News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: I've never seen a band this precise before.  (Read 716 times)

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I've never seen a band this precise before.
« on: April 03, 2018, 04:57:40 AM »

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Not today!
    • View Profile
Re: I've never seen a band this precise before.
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 08:49:30 AM »
When I saw the title of this thread, I knew you were talking about Texas A&M's band. Precision at its best! :nod:

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 12:29:48 PM »
They all seem to be the same height and weight. Move like Robots. TA & M had to be very strict in their recruiting. No fat people, no short people, no too tall people, no too skinny people. Got to be physical, in shape or willing to be worked in shape. Look like clones.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »
Mainly because TAMU is a military school.  If I'm not mistaken, it's the largest military school in the country. The drills they do are very similar to military style drills. But I did see an individual marching with a Tuba mess up.

Offline Blue N Gold

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 02:05:34 PM »
Mainly because TAMU is a military school.  If I'm not mistaken, it's the largest military school in the country. The drills they do are very similar to military style drills. But I did see an individual marching with a Tuba mess up.

You are correct. One of the tubas did hesitate but quickly corrected himself.

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 06:06:00 PM »

TAMU is not a military school anymore than Virginia Tech is one
they both just have large ROTCs

They should have it right by now, they have been doing that drill for 50 years that I know of.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 06:07:31 PM by EPJr »

CIAA Champions poised to defend their hoop crowns - Go Panthers!!!

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2018, 11:35:09 AM »

TAMU is not a military school anymore than Virginia Tech is one
they both just have large ROTCs

They should have it right by now, they have been doing that drill for 50 years that I know of.

Just like VMI and Virginia Tech, Texas A&M is considered one of the six Senior Military Colleges in the United States, which means most, if not all of the students are required to complete some Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program, but they don't have to join the military after graduation.  Therefore, students at these schools are taught military style drills. At one time, it was required by most federal funded schools that the students participated in the Reserve Officers' Training Corps (ROTC) program, such as my alum mater Southern University.  My dad did two years in SU's ROTC program back in the 50's and 60's, which is one of the reason why Southern University has quite a few graduates who has made it to the rank of General in the Army, such as retired Lt. General Russel Honore'

Senior Military Colleges.-The senior military colleges are the following:

(1) Texas A&M University.

(2) Norwich University.

(3) The Virginia Military Institute.

(4) The Citadel.

(5) Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

(6) The University of North Georgia.

http://uscode.house.gov/view.xhtml?req=(title:10%20section:2111a%20edition:prelim)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_senior_military_college
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 02:05:28 AM by JAG89 »

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2018, 08:44:04 PM »
like I said they have a large ROTC
ALL students are not required to be a part of the ROTC
in fact Virginia Tech also have another marching band (The Marching Virginians) that is just as large as the ROTC Band
they do at VMI and The Citadel
but not at Virginia Tech or A&M
« Last Edit: April 27, 2018, 08:46:03 PM by EPJr »

CIAA Champions poised to defend their hoop crowns - Go Panthers!!!

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2018, 01:30:57 AM »
They are one of the six Senior Military Colleges in the United States. :brickwall: Unlike Virginia Tech with two bands (a ROTC band and a traditional college band), I do believe TAMU's one band is its ROTC band.  Even TAMU's band uniforms are based on a military design, which is very similar to Virginia Tech's ROTC band.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 01:41:12 AM »
Per Wikipedia, it is the largest MILITARY marching band in the world and all of its members are in the school's Corps of Cadets.

The Fightin' Texas Aggie Band (also known as the Noble Men of Kyle or just the Aggie Band) is the official marching band of Texas A&M University. Composed of over 400 men and women from the school's Corps of Cadets, it is the largest military marching band in the world. The band's complex straight-line marching maneuvers are performed exclusively to traditional marches.

Since its inception in 1894, its members eat together, sleep in the same dormitories, and practice up to forty hours per week on top of a full academic schedule. The Aggie Band performs at all home football games, some away games, and university and Corps functions throughout the year. The band has also participated in inauguration parades for many United States Presidents and Texas Governors, major annual parades across the country, and the dedication ceremony for the George H. W. Bush Presidential Library.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fightin'_Texas_Aggie_Band

Here's a closeup of TAMU Aggie band uniforms.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:44:33 AM by JAG89 »

2017 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News