News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: NCCU Women's Coach Stafford-Odoms Cuts Ten Scholarship Players  (Read 5674 times)

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: NCCU Women's Coach Stafford-Odoms Cuts Ten Scholarship Players
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2018, 01:26:19 PM »

of course i have no sympathy for the buzzards pr, but they're not doing anything that's drastically wrong. hail, a&t has taken similar actions in the past! case in point? just compare this year's aggie men's basketball roster to last year's roster? heck, there might be 3 or 4 players "at best" on the roster this year who were on our 16 man roster last year.

why might a coach do something like this? welp, just take a look at our men's basketball record from last year and compare it to this year?

last year - 2017 aggie men's record? (3-29, 1-15)
this year - 2018 aggie men's record? (20-14, 11-5)

moral of the story? these coaches have to "win" to keep their jobs. had our coach joyner kept the vast majority of the roster he inherited from coach cy alexander, he'd likely be looking for a new job this year. but instead, he "cleaned house" much the same as the lady buzzards coach is doing.

so i can't cast any shade on the lady buzzards coach...

Offline JBTheEagle

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2018, 01:50:54 PM »

of course i have no sympathy for the buzzards pr, but they're not doing anything that's drastically wrong. hail, a&t has taken similar actions in the past! case in point? just compare this year's aggie men's basketball roster to last year's roster? heck, there might be 3 or 4 players "at best" on the roster this year who were on our 16 man roster last year.

why might a coach do something like this? welp, just take a look at our men's basketball record from last year and compare it to this year?

moral of the story? these coaches have to "win" to keep their jobs. had our coach joyner kept the vast majority of the roster he inherited from coach cy alexander, he'd likely be looking for a new job this year. but instead, he "cleaned house" much the same as the lady buzzards coach is doing.

THIS!

Offline Snapper

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • ECSU
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2018, 02:07:42 PM »
I can understand a 1st year coach wanting her own players but how many coaches come in and have to work with players from the previous staff.  All of them. I don't see many of them taking this kind of sweeping action. I think ECSU womens coach did it a couple of years ago and how did that work out for them?

Coach LaQuanda Dawkins did that same mess..... had a terrible season...now she gone!!!
BLUE & WHITE TIL I DIE
PHI BETA SIGMA 4 LIFE
ECSU VIKING 4 LIFE
ECSU "SOC" MARCHING VIKING 4 LIFE

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2018, 03:00:02 PM »

Big difference is our kids chose to transfer. Had they said , we wanna stay we would have honored their scholarships. NCCU is basically saying , it didn't work out so goodbye. Those girls don't wanna leave. Note the difference

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2018, 03:56:32 PM »
There are some discrepancies in reporting if you look at different news sources. 

WTVD-11 claimed ten, then nine scholarships were rescinded.  The Herald-Sun now reports four scholarships were rescinded. 

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/college/nccu/article206839464.html

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2018, 04:49:01 PM »
We all know the reality exists that a scholly can be rescinded.  The student athletes and their parents do as well.  But no one goes into those situations expected to be that person to get their scholly rescinded.  Most figure that if they abide by the rules of the contract, don't get in trouble academically, cause no problems off the court/field, attend all team functions, give 100% of what they have, then they will not have given the coach any reason to take away the scholly.  We don't know any details but if they student athletes abided by the contract, worked hard and did as instructed, the school should honor their scholly and allow them to get the education they came for. We always talk about the importance on an education and getting one at an HBCU but these kind of things don't say education is important.  It sends a message to the  :shrug:opposite.

Offline DJTheRealist

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. Fierce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccu.edu
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2018, 04:50:09 PM »
The Athletics dept. hasn't put this or the men's transfers on the website. They should put ALL the news out there.

The new website needs another face lift if you ask me.  It's not as "user friendly" as the previous edition IMO.

It may be a while before that is posted given there are appeals and nothing is really official for a while. 
Co-Founder of the NCCU Screaming Eagles...Don't Mess With The Flock!!!

Offline DJTheRealist

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. Fierce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccu.edu
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2018, 04:51:36 PM »
Schools all over the MEAC should use this as a recruiting tool against NCCU....

Hey you see NCCU is cutting players off their women's basketball team because they are losing.

What are you going to do if your son or daughter is cut for low performance on the field or court? Why put yourself in that situation , or your child. 

Some folk can wait to spread negative shyt can you.  You're a sorry mofo.

Are you surprised?
Co-Founder of the NCCU Screaming Eagles...Don't Mess With The Flock!!!

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2018, 05:17:09 PM »

Big difference is our kids chose to transfer. Had they said , we wanna stay we would have honored their scholarships. NCCU is basically saying , it didn't work out so goodbye. Those girls don't wanna leave. Note the difference

i'm also told that 6 of our players had graduated which makes a difference.  but their coach still has to "win" to keep her job.  she probably should try to work something out with her scholarship juniors that she let go...

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2018, 06:41:38 PM »
Schools all over the MEAC should use this as a recruiting tool against NCCU....

Hey you see NCCU is cutting players off their women's basketball team because they are losing.

What are you going to do if your son or daughter is cut for low performance on the field or court? Why put yourself in that situation , or your child. 

