News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Gimme 5: The top 5 HBCU homecomings (The Undefeated)  (Read 554 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
"Let's not characterize the IRS as justice." - Stone Barrington, from the novel, "Strategic Moves" (p. 142)

July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Gimme 5: The top 5 HBCU homecomings (The Undefeated)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 09:58:57 PM »
None of these, my school has the best!  Well, I think so because I don't attend other's Homecoming to know what it's like.  I am sure that most people think that their Homecoming is the bomb. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Offline House Rules

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2018, 11:33:38 PM »
I've enjoyed a wide variety of HBCU homecomings...including Tuskegee, NC A&T, NCCU, WSSU, Morehouse, Clark College (CAU), Morris Brown, Norfolk State, Livingstone, Miles, Savannah St., Elizabeth City St., Virginia State.  I never get tired of discovering each HBCUs' traditions and atmosphere.

I do believe A&T has one of, if not THE best homecoming tradition; primarily because it incorporates the entire campus in its atmosphere.  I believe WSSU's parade is one of the best I've seen; it traditionally goes through the heart of downtown Winston-Salem.  Before Morris Brown's demise, you might have 3 homecomings for three straight weekends in Atlanta - Morehouse, Clark & Mo Brown...with 3 major concerts each weekend. :nod:  I believe Morehouse has an incredible atmosphere surrounding the stadium; I wish they'd figure out how to move more of the celebration inside the stadium, like CAU.

If you ain't neva been up under the shed, you ain't neva experienced the real deal at Tuskegee.

...by the way, Jay should've mentioned that he attended Howard U.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 12:12:19 AM »
Spelhouse the Morehouse homecoming has to be in that list. It is homecoming for both Morehouse and Spelman and includes Bennett College. The atmosphere around the stadium is incredible. But there is no one on either the Morehouse or Spelman central campuses.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2018, 08:22:41 AM »
Thanks HR...  ;D

Gotta say I'm surprised we made Jay's list. He doesn't usually give us D-II types a holla... :)

Teeny and Little

Offline Aggie D.

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2018, 09:34:42 AM »
Growing up in Greensboro, going to N.C. A & T, and experiencing Aggie Homecoming, now known as GHOE, for years I have to say that I was underwhelmed when I attended homecomings at some other schools.  However, I have heard for years that homecomings at FAMU, Howard, Jackson State, South Carolina State, Southern, Spelhouse and Tuskegee rivals GHOE.  Spelhouse and Tuskegee homecomings are certainly on my bucket list to check out.  In undergrad I worked with a Bennett Bell and she would tell me the stories about how Bennett was a part of Morehouse's homecoming.  And I was once in Atlanta during Tuskegee homecoming week, the Thursday and Friday night Tuskegee parties in ATL alone made me want to stay through the weekend and make the two-hour drive to Alabama to checkout the festivities on the yard and experience the Shed.   

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2018, 10:04:48 AM »
I've been to A&T, NCCU, NSU, Livingstone, Hampton, BSU, VSU, VUU, and of course FSU.

Other than FSU's, I like VSU the best.  Everyone is so nice and friendly. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2018, 11:24:35 AM »
I've been to A&T, NCCU, NSU, Livingstone, Hampton, BSU, VSU, VUU, and of course FSU.

Other than FSU's, I like VSU the best.  Everyone is so nice and friendly.

VSU got my vote as well.  :nod: Big don't always mean better.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2018, 12:25:07 PM »

i've been to vsu's homecoming several times, it can't even remotely touch "ghoe"...

Offline Sara

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2018, 03:46:43 PM »
Jay's list doesn't matter

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2018, 05:28:10 PM »
One thing I love about Central's Homecoming is that it is truly a "Family Affair!"  Can't wait! :clap:
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline BIG GRAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2018, 10:58:41 PM »
I am so ready for NCCU's Homecoming. It is a class act and I always enjoy the tradition and family like atmosphere. Should be a big one...
NCCU 2014, 2015 & 2016 Football MEAC CHAMPS

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 08:00:45 AM »
One thing I love about Central's Homecoming is that it is truly a "Family Affair!"  Can't wait! :clap:

I've been to NCCU's homecoming and it was very nice. The people were very nice and welcoming.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2018, 08:04:14 AM »

i've been to vsu's homecoming several times, it can't even remotely touch "ghoe"...

They don't have a bunch of Negros jumping in the streets. Bigger don't mean better.

2017 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

==========