News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: 2 Mexican workers fired, all Mexican workers quit  (Read 625 times)

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: 2 Mexican workers fired, all Mexican workers quit
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2018, 05:26:05 PM »
I’ve hired a Black( family)  own carpet cleaning to come out Monday. They’ve excellent reviews.  I’ll let you know how that goes. 
WE ARE ALL  MPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2018, 05:32:01 PM »
I’ve hired a Black( family)  own carpet cleaning to come out Monday. They’ve excellent reviews.  I’ll let you know how that goes.

Are they truck mounted?  It could make a big difference in drying time.  Also, if you get 'Scotchgard' make sure it's oil based.  If it's water base and your AC goes out it could evaporate. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2018, 06:14:27 PM »
This has been a good discussion. I hired a reputable plumbing company to repair a totally inoperative underground. They sent out a Mexican worker who did a good job on the front and then handed me a estimate for the back that was more than the cost of the original instillation. Even though the back yard is much bigger than the front, this made no sense to me. I never watered in the back because the grass stays green without it. I decided to do a little exploring. With the exception of two zones, I discovered that I could water the back.

You can pick up a lot of knowledge at Lowes. I found that there are low cost pop-up sprinkler extractors. I turned the system on and saw were the water was bubbling out of the ground. The pop-up unit was missing. The worker had extracted it. It could not come out of the ground and walk away and your had to know where it was. I spent three days this week carefully digging around where it should have been. There were three pipes and a electric wire in the location, so you had to be carefull. In making the extraction he had actually broken and bent one pipe, which is why I can't replace the pop-up self. While it was not visible, I think that he must have known that some underground pipes had to be replaced. It was more labor cost then materials as those two or three pipes would not have been expensive.

What we have to worry about is "anyone"including our will see us as a "mark".
By contrast, some of the most honest workers I have known are "southern white boys". That includes my regular plumber who told me "I don't know nothing about underground sprinklers".

We have one group of people who think they can rip us off and some of our own who think we owe them something. I do not think that it was his company, but that Mexican worker and the clear female that I talked to on the phone appeared to be working together.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://N/A
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2018, 06:26:58 PM »
I hired a Brother to put a new roof on my home. He did it for a good price. I was really nervous about his business license and his insurance (something about he didn't want the company in his name because of his ex wife  ::)). However, he had done several roofs in the neighborhoods, and the home owners all spoke highly of him.

The first part of the Job, removing the old roof and putting down the tar paper was done by an all Black crew. I even recognized one of my homies from the old neighborhood.

The second part of the job, putting on the new roof, was done by all Hispanics.

I wondered why that was.  :shrug:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 09, 2018, 06:34:35 PM »
I hired a Brother to put a new roof on my home. He did it for a good price. I was really nervous about his business license and his insurance (something about he didn't want the company in his name because of his ex wife  ::)). However, he had done several roofs in the neighborhoods, and the home owners all spoke highly of him.

The first part of the Job, removing the old roof and putting down the tar paper was done by an all Black crew. I even recognized one of my homies from the old neighborhood.

The second part of the job, putting on the new roof, was done by all Hispanics.

I wondered why that was.  :shrug:

Not sure what type of roof you have.  A friend of mine and I built a tower adjacent to his garage that had a hipped roof.  He had mexicans frame it and shingle it.  They were the only ones that knew how to do it.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 06:56:31 PM »
Not sure what type of roof you have.  A friend of mine and I built a tower adjacent to his garage that had a hipped roof.  He had mexicans frame it and shingle it.  They were the only ones that knew how to do it.

It is a regualar barrel tile roof.

BTW, did you ask those ministers whether whooping was against Baptist Doctrine?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:03:38 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 07:48:26 PM »
My good friend Richard  in Durham hired a local black contractor to repair his house after a kitchen fire. He fired them last week because they did not have any  money or a line of credit to complete the job. 

The bank allows for this when dealing with small businesses, by requiring them to submit a itemized list of the supplies they need to complete the job in phases. Basically they will advance you money to buy materials, once that phase is completed they will come out and inspect and give you money for the next phase. Once the total job is completed, they will give you the rest of the money, and that is when you pay yourself and your workers.

Anyway homeboy went to the bank and collected $5,000. He  spent 1 day pulling out walls and cabinets, and went back to the bank and requested $16,000. The bank said no way and gave him another $4,000. He came to the house with some electrical supplies he already had and changed out a few outlets. Three days later he went back to the bank and asked for more money but the bank said no. He went to my friend Richard and told him he needed to call his band to release more money, and until he did that, he was not coming back to the house.  Basically he was using the bank's advance to pay himself instead of buying supplies.

After two weeks with no show and no work,  the bank came out to inspect what he had done, which was basically nothing.  At that point the bank suggested he fire them and use one of their recommended blue eyed white contractors that had enough funds to do the job without needing money up front. He ended up losing the $9,000.  To recoup, he and his wife will now have to do the clean up themselves to cut cost. 