Some folk can wait to spread negative shyt can you.  You're a sorry mofo.

Your mad at me because your coach and AD have decided to cut players off your team because of your record.

The mission of NCCU is as follows , North Carolina Central University, with a strong tradition of teaching, research, and service, prepares students to become global leaders and practitioners who transform communities.

No where does it say, athletics or winning. Parents should be aware of the decisions of your coaches and athletic leadership.

If you don't like it , then stop it from happening.

No. What I'm angry about is YOU talking about using this event as tool to recruit against us. Really?  Who the fvcka are you to be spreading rumors about stuff you know ZERO about?

One of your own posters said that your school did that same thing except it was on the men's side. So when YOUR teams are losing the coach can do what's necessary to right the ship, but we are supposed to keep a losing program in tact.

You have no cred, you should change your name from professor to DROPOUT.

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2018, 07:29:27 PM »
The Athletics dept. hasn't put this or the men's transfers on the website. They should put ALL the news out there.

The new website needs another face lift if you ask me.  It's not as "user friendly" as the previous edition IMO.

It may be a while before that is posted given there are appeals and nothing is really official for a while.

How often do you see a school announce the players that are transferring out? Smh you are Delusional

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2018, 07:50:23 PM »
Here are some comments from NCCU alumni on Facebook.  Note that the players were given evaluations early in the season.  They knew what they needed to do to improve themselves.

Carolyn Ramsey-Williams: As in all news stories you don’t get the whole story. The players were given written evaluations that let them know of areas that needed work. At this time the areas were also discussed with the player. The time and opportunity to “step up” was given. As a Division I School, I look forward to our women’s team rising to the cause — making themselves a force to be reckoned with. NCCU is on the rise and Coach STAFFORD-ODOM is making plans to help us do this. You cannot have it both ways. What do you want? Ask any of the players who were let go ... How did you contribute to NCCU’s winning tradition?

Robert Williams: Were the evaluations given at the beginning of season or end of previous season to allow the players the opportunity to train? Was there an off season program set-up by the coaches/athlectic department to help the atheltics progress? Something is mis...See More

Cynthia A. Pullen: Robert Williams you can help scholarships and resources by joining the Eagle Club. I know this not the subject of conversation, but athletics can be supported by going to nccueagleclub.com.
Manage

NCCU Eagle Club
NCCUEAGLECLUB.COM

Carolyn Ramsey-Williams: Robert Williams Coach had to evaluate and discuss before, during and after the season ... otherwise their dismissal would not have been fair ... I would think any coach would have handled it that way ....
Manage

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
There are 2 sides of every story.  The news media outlets do not like NCCU.  The newspaper does not cover NCCU athletics anymore.  But if it is negative they will be all over the story.  These young ladies were given evaluations earlier this year.  I guess they did not improve enough to satisfy Coach TS-O.
While I totally agree, I don't think NCCU did a good job of telling their story, shucks they didn't tell any story.  The players got on camera sounding like the virgin Mary and y'all came across like Judas. While this may disappear soon from the media, I'd be dayum if it would leave my memory if I was the parent of a possible recruit. :shrug: Our schools do a piss poor job of getting in front of negative stories about us IMHO. Sticking our heads in the sand is not the answer IMHO.
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2018, 08:41:55 PM »
Carolyn Ramsey Williams, THANKS for such a concise and intelligent reply to the daunting task of coaching while improving a program of WBB at NCCU.  TSO was not pluck her from the bottom of the barrel when hired and didn't release the roster of our prior coach which was clear to many of us in the stands that we had a long way to go in bettering our program.  These are the things that happens in coaching changes . The betterment of talent to fit ones coaching philosophy should be and IS expected.  TSO got all she could get from the inherited squad and the record improved with basically the same players . I don't think she could wrenched an ounce more than was given.  It appears TSO  is having a quiet  year recruiting talent to NCCU above and beyond any I have seen in years in WBB.  TSO was hired late in the year and most available talent was gone when she was introduced as HC to the family. This,  done at other institutions,  during the summer months, being missed by many and forgotten when the season rolled around.  These were super young ladies with good grades that surely will succeed in life and finishing with paper, either here are wherever. They were nice and represented the university well however marginal in WBB talent at the D1 level which isn't  personal- its business.  TSO and staff were upfront relative to expectations in  becoming better players with  meetings personal goals while transparent to parents and those affected on their development in the program.  HARD DECISIONS, but that is what good coaches do.  She found some spark plugs, with athleticism to go with a very sound incoming class.  She made room because these newbies have a high WBB IQ with potential to start or see a lot of floor time.   Loved the young ladies losing the scholarships  and hope they remain in the NCCU family. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 08:52:18 PM by Thinkingaboutit »

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2018, 08:55:16 PM »
There are two sides to every story. We don’t know if there weee issues here of team or school rule violations. The school hasn’t not commented so they will look bad at this time. The AD at this school was very successful coach in her on day prior to taking the reigns at NCCU. I highly doubt she’d allow a coach to make a major change at this level unless truly justified.

Also, these scholarships are one year renewable. Much like a academic scholarship, if someone does not take care of business there can be consequences where the scholarship is terminated. Let’s just watch and see.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News