News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Kroger to Close ALL Stores in Raleigh Durham by August 14th  (Read 329 times)

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Now this is some f***-up stuff  >:( >:(

1,500 expected to lose jobs as Kroger closes all stores in Raleigh, Durham
Tags: Articles

https://www.wral.com/1-500-expected-to-lose-jobs-as-kroger-closes-all-stores-in-raleigh-durham/17624454/

Kroger announced on Wednesday that it will be closing all stores in the Raleigh-Durham area by Aug. 14.

The news comes one day after Lidl pulled out of a planned store in Cary.

"After a thorough evaluation of the market for a significant time period, we have decided to close out stores in the highly competitive Raleigh-Durham market," said Jerry Clontz, president of the Mid-Atlantic Division of Kroger.

Clontz said that the grocery store market in the area is oversaturated and the company has not been able to grow their business in the way they desired.

Store officials said the closings will cause about 1,500 employees to lose their jobs. More than half of those employees are employed part time, store officials said.

"We've been a part of the Raleigh-Durham market since 1989, and our associates have provided customers with top-notch service," Clontz said. "Helping them through this transition is our No. 1 priority. We're making every effort to assist our associates in finding employment."

• IKEA Update: They are NOT coming to Cary after all!

Kroger plans to sell all 14 stores, and the company is under contract with Food Lion, Crunch Fitness and Harris Teeter to take over some locations.

Harris Teeter has agreed to move into Kroger stores at the following locations:

202 W. NC Hwy 54, Durham
  3457 Hillsborough Rd., Durham
  5116 N. Roxboro Rd., Durham
  1273 N.W. Maynard Rd., Cary
  8345 Creedmoor Rd., Raleigh
  940 US Hwy 64, Apex
  1802 North Point Dr., Durham
  1371 E. Broad St., Fuquay-Varina.

Food Lion will move into the store at 7905 Falls of Neuse Road in Raleigh, and Crunch Fitness will move into the store at 6300 Creedmoor Road in Raleigh.

the nearest Kroger to us on MLK Blvd isn't listed above and the one I usually go to on Southwest Dr isn't either.  Welp, there goes my "discounted" gasoline purchases  :tongue2:
They help saturate the market by putting too many stores in the market. Funny (not) they aren't closing Harris Teeter which they bought with their higher prices.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:58:38 PM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline j1908

• Assistant GM
  • A girl should be two things: classy and fabulous
    • View Profile
Re: Kroger to Close ALL Stores in Raleigh Durham by August 14th
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2018, 01:37:06 PM »
That reminds me, I have a $30 gift card. I visited Kroger 1 time and  prices ran me back to my car.
WE ARE ALL  MPORTANT BUT I AM FASCINATING !!!!!

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2018, 02:46:27 PM »
Those might be the last Kroger stores in NC. I don't think Charlotte has any. Kroger left this area years ago. Speaking of Charlotte, I think there are now closing the last of their Bi-Lo stores. At one point Charlotte was filled with those.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Grrrr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 04:17:07 PM »
Capler, what grocery stores remain in NC?

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:36:24 PM »
Of course like everywhere else, WalMart is the biggest. Food Lion is next because they started here.  Harris Teeter is big in urban areas, again Harris Teeter is local. Publix out of Florida,  is the new entry and they are expanding across the state fast. Other than  Save-a Lot, Aldi, Lidi (new entry here), Whole Foods, Trader Joe and Fresh Market (started here also), that is about it. We do have some smaller chains such as Lowes Foods, Compare, and IGA.

Speaking of Harris Teeter. Kroger bought them about 5 years ago. It is my understanding that Harris Teeter is still growing. I expect to see Kroger convert more of their stores across the country to Harris Teeter. IMO, Harris Teeter and Publix and similar, HT might be a little more upscale. JT I like better stores because the service areas are much better. HT has excellent meats, seafood and deli. I made the mistake of buying NY strips from Food Lion last month, good price but man  that cow had to be very old because the meat was stringy and tough.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:54:47 PM by Capler »

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:37:15 PM »

JT - Food Lion, Publix, Harris Teeter, Lowe's Food, IGA, Super & Neighborhood Wal Mart, Trader Joes, Aldi, Lidl, Save-A-Lot, Whole Foods, Earth Fare.

Think that's it. Cap help me out.

I'm mad about this. I live close to the one on Creedmoor Road in Raleigh. Not happy about the third Harris Teeter opening up within five miles of each other.