The lesson here is, -DO NOT HIRE A CONTRACTOR WITHOUT THEIR OWN MONEY OR A CONSTRUCTION LINE OF CREDIT.  It's nobel to try and help those that are your color but at the end of the day, the color that matters most is your green money. 
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 07:54:12 PM by Capler »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 08:07:07 PM »

I thought I answered that.  The missionary Baptist said they are to speak in their normal voice.  He also said that they won't last long if they do.  The Freewill Baptist said it is in the doctrine to speak in a normal voice.  She said nobody does.  She said they have talked about taking that out as far back as she can remember.  She also stated that it's still in the doctrine to avoid alcohol and strong drink. The strong drink mainly being coffee.

Online Wildman78

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 08:10:45 PM »

I thought I answered that.  The missionary Baptist said they are to speak in their normal voice.  He also said that they won't last long if they do.  The Freewill Baptist said it is in the doctrine to speak in a normal voice.  She said nobody does.  She said they have talked about taking that out as far back as she can remember.  She also stated that it's still in the doctrine to avoid alcohol and strong drink. The strong drink mainly being coffee.

Lets take this to the other thread. I do not believe the Missionary Baptist Preacher told you that it was against Baptist Doctrine to Whoop. Please give me  his name and I'll ask him myself. Did he say it was against Baptist Doctrine or it just isn't done in his church?

I don't know any Black Freewill Baptists. I've never seen a Black Freewill Baptist Church. 

That Book you referenced was first published in 1901 and it does not appear to be the authorative source for the doctrine of any denomination. 

Again, its really amazing that in all of cyberspace you can't find one source that says whooping is against Baptist doctrine.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 08:19:30 PM by Wildman78 »

Offline soflorattler

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • The Snake Pit
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 08:25:43 PM »
My roofing company was owned by a clear man with a Guatamalan crew. He gave me the best quote for a metal roof. He did it for 3 grand less than the insurance gave me. The roofing material/roof panels were made of U.S. (American) steel, and is coated. Other roofing companies here use (or did before tariffs) Chinese metal panels that rust in a few years. My roof has a 40-60 year life. I won't have to worry about replacing it again in my lifetime. The roof is very quiet when it rains, too.

You're just dumb. Blacks for Trump is like roaches for Raid...

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2018, 08:42:52 PM »
My roofing company was owned by a clear man with a Guatamalan crew. He gave me the best quote for a metal roof. He did it for 3 grand less than the insurance gave me. The roofing material/roof panels were made of U.S. (American) steel, and is coated. Other roofing companies here use (or did before tariffs) Chinese metal panels that rust in a few years. My roof has a 40-60 year life. I won't have to worry about replacing it again in my lifetime. The roof is very quiet when it rains, too.

does it look regular shingles?

Was looking at that Holmes home improvement show and they installed metal roof, but it looked like asphalt. 

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2018, 09:28:31 PM »
Like Ncs states there are some good ones and bad ones. I’ve had a Mexican rip me off for gardening when I 1st moved into my neighbor. 

I have a clear man that does any eclectic work that may occur. He’s excellent. 

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2018, 11:18:03 PM »
Man this has really gotten interesting. You can never give a small contractor all of the money up front. They not only live off what you give them, they use your money to finish their last job and you don't want to get caught in between.

There once was a time when all the framers and brick masons were black. Those were the "mud brick" men while the carpenters were white..anything that you had to make measurements for. I once would not have work done on a house I owned in my wife's hometown because the names her aunt gave me were three white contractors.They even called me. I told her that I know there has got to be some black men in this small town that you or your church members know who can do this work.

On a two car garage on a Durham house, the contractor was white. I thought that I was safe since he had built a white city council woman's garage down the street. The project went uncompleted for weeks with a huge tree stump left in my front yard that had to be removed. I sued and at least got some of my money back. I use to pass a black person's house on the way to school who had construction equipment in his backyard. I asked him if he would stop by and have a look. He not only finished the work, he had the city widden a drainage ditch on the side of my house at no charge to me.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2018, 12:24:34 AM »
I had a very good experience with a black tree removing company. Black tree removers are kind of rare because we all know a white boy can swim like a fish and climb a tree like a squirrel.  :lol: Got a quote, they showed up before I went to work, stopped by the credit union at lunch and got them a cashier check and was done. Very pleased.

Had a mixed experience with a black roofing company out of Durham. They wanted their money up front, I refused and asked why. They told me  many black customers  had stiffed them in the past. I had to prove to them that I actually had the ability to pay them. I went and got a cashier check with their name on it and held it until the job was done.  Once  the job was done is when the fire works started. They did a half a$$ed job. Once I got past that, I spent the next 5 years getting nails stuck in my shoes and in my tires when I went into the back yard.

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2018, 06:38:39 AM »
 You can never give a small contractor all of the money up front.

You know, I was going to give my electrician money to purchase some materials. He said " Don't give me no money, and don't ever give anyone money up front they will rip you off". 

I asked him to hang a ceiling medallion and chanderlier for me on a vaulted ceiling he said " It's going to be expensive". I asked " how much"  he said " $200.   :)

2017 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

==========

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News