News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Ivy League coach thinks the conference should play HBCUs in a bowl game  (Read 1436 times)

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: Ivy League coach thinks the conference should play HBCUs in a bowl game
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 11:51:34 AM »
OMG....Why most everything be one or the other with us?

Yeah but if it happens and is successful will it replace the CB  :shrug:

Hopefully, both can exist.

Because we all know only one college bowl game can exist at a time.  ::)

So because I "wonder" out loud I should be ridiculed? After 67 years in America some "hold up let's look at this again" moments are always in order.... IMO.

I certainly have no reason to want it NOT to happen. But as soon as some money starts flowing in our direction, here comes somebody else with a "proposal" that otherwise wouldn't give us the time of day.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 12:10:43 PM »
Just think of the overall benefits our schools would receive just being associated with the Ivy League? Donors of other school related matters would see us in the same sentence with Harvard, Princeton and others. This could be really big for both conferences outside of sports.

Maybe 45 years ago.  On the field I don't see us competitive year in and year out.  MEAC/SWAC schools suck playing out of conference schools.  We get a big win here and there.  The overwhelming majority begin conference play with a losing record every year.

Playing in the 1 vs 99% Bowl won't be worth much.

I disagree with the your comment about the MEAC/SWAC not being competitive with the Ivy League. They will be very competitive. The only reason we lose so many out of conference games is because we tend to play the best teams in our divisions. The Ivy League is not that good overall. Besides, we could send our best teams to the CB and the runner up plays Mr. Ivy. The CB was successful, so take that and ad to it. We complain when we get left out, now we are complaining because we are being included. Nothing can make us happy.  :shrug:

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 01:10:00 PM »
Just think of the overall benefits our schools would receive just being associated with the Ivy League? Donors of other school related matters would see us in the same sentence with Harvard, Princeton and others. This could be really big for both conferences outside of sports.

Maybe 45 years ago.  On the field I don't see us competitive year in and year out.  MEAC/SWAC schools suck playing out of conference schools.  We get a big win here and there.  The overwhelming majority begin conference play with a losing record every year.

Playing in the 1 vs 99% Bowl won't be worth much.

I disagree with the your comment about the MEAC/SWAC not being competitive with the Ivy League. They will be very competitive. The only reason we lose so many out of conference games is because we tend to play the best teams in our divisions. The Ivy League is not that good overall. Besides, we could send our best teams to the CB and the runner up plays Mr. Ivy. The CB was successful, so take that and ad to it. We complain when we get left out, now we are complaining because we are being included. Nothing can make us happy.  :shrug:
The sky is falling again.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 01:12:03 PM »
No way in hell this happens.
I bet you thought a 2million $ bowl payout would never happen either. :wink:

Offline OGRamball3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 11:05:32 PM »
You think they want to work with hbcu's now because they developed a consciuos or to do something that is to our betterment? Please! They see money and a prime time tv slot that they want to be apart of. That message was not to us....it was to sponsors and promoters to say get us in that game or one like it cause we cwn get your a larger and more affluent audience. They want what we have and we naive enough to think their involvememt betters us. Give me a break. Watch up cause you just might get pushed aside it you let them in.

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 11:39:25 PM »
You think they want to work with hbcu's now because they developed a consciuos or to do something that is to our betterment? Please! They see money and a prime time tv slot that they want to be apart of. That message was not to us....it was to sponsors and promoters to say get us in that game or one like it cause we cwn get your a larger and more affluent audience. They want what we have and we naive enough to think their involvememt betters us. Give me a break. Watch up cause you just might get pushed aside it you let them in.

^^^  Valid point, IMO.

As we know ESPN/Disney wants to make $$$. Unfortunately, the Celebration Bowl's format could change.   :shrug:  There could possibly be a SWAC vs MEAC game, that is not a bowl game, to determine who would play the Ivy League rep.   :shrug:
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2018, 01:15:55 AM »
How the heck are you going to be pushed aside from something that doesn't even exist?

Lawd help us

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2018, 05:00:13 AM »
The musings of one or two Ivy Leagues coaches will not make it a reality.. As a Howard and Ivy League alum I know this is just talk.
One the football side they Ivies like their rivalries and one or games with schools like Lehigh.  Can't be a $$ issue since all have multi billion endowments.

Hell I went to Harvard / Georgetown at RFK last season which at best had 4k there.

What this proves is the exposure of the CB has been more effective than we realize ..

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2018, 07:52:20 AM »

What this proves is the exposure of the CB has been more effective than the MEAC fans realize ..

There ......fixed it for ya! 
  I couldn't help it. But i predicted this years ago.

Online JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2018, 10:45:10 AM »
Does the Celebration Bowl have a title sponsor?   :popcorn:

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2018, 12:36:26 PM »
So two whole conferences are putting all their marbles in one post-season game. What about the other schools that do not play in that game? Sure, the Ivy boys want some of what we have, but that is what makes this whole idea work.  We act as if the Celebration Bowl is an all-black experience... it is not. The money is coming from the other side of the tracks. So we are really playing their game and do not even know it. We should be expanding our brands where we can while we have something to offer. The CB will not last forever. This is a capitalistic country and we should not forget that.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2018, 03:30:28 PM »
So two whole conferences are putting all their marbles in one post-season game. What about the other schools that do not play in that game? Sure, the Ivy boys want some of what we have, but that is what makes this whole idea work.  We act as if the Celebration Bowl is an all-black experience... it is not. The money is coming from the other side of the tracks. So we are really playing their game and do not even know it. We should be expanding our brands where we can while we have something to offer. The CB will not last forever. This is a capitalistic country and we should not forget that.
Nothing of what you just said makes any sense because nobody said any such thing. Not to mention the fact you were one of the ones that also prophesize the celebration Bowl was going to be a flop from the offset.

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2018, 06:24:08 PM »
I doubt ead the SB Nation piece.

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 07:36:31 AM »
Bad idea - it simply takes away from the CB. Maybe discard the MEAC/SWAC Challenge and replace it with an early season Classic between an Ivy and HBCU D1.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 08:11:09 AM »
Nothing of what you just said makes any sense because nobody said any such thing. Not to mention the fact you were one of the ones that also prophesize the celebration Bowl was going to be a flop from the offset.

I never said the CB would be a flop, but that the playoffs was a better way to go. Stop making-up your alternative facts to make yourself appear smart. And every point I made was a valid point.

2017 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News