News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Is a Bad HBCU Football Product Driving More Attention to HBCU Marching Bands?  (Read 597 times)

Online klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
Some revealing statistics may show why HBCU football fans have more affinity for marching bands than the football product.
https://hbcudigest.com/is-a-bad-hbcu-football-product-driving-more-attention-to-hbcu-marching-bands/
"Let's not characterize the IRS as justice." - Stone Barrington, from the novel, "Strategic Moves" (p. 142)

July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Not today!
    • View Profile
 :shrug: Is it the band's fault if they get more attention than a mediocre or losing football team?

Does what the band do have anything to do with football players' performance and what they do? The band is there to support the team. As for the fans....they can do whatever they like.

Some fans ONLY want to see the bands and halftime shows. Same GAME ticket gets access to the game, bands and atmosphere. :nod:  We cannot really dictate what motivates folks to come to games. I am just glad that they come at all.

Everyone plays OR SHOULD play their part. Many of the bands definitely do theirs. If the team isn't producing on the field.......it is what it is. ::)

Its like being an Atlanta Falcons fan. The fans ALWAYS RISE UP....the team? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. IJS....
;D

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
We all can become like Talledega and become band only schools. Now days, HBCU dance groups are more popular than the bands, which is quite backwards since they are considered some auxillary (addition) unit for the band.  I think this backwards tradition/thinking has a lot to do with the Black culture, where we focus more on the outside pageantry of an event instead of the actual event.  For example, I've seen in some cases where there were more people who attended the homecoming concert than the actual homecoming game.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Not today!
    • View Profile
JAG89, I would have to agree with that. The last few homecomings I have attended, the stands were not full altho you had 5000 people down and around the track.  ::) For some reason that annoys the hell out of me that the school allows that. :brickwall: If you want to socialize, stay yo azzz outside with the other 30,000 folks who came to socialize.  >:( I find it somewhat disrespectful to the team.  Plenty of folks come to HC and never come inside the stadium to the game. Ok. I get that. Its a party for a lot of folks. The game has become 2nd or 3rd on the list of HC events.  :shrug:

As for regular home games, its not like folks are breaking their necks to come to our games just to see the Morehouse band. I can promise you that without a doubt.  ;D

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
And all those drum majors Morehouse has are shear pageantry.

Also, we are lost people in America who are not trying to find the correct way on how things are really done.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 04:41:32 PM by JAG89 »

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Not today!
    • View Profile
jag89, see the thread I started on WTF we got 4 drum majors for and barely got 40 band members. its just looks ridiculous...but...I digress     :lol: :lol:

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
A lot of our bands are not really involved in the game. Playing Duke, I noticed that their band never sat and were ready to play.  They played a spirit song after every first down or big play.  What I notice about NCCU, we play our spirit songs less and at the wrong times, and stopped playing the full fight song after touch downs.  I do think our bands, most of the times,are disconnected from the game. SWAC does a much better job.   
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
A lot of our bands are not really involved in the game. Playing Duke, I noticed that their band never sat and were ready to play.  They played a spirit song after every first down or big play.  What I notice about NCCU, we play our spirit songs less and at the wrong times, and stopped playing the full fight song after touch downs.  I do think our bands, most of the times,are disconnected from the game. SWAC does a much better job.

One thing Doc. Greggs was good at was watching the game and striking up the band when SU's football team did something good, even when the team made first downs.  Today's new band directors are only concerned about blowing on or against the other school's band.  They are totally disconnected from the game. Plus, Doc's son played football for SU.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Who says the focus has to be on football? Everybody is different.  It does not bother me that some people are there for the game, the band, or the tailgate. I don't know why but the highlight for many  at A&T is when Golden Delight enters the stands right after the halftime show. The crowd anticipates this and goes wild.  Go to the 11:00 mark in the below clip to see what I'm talking about.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 06:05:41 PM by Capler »

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Maybe we should have four quarters of dancing girls/band and 20 minutes of football halftime. For some strange reason I keep seeing the words 'FOOTBALL GAME' at these events. :lmao:

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I watched the A&T FAMU game.  A&T's drumline and drum majors were jamming on the track for most of the 3rd quarter while their team really needed their support on the field. :shrug: 

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I watched the A&T FAMU game.  A&T's drumline and drum majors were jamming on the track for most of the 3rd quarter while their team really needed their support on the field. :shrug:

Wasn't it A&T's homecoming???  I guess the game really wasn't as important.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

No it wasn't their homecoming. 

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Why did they line folks up on the field during halftime and allowed them to do some kind of dance???

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile

Why did they line folks up on the field during halftime and allowed them to do some kind of dance???

Not sure why they did that.  Their Homecoming game is the same as ours, on November 3rd. 

2017 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News