CIAA South schools. Then the cross over games in the SIAC West would on average be further trips then playing CIAA North schools (plus the CIAA North schools practically mirror the territory SC State is already used to traveling in the MEAC).

Fair points but SC State just doesn't feel like a CIAA school to me. To be honest, I don't think SC State is going to go DII. Lord knows I've been wrong on these boards before, but I just don't see it. If they held out through the school almost closing their doors a few years ago, why the sudden change of heart now that things are starting to stabilize? Sure, it would probably save them a little money, but I know there's a whole lot of "pride" in their athletic programs and admitting defeat isn't something I see them doing unless it's being forced on them.

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2018, 08:58:51 AM »
I feel you...BUT....just because you survived the past issues....sometimes you need to examine the reasons that put you in that situation. 

There are a lot of proud alumni of closed schools too. 

I don't think it would be a sense of failure if they dropped down.  It would be a sense of good business to drop down.  It would be better for SCSU to make those decisions than for Ethan, Amber and the Governor to make it for them. IJS. Of course that's if this is a issue anyways.

If you guys can afford it...well more power to you.  The savings of dropping to D2 is significant.  The average D2 budget is $3.3M with football and $2.3 without.
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Not today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2018, 09:37:33 AM »
Why are we assuming that these 'rumblings of SCSU leaving the MEAC' means that they are also moving to D2? I'm not saying that they aren't but is it also possible that they may move to another FCS conference? Truth be told, they may not be going ANYWHERE. But, I'm just asking the question for conversation sake.  :popcorn:

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2018, 09:54:42 AM »
I feel you...BUT....just because you survived the past issues....sometimes you need to examine the reasons that put you in that situation. 

There are a lot of proud alumni of closed schools too. 

I don't think it would be a sense of failure if they dropped down.  It would be a sense of good business to drop down.  It would be better for SCSU to make those decisions than for Ethan, Amber and the Governor to make it for them. IJS. Of course that's if this is a issue anyways.

If you guys can afford it...well more power to you.  The savings of dropping to D2 is significant.  The average D2 budget is $3.3M with football and $2.3 without.

Trust me we’re in agreement. I’ve said here before that I believe most of our DI schools would be better off as DII. I just don’t think they’ll do it until someone forces their hand. I applaud Savannah State and WSSU because I know not too many other schools would swallow their pride and move back down.

Online punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2018, 10:16:23 AM »
Why are we assuming that these 'rumblings of SCSU leaving the MEAC' means that they are also moving to D2? I'm not saying that they aren't but is it also possible that they may move to another FCS conference? Truth be told, they may not be going ANYWHERE. But, I'm just asking the question for conversation sake.  :popcorn:

I think these "rumblings" are as a result of the financial problems SCSU had in the past. They could very well be moving laterally to the Big South, Southern, or CAA conference, or even the Southland.
Personally, I hope it's just that. Rumblings. I want them to stay in the MEAC.

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2018, 10:36:18 AM »

I think these "rumblings" are as a result of the financial problems SCSU had in the past. They could very well be moving laterally to the Big South, Southern, or CAA conference, or even the Southland.
Personally, I hope it's just that. Rumblings. I want them to stay in the MEAC.

With all due respect to the MEAC, if SC State isn’t particularly competitive there these days then what sense does moving to a presumably more competitive conference make?

2017 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News