Shaw University - 59 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2018, 04:42:33 PM »

JT - Food Lion, Publix, Harris Teeter, Lowe's Food, IGA, Super & Neighborhood Wal Mart, Trader Joes, Aldi, Lidl, Save-A-Lot, Whole Foods, Earth Fare.

I'm mad about this. I live close to the one on Creedmoor Road in Raleigh. Not happy about the third Harris Teeter opening up within five miles of each other.

Dang, you and I basically put up the same list. I was told there is a Piggly Wiggly somewhere down in the sandhills, but I refuse to count that.  :lol:

Oh my, I googled it and there are three Piggly Wiggly left in NC. Siler City, Pittsboro and Sanford. Hey y, do you remember the Piggly Wiggly that use to be in Mt. Gilead? Apparently SC is filled with them.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 04:48:16 PM by Capler »

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2018, 04:53:19 PM »

Dang, you and I basically put up the same list. I was told there is a Piggly Wiggly somewhere down in the sandhills, but I refuse to count that.  :lol:

Oh my, I googled it and there are three Piggly Wiggly left in NC. Siler City, Pittsboro and Sanford. Hey y, do you remember the Piggly Wiggly that use to be in Mt. Gilead? Apparently SC is filled with them.

I see  :lol:

I actually saw a Red & White in Durham last week.
Shaw University - 59 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2018, 05:02:10 PM »
Don't forget the Rennisance Community Coop.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 05:29:29 PM »
That reminds me, I have a $30 gift card. I visited Kroger 1 time and  prices ran me back to my car.

Really? Only Walmart is lower than Kroger around here. Perhaps that's why their leaving. As previously stated their keeping high a-- Harris Teeter open.

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2018, 06:15:08 PM »
Being that Kroger bought Harris Teeter about 5 years ago, I figured that it would only be a matter of time before they started operating under one brand name in the RDU market.  It didn't make sense to have two different name brands within the same market. Not only that, there were a lot of duplication of operations in terms of marketing, operations, and distribution.  Operating under two names meant that Kroger had to buy two sets of TV advertising, two sets of radio advertising. and two sets of print advertising in the market for both brands.  Now they can save money and just run one set of ads.

In all honesty, the HT name is more well known and prestigious in the NC market, so it was a smart business move to keep the HT name and brand over the Kroger name and brand in that particular market.  Plus, as several of you mentioned, HT's prices tend to trend higher than Kroger, so that means higher profit margins for the Kroger Corporation.

So really, Kroger isn't closing, they are just going to operate under they subsidiaries name in RDU,
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2018, 06:20:41 PM »

Unless you have a Kroger Card, some of their prices can be a little high.  With the card, they are somewhat competitive with Walmart. 

I like the idea that you get a .10 per gallon discount for gas at Kroger or Shell stations using the Kroger card with every $100 you spend on groceries.
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2018, 06:57:52 PM »
I kinda thought that about 2 Kroger brands operating in the same market but I got lulled to sleep until the news today. We shopped HT exclusively until Kroger opened them gas stations and we switched. Only went to HT for select sale items.
I even moved my prescriptions to their pharmacy  :tongue2:

One of the stores HT will be taking has a gas station here in Durham, I wonder will they use it?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 06:59:25 PM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2018, 08:20:26 PM »
I kinda thought that about 2 Kroger brands operating in the same market but I got lulled to sleep until the news today. We shopped HT exclusively until Kroger opened them gas stations and we switched. Only went to HT for select sale items.
I even moved my prescriptions to their pharmacy  :tongue2:

One of the stores HT will be taking has a gas station here in Durham, I wonder will they use it?

If I'm not mistaken, a HT store somewhere, maybe Charlotte is testing gas sales.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2018, 08:25:10 PM »
Being that Kroger bought Harris Teeter about 5 years ago, I figured that it would only be a matter of time before they started operating under one brand name in the RDU market.  It didn't make sense to have two different name brands within the same market. Not only that, there were a lot of duplication of operations in terms of marketing, operations, and distribution.  Operating under two names meant that Kroger had to buy two sets of TV advertising, two sets of radio advertising. and two sets of print advertising in the market for both brands.  Now they can save money and just run one set of ads.

In all honesty, the HT name is more well known and prestigious in the NC market, so it was a smart business move to keep the HT name and brand over the Kroger name and brand in that particular market.  Plus, as several of you mentioned, HT's prices tend to trend higher than Kroger, so that means higher profit margins for the Kroger Corporation.

So really, Kroger isn't closing, they are just going to operate under they subsidiaries name in RDU,

HT is ahead of the curb when it comes to online shopping. I don't think they home deliver yet, but they do pull the items and bring it out and load it in your car.

2017 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

==========