News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Ruffin wants EWC to join SIAC  (Read 1790 times)

Offline wsm

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Ruffin wants EWC to join SIAC
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2019, 10:32:46 PM »
how does the commissioner as well as council of presidents vote to accept a school who has yet to meet their first hurdle of getting accepted into Division II.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2019, 01:24:42 AM »
They need to be in the West.

Its only 5 teams in the West currently.

The East already has 6 teams.

That would even out the divisions.

Yeah but geographically they are further east than anyone else except maybe Savannah. 

It’s kind of weird, but Albany State is closer west than any other school in the east, but not by much.   If they stick to geographically splitting the conference east to west then ASU would switch over. 
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 01:27:39 AM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2019, 02:20:34 AM »
But will they be competitive in other sports too?
Men's track won the last five GCAC outdoor team championships but has not produced many qualifiers for NAIA nationals.

Women's track was second to Xavier in the GCAC last season.

Volleyball is 0-18 all-time against Xavier, so they do not appear to be a threat to Spring Hill at this time.

Women's basketball won 103 games the last five seasons but has not qualified for NAIA nationals since 2007.

Men's basketball has not qualified for nationals since 2008...0-4 in four trips to nationals. Sixth place in GCAC last season. Second-year coach Frederick Summers was the GCAC Coach of the Year at Talladega in 2017-18.

Baseball and softball both finished eight games below .500 last season. Softball did qualify for NAIA nationals opening round, then got shut out in both games. Baseball reached 30 wins four straight years from 2015-18.

Men's cross country upset Xavier for the 2017 GCAC team title, and junior Solomon Stevens was the GCAC individual champ in 2017 and 2018. But his best 8K time at the conference meet would not put him in the top 10 at last year's SIAC meet.

Women's cross country was fourth in the GCAC last season. Best finisher's time would have ranked 26th at SIAC meet.

In the GCAC all-sports standings of 2018-19, Xavier was first with 56 1/2 points, and Edward Waters was second with 41.
visit Xavier University athletics at http://xulagold.com
follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/xulagold or like us at http://www.facebook.com/xulagold
Xavier won 66 GCAC/NAIA unaffiliated group team championships and qualified for 51 NAIA national tournaments in the last 12 seasons

Offline ASURAMS07

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2019, 05:33:00 AM »

Yeah but geographically they are further east than anyone else except maybe Savannah. 

It’s kind of weird, but Albany State is closer west than any other school in the east, but not by much.   If they stick to geographically splitting the conference east to west then ASU would switch over.

It's funny you mention that. I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday but didn't wanna jinx ourselves. It makes the most logical sense but I would not like it at all honestly.
Albany State Alum 07'

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2019, 08:13:32 AM »
Because they have always played each of the western division teams in football, I believe that they are going to ask Morehouse to move to the west. They did it once before. I Would not like that either.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2019, 08:57:52 AM »
With Savannah State returning I could see Allen and EWC also returning back to the SIAC. We are slowly getting back to the Old SIAC Conference from the old days. With them three our membership will increase to 16 members You can always come Home. :nod: But they would shake up the Football Divisions as the three of them are located on the Eastern side of the SIAC footprint. I could see this as a realignment in Football.

SIAC West
Miles
Tuskegee
Central State
Kentucky State
Lane
Albany State

SIAC East
Benedict
FVSU
Allen (If they decide to return)
Morehouse
Savannah State
EWC (If they decide to return)
CAU

Without Stillman in the west the Divisions will be uneven.

Having Miles, Tuskegee and Albany St. in the same division don't seem fair in football. How would a North vs South alignment work?

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 12, 2019, 10:27:10 AM »

It's funny you mention that. I was thinking this exact same thing yesterday but didn't wanna jinx ourselves. It makes the most logical sense but I would not like it at all honestly.

I wouldn’t like it that much either.

With Savannah State returning I could see Allen and EWC also returning back to the SIAC. We are slowly getting back to the Old SIAC Conference from the old days. With them three our membership will increase to 16 members You can always come Home. :nod: But they would shake up the Football Divisions as the three of them are located on the Eastern side of the SIAC footprint. I could see this as a realignment in Football.

SIAC West
Miles
Tuskegee
Central State
Kentucky State
Lane
Albany State

SIAC East
Benedict
FVSU
Allen (If they decide to return)
Morehouse
Savannah State
EWC (If they decide to return)
CAU

Without Stillman in the west the Divisions will be uneven.

Having Miles, Tuskegee and Albany St. in the same division don't seem fair in football. How would a North vs South alignment work?

Probably wouldn’t make much difference.  They could still potentially be in the same division.  Birmingham is in Nothern AL but it is still further south than Atlanta and Columbia

North
Central State
Kentucky State
Lane
Benedict
Morehouse
CAU

South

Miles
Tuskegee
FVSU
ASU
SSU
EWC

They’re still in the same division.  Moving ASU to the west would be the most logical, but I’m not really feeling that.  I know I wouldn’t want to move if I were them.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Tiger Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 12, 2019, 10:42:13 AM »

North
Central State
Kentucky State
Lane
Benedict
Morehouse
CAU

South
Miles
Tuskegee
FVSU
ASU
SSU
EWC

MOREHOUSE....1 'o' NOT 2!!!

Its ALWAYS....PERSONAL!

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 12, 2019, 10:52:44 AM »
I know...terrible ain’t it?  But that’s how it would pan out if they did North South - they probably wouldn’t do that anyway.

Maybe they’ll scrap the divisions and just go back to how it was.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #39 on: July 12, 2019, 11:58:45 AM »
I doubt that they will go back to the old way VG. But I do see them moving to North and South Divisions.Because they like the SIAC Football Championship Game especially the players. I was talking to some Savannah State and Edward Waters Players at the Media Day and they are excited about playing in a Championship Game. Especially EWC Players they said finally we are in a good competitive Conference with a rich tradition in rivalries. I'm going to enjoy going to Florida and Savannah for Conference Sports in the Future. :nod: Our Conference is Growing we are up to 15 Schools after you include LeMoyne-Owen,Paine,and Spring Hill.
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline Blackcaesar2k5

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://thebookwiz.com/70279
« Reply #40 on: July 15, 2019, 10:10:27 PM »
I'm not fan seeing EWC leaving NAIA whatsoever. The Tigers could easily become NAIA Football power like Central State was back in the day with right leadership in place..

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News