News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: City loses costly land dispute to Clark Atlanta University  (Read 795 times)

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: City loses costly land dispute to Clark Atlanta University
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2018, 12:24:57 PM »
I am not surprised by Reed. He's been what he's always has been.

that's all...

Offline CU1994

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • www.cheyney.edu
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2018, 01:22:23 PM »
I still don’t understand why anyone besides CAU would think they rightfully owed the land.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 04:17:28 PM »
The city need to settle this. Who moves forward on a deal when a deed is in question? They could acknowledged CAU as being the owner at the beginning and did a deal then. Now they must pay.

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 04:47:07 PM »
No title company would insure it that's for sure if the deed is in question.

Offline Oldschool

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2018, 10:33:02 PM »
They probably thought Clark would just lay down and rollover , here in Greensboro a similar situation unfolded . They are building a Westin hotel downtown ,as part of that development the city is building a parking deck . There is a night club nearby and the city knew of an easement in the back for unloading tour buses and trucks .
However they totally disregarded it in the design and took almost all of it and offered the owner $55,000 .He sued and recently won a judgement of over $700,000 and got all of his easement back and they have to build a lift for heavy trucks .

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2018, 07:58:22 AM »
Good to hear that CAU did not get passed over here. Would’ve love to see if Morris Brown would have sold them all of this land rather than to the city or developers at the time. HBCU’s need to relook at some of these deals made.  Those schools are in prime locations and lease deals or partnerships which spur long term revenue is the way to go.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2018, 06:46:35 PM »
How could anyone think that anyone owned any old Atlanta University property but Clark-Atlanta University with whom they merged in 1988. Maybe Mayor Reed did not know but I do not believe that Morris Brown College officials did not. There is no lack of clarity about a one dollar a year lease.    What the city of Atlanta did was pay off their debt.  I, my sister, my cousins and many Atlantans including former Mayor Maynard Jackson attend Oglethorpe Elementary School on the Morris Brown College campus. It was the Atlanta University Preparatory School. We understood that it was closed when Morris Brown College asked Atlanta University for the building for use of their classes. The old lab high building had not been used in decades. The new Clark-Atlanta University renovated the building(The Knowles Building) and put it back in use.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2018, 11:16:03 PM »
They probably thought Clark would just lay down and rollover , here in Greensboro a similar situation unfolded . They are building a Westin hotel downtown ,as part of that development the city is building a parking deck . There is a night club nearby and the city knew of an easement in the back for unloading tour buses and trucks .
However they totally disregarded it in the design and took almost all of it and offered the owner $55,000 .He sued and recently won a judgement of over $700,000 and got all of his easement back and they have to build a lift for heavy trucks .

Yep. You don’t mess with anyone associated with Live Nation/House of Blues and apparently CAU.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2018, 12:08:23 PM »
So what is going to happen to Herndon Stadium?
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2018, 12:51:30 PM »
Miles Bear I, I can't find out for asking. You can see it from CAU's Panther Stadium. The two football stadiums and Forbes were all built for the 1996 Atlanta Olympics. Herndon is much bigger than either Panther Stadium or BT Harvey at Morehouse. I believe that the Morris Brown gymnasium is bring used. I don't know about the twin towers dormitories across the street. I think that they were all built on land owned by Morris Brown College. Nor do I think that it would cost a arm and a leg to bring Herndon Stadium back up to standards. For the stadium and the twin towers, what a waste.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. S.I.A.C./Mr. S.W.A.C.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2018, 03:55:43 PM »
Yes it is. But I thought the land where Herndon Stadium and MBC old President's House was also apart of CAU's Land?
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive", WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions 01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015 SIAC West Div. Football Champions
2011,2015 SIAC Football Champs
2011 Pioneer Bow

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2018, 06:12:30 PM »
I know that you are right about the old President's house. Mr. Herndon's  house which was opened for tours was also on that street. He was President of Atlanta Life insurance company and I think that it was totally family owned. He was a graduate of old Atlanta University and a great football fan. When the old undergraduate school was closed and Morris Brown moved into the property, he switched his allegiance and supported them. He built the stadium and named it for his father. I assumed that he owed the property but I don't really know.

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2018, 06:19:20 PM »
I guess that I should add that the original Herndon Stadium where all black high schools and colleges in Atlanta once played was a concrete structure in a semi horseshoe with wooden seats that seated 12,000. It was torn down for the new structure on the same location.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News