News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: NCCU Women's Coach Stafford-Odoms Cuts Ten Scholarship Players  (Read 5696 times)

Offline DJTheRealist

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. Fierce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccu.edu
Re: NCCU Women's Coach Stafford-Odoms Cuts Ten Scholarship Players
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2018, 01:37:47 AM »
Now the press is eating this up.  I thought our stories didn't get that many clicks to be covered. :no:  Now I see why we can't get better athletes. I understand getting rid of 3 or 4, but 10. :shrug:  This makes us look insensitive and care only about winning.  If those girls from the past and now receive degrees from NCC, they are winners.

And men's basketball has atleast 4 transfering from a MEAC Championship teams... hmmm will Coach Moton be on the news next? Or is 4 acceptable and 10 unacceptable? Will their parents and the women's team parents partner for a national protect or march?

Good question! I'm not sure if they will file a complaint or not. 
Co-Founder of the NCCU Screaming Eagles...Don't Mess With The Flock!!!

Offline DJTheRealist

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. Fierce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccu.edu
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2018, 01:59:11 AM »
When I first heard about this I didn't believe it, however, I saw the news clip via WTVD I was interesting.  I guess there were some early warning signs of how many recruits she has for next year vs what she had coming back next season.  I'm curious to see how this will pan out regarding this situation.  I was never a student-athlete and learning more about how things work regarding scholarships and recruiting. 

http://nccueaglepride.com/news/2017/11/20/nccu-womens-basketball-announces-four-early-signees-for-2018-19.aspx

Co-Founder of the NCCU Screaming Eagles...Don't Mess With The Flock!!!

Offline G-Ram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2018, 03:28:27 AM »
 It's very hard to understand why someone recruit 10 girls and let them all go because it didn't pan out. Also drop their scholarships. Is it bad recruiting or bad coaching? Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, but 10 bad choices by someone... :shrug:

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2018, 08:47:03 AM »
It's very hard to understand why someone recruit 10 girls and let them all go because it didn't pan out. Also drop their scholarships. Is it bad recruiting or bad coaching? Not 1, Not 2, Not 3, but 10 bad choices by someone... :shrug:

Were some of these girls left over from the previous staff?
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2018, 08:55:00 AM »

Looks like all but 1 are from previous staff

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2018, 09:26:01 AM »
The bottom line is if this team doesn't win the coach will be the one who gets fired, so she has the right to build the team as she sees fit.

It's unfortunate to make cuts, however if there was full disclosure prior to them signing with nccu I see no problem. Besides they still have time to latch on somewhere else if they still want to play basketball.
My only question.....how does this impact APR?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:29:49 AM by Decks »

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2018, 10:18:37 AM »
It's a PR hit, but with Stafford-Odom's reputation as a good recruiter she had to do what she felt necessary.  Alums, maybe we should have a campaign to raise money to pay for the scholarships of the affected players who wish to stay?

Other than that, if she has a 20-win season in the next two years will all be forgiven? :shrug:

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2018, 10:48:36 AM »
The Athletics dept. hasn't put this or the men's transfers on the website. They should put ALL the news out there.

The new website needs another face lift if you ask me.  It's not as "user friendly" as the previous edition IMO.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:07:34 PM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2018, 10:53:25 AM »
The bottom line is if this team doesn't win the coach will be the one who gets fired, so she has the right to build the team as she sees fit.

It's unfortunate to make cuts, however if there was full disclosure prior to them signing with nccu I see no problem. Besides they still have time to latch on somewhere else if they still want to play basketball.
My only question.....how does this impact APR?

APR shouldn't hurt as long as they don't just drop out all together. Sad sign of the times. Looks like our schools are embracing P5 tactics 

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2018, 10:55:46 AM »
Schools all over the MEAC should use this as a recruiting tool against NCCU....

Hey you see NCCU is cutting players off their women's basketball team because they are losing.

What are you going to do if your son or daughter is cut for low performance on the field or court? Why put yourself in that situation , or your child. 

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2018, 10:58:09 AM »

Hey you see NCCU is cutting players off their women's basketball team because they are losing.

What are you going to do if your son or daughter is cut for low performance on the field or court? Why put yourself in that situation , or your child. 

Some folk can't wait to spread negative shyt can you.  You're a sorry mofo.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 09:53:53 PM by Maroon and Gray »

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2018, 11:14:48 AM »
I can understand a 1st year coach wanting her own players but how many coaches come in and have to work with players from the previous staff.  All of them. I don't see many of them taking this kind of sweeping action. I think ECSU womens coach did it a couple of years ago and how did that work out for them? I'm not saying she does not have the right to do this but I think she took it to the extreme.  How many of those losses were because of her coaching vs. the play of the student-athlete?  This action appears to lay all the blame on the lack of success on the athletes.  Because they were not recruited by her did she do all she could to motivate them?  Was she able to effectively communicate here philosophy, etc..  Maybe she has just brought the pro, cut throat mentality, that D1, that UNC/DUKE mentality to the job where they are not viewed as people but just cogs in a machine,  a means to the end, not young people following a dream, using their athletic ability to gain a college education because without it they may not have been able to attend college. Winning is great but not everything. Is NCCU pressuring her after one year?  Whom ever allowed the NCAA to give coaches the ability to only offer 1 year scholarships really stuck it to the athlete in favor of the coaches and the institutions.  Neither of which would be anything, athletically, without the athlete. In all honesty, this type of treatment of young people makes me sick to my stomach.  I feel for these young women.  While I don't know if they were disruptive forces in the locker room or had off the court issues but on the surface this does not sit well. I don't know if i could talk to someone who has a kid recruited by NCCU in womens basketball and not raise this issue with them so that they know the type of coach and organization they would be getting involved with.  This reflects poorly on the HBCU because they have usually been there for the student but not his time.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2018, 11:48:13 AM »

Some folk can wait to spread negative shyt can you.  You're a sorry mofo.

Your mad at me because your coach and AD have decided to cut players off your team because of your record.

The mission of NCCU is as follows , North Carolina Central University, with a strong tradition of teaching, research, and service, prepares students to become global leaders and practitioners who transform communities.

No where does it say, athletics or winning. Parents should be aware of the decisions of your coaches and athletic leadership.

If you don't like it , then stop it from happening.

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2018, 11:56:58 AM »
There are 2 sides of every story.  The news media outlets do not like NCCU.  The newspaper does not cover NCCU athletics anymore.  But if it is negative they will be all over the story.  These young ladies were given evaluations earlier this year.  I guess they did not improve enough to satisfy Coach TS-O. 

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Offline The Sloping Hills and Verdent Green

• Assistant GM
  • #1 NCCU Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2018, 11:58:40 AM »

Yes, most of them were leftovers.  A couple of them came in with the coach also.

LOOK OUT MEAC WE ARE BACK AND READY

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News