News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Is a Bad HBCU Football Product Driving More Attention to HBCU Marching Bands?  (Read 997 times)

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Most HBCU bands are in their own world.The game literally means nothing.They are more concerned with jokes, cross stadium battles and maybe the 5th quarter.They are so disconnected form the football game its not even funny.

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Cheer, Band, Dance, Drumline, Greek life...it's all a part of HBCU culture. My confusion is why people get mad about this. Each group has a fan club.

Waaayyyy back when I cheered in undergrad, we had a group of people (male and female) who literally JUST came to games to watch us cheer, shake, stomp, battle the other cheer team. This is not new.

The sport is great and it's great to support the student athlete. But quite honestly, HBCUs have some really impressive artists in the band and dance teams and they have their own following and folk need to support and respect that as well.

Students put in just as much time practicing for band as the athletes practice for the game. They have roughly 7-10 minutes to impress everyone on the field for 40+ hours of rehearsal a week. The "This is America" show A&T just did is an impressive piece of art and should be respected as such.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Football is the main event.  Everybody else should synchronize their support around the FOOTBALL team.  It really looks crazy when individuals compete for attention over the football team at a football game.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I go for the football but most of my local Aggie friends don't. If it were not for the band, they would likely not go at all. My preference is to sit on the 50 yard line in the reserve section. My band head friends all want to be over in the end zone with the band, which is terrible if you are there for the game. I do compromise, where I will sit in the reserve section for important games, but will sit with them other times.  Personally I don't like being that close to the band because it's too loud.   

JAG, I understand what you are saying but I commend HBCUs for expanding the experience to attract fair  weathered fans, and those who are not so into the sport.  If the focus was squarely on football, only diehard fans would even bother to show up doing a long losing streak. At A&T, the band kept the interest up when there was little to cheer about.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2018, 12:40:27 PM by Capler »

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
@cap I just started sitting on the 50. It really is a much better vantage point for watching the game. If I'm going strictly for the halftime show I really like to have field access so I can watch from the sideline.

Yes football is the central part of the day but schools like Grambling, FAMU, Bethune Cookman, A&T often have band written into the contract of big non-conference games. Why? Because they attract people! A&T's band is a huge recruitment tool. The J-5 from Jackson State are probably just as popular if not more than the athletes. They literally are world renowned. Take the band from the game and it's real quiet.

Offline Aggie D.

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
I watched the A&T FAMU game.  A&T's drumline and drum majors were jamming on the track for most of the 3rd quarter while their team really needed their support on the field. :shrug:

Wasn't it A&T's homecoming???  I guess the game really wasn't as important.

No it wasn't their homecoming.

Why did they line folks up on the field during halftime and allowed them to do some kind of dance???

It was Senior Day for band members.  They were being recognized at the end of the halftime show. 

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I watched the A&T FAMU game.  A&T's drumline and drum majors were jamming on the track for most of the 3rd quarter while their team really needed their support on the field. :shrug:

Wasn't it A&T's homecoming???  I guess the game really wasn't as important.

No it wasn't their homecoming.

Why did they line folks up on the field during halftime and allowed them to do some kind of dance???

It was Senior Day for band members.  They were being recognized at the end of the halftime show.

Okay!!!

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
@cap I just started sitting on the 50. It really is a much better vantage point for watching the game. If I'm going strictly for the halftime show I really like to have field access so I can watch from the sideline.

Yes football is the central part of the day but schools like Grambling, FAMU, Bethune Cookman, A&T often have band written into the contract of big non-conference games. Why? Because they attract people! A&T's band is a huge recruitment tool. The J-5 from Jackson State are probably just as popular if not more than the athletes. They literally are world renowned. Take the band from the game and it's real quiet.

Noise from the band should be noise that support the FOOTBALL team.  It's sad when the band is out of sync with the game and they cost their own team a penalty, which actually happened at FAMU one year when the band went over on their halftime show.  The killing part, it was FAMU's homecoming and their band was the only band to perform during halftime.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
BCU has one of the best bands but yet they do a terrific job supporting their team.  Man, when they came to Durham, they played "Go Wildcats" 1,000 times. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News