News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Which HBCUs are legit D1 and which should drop to D2?  (Read 3400 times)

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Which HBCUs are legit D1 and which should drop to D2?
« on: September 16, 2018, 05:07:59 PM »
Which of the D1 HBCUs are legitimate FCS programs and which should seriously consider dropping to D2?

Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Bethune-Cookman
Coppin State
Delaware State
Florida A&M
Grambling
Hampton
Howard
Jackson State
Maryland Eastern Shore
Mississippi Valley State
Morgan State
Norfolk State
NC A&T
NC Central
Prairie View A&M
SC State
Southern
Tennessee State
Texas Southern

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Which HBCUs are legit D1 and which should drop to D2?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 06:33:39 PM »
Maybe Hampton and Howard, but not all. :nono2:

In my view, the legitimate D1 programs are Grambling, NC A&T, NC Central, Prairie View A&M, Southern
and Tennessee State.

The programs that clearly should drop to D2 are Alabama A&M, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Coppin State, Maryland Eastern Shore, and Mississippi Valley State.

All of the others could go in either direction.

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 07:35:39 PM »
is this based on just football, FB and basketball or overall athletic programs?

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 09:18:19 PM »
Football fortunes go in cycles. A&T were garbage a few years ago and could easily revert back.Same with bad teams like JSU, and FAMU.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 09:30:58 PM »
Which of the D1 HBCUs are legitimate FCS programs and which should seriously consider dropping to D2?

Alabama A&M
Alabama State
Alcorn State
Arkansas-Pine Bluff
Bethune-Cookman
Coppin State
Delaware State
Florida A&M
Grambling
Hampton
Howard
Jackson State
Maryland Eastern Shore
Mississippi Valley State
Morgan State
Norfolk State
NC A&T
NC Central
Prairie View A&M
SC State
Southern
Tennessee State
Texas Southern

Any sports in particular, or are we talking about sports in an overall perspective?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 10:25:47 PM »
If we're being 100% honest, none of the current D1 HBCU's have the budgets to truly be competitive in all sports with PWI's. Not a single one of them. And if we're still being honest, just about every last DII HBCU (my alma mater included) would probably find more success at the NAIA level.

We can sit around here and pretend like some HBCU's are on a different level but the truth is we're all in the same boat when it comes to athletics. Some of us just get lucky more than others. I'm sure my opinion is an unpopular one but I've always felt this way.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 11:22:27 PM »

In my view, the legitimate D1 programs are Grambling, NC A&T, NC Central, Prairie View A&M, Southern
and Tennessee State.

The programs that clearly should drop to D2 are Alabama A&M, Arkansas-Pine Bluff, Coppin State, Maryland Eastern Shore, and Mississippi Valley State.

This joker here  :lol:  Strange how he put us out there but SCSU & Del State can go either way????  :crazy:  Leave it to Ole Mr. Voyeurism.  :lol:

« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 11:31:50 PM by Que82 »
Never discuss cheese with a rat, bread with a bird or make moves with a snake.

Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2018, 02:14:19 AM »
If we're being 100% honest, none of the current D1 HBCU's have the budgets to truly be competitive in all sports with PWI's. Not a single one of them. And if we're still being honest, just about every last DII HBCU (my alma mater included) would probably find more success at the NAIA level.

We can sit around here and pretend like some HBCU's are on a different level but the truth is we're all in the same boat when it comes to athletics. Some of us just get lucky more than others. I'm sure my opinion is an unpopular one but I've always felt this way.

At this point, NCAA Div II and NAIA are equal competition-wise.
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 07:07:39 AM »

At this point, NCAA Div II and NAIA are equal competition-wise.

You’re right. Then I guess DIII would be the next best option because it’s very clear that we aren’t scaring anyone in DII.

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 07:14:54 AM »

and Tennessee State.

This joker here  :lol:  Strange how he put us out there but SCSU & Del State can go either way????  :crazy:  Leave it to Ole Mr. Voyeurism.  :lol:

I put Alabama A&M out because you have the LOWEST budget in ALL of D1 athletics. :tiptoe:

I am talking about all-around athletic programs, which of course are driven by football and basketball revenues. It is a myth of assumed inferiority that all HBCUs are not resourced to be competitive as D1s. Let me prove it.

Prairie View has a budget stronger than Citadel, Jacksonville State, Eastern Washington, and Weber State. NC Central and Southern have stronger budgets than VMI, Idaho State, and McNeese State. NC A&T just beat an FBS East Carolina team that punished UNC. Some HBCUs like Grambling do not have great budgets but still historically manage to be pretty competitive. Tennessee State and even Alabama State have bonafide FCS resources and facilities. If Alabama A&M has made ripples in D1, then please inform me.

Look at the budget numbers here: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
« Last Edit: September 17, 2018, 08:14:49 AM by AimHigh »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2018, 08:46:53 AM »

You hit the nail on the head. The only reason we can compete, "sometimes", is because we get better skilled players than most PWIs on our levels. But the coaching, facilities, and budgets art vastly inferior. Not sure about going to NAIA. What high school players wants to play for an NAIA school much-less know what one is.

Offline Warpaint

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2018, 08:50:59 AM »
No love for Chicago State........

Offline TheBlackPanther

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2018, 08:57:00 AM »

You hit the nail on the head. The only reason we can compete, "sometimes", is because we get better skilled players than most PWIs on our levels. But the coaching, facilities, and budgets art vastly inferior. Not sure about going to NAIA. What high school players wants to play for an NAIA school much-less know what one is.

It's a fair point to an extent but an HBCU is an HBCU regardless of what division or league they play in. I don't think the types of recruits that end up at our schools are as concerned about what level they're playing at as some of the DI recruits are.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2018, 09:14:15 AM »

and Tennessee State.

I put Alabama A&M out because you have the LOWEST budget in ALL of D1 athletics. :tiptoe:

I am talking about all-around athletic programs, which of course are driven by football and basketball revenues. It is a myth of assumed inferiority that all HBCUs are not resourced to be competitive as D1s. Let me prove it.

Prairie View has a budget stronger than Citadel, Jacksonville State, Eastern Washington, and Weber State. NC Central and Southern have stronger budgets than VMI, Idaho State, and McNeese State. NC A&T just beat an FBS East Carolina team that punished UNC. Some HBCUs like Grambling do not have great budgets but still historically manage to be pretty competitive. Tennessee State and even Alabama State have bonafide FCS resources and facilities. If Alabama A&M has made ripples in D1, then please inform me.

Look at the budget numbers here: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

I think that report is incomplete or wrong with regard to Alabama A&M.  Any FCS AD that runs his or her program with a six million dollar+ deficit would be fired.  It makes no sense, especially considering they were at 10 million+ in revenue in 2015.

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »

The truth will set you free...but first it's going to piss you off.  Into to Lemon

From a business standpoint you are totally correct.  BUT......tradition, pride and other factors will keep programs living the D1 dream on a D2 budget.  Just imagine a fully funded MEAC or SWAC team dropping down to D2 CIAA or SIAC...with good facilities?

What are the top 3 reasons to be D1?  Be honest.  Exposure?  Revenue? Level of competition? What???

Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News