News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: NCCU Women's Coach Stafford-Odoms Cuts Ten Scholarship Players  (Read 5700 times)

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: NCCU Women's Coach Stafford-Odoms Cuts Ten Scholarship Players
« Reply #60 on: March 29, 2018, 08:18:43 AM »
Alumni that I  have spoken with are in agreement that had she not made changes we would be in the same fix for the next four years. Past coaches would bring lovely young ladies who represented themselves/the University and their families well with a high GPA and graduated with high percentages. NCCU has been successful in that area for some time.  However,we always ended up in the basement in MEAC WBB.  That does not appear to be the goal of this staff.  Maintaining high GPA and graduation rates in Women sports has not changed.  The athleticism and expectations are changing and the new coach/staff is breaking the status quo of basketball doldrums at NCCU in WBB.
 Coach Odoms is determined to improve and she has spark plugs not needing to push to improve that are inner driven by desires to get better daily to compete for championships. She went after those who had IT.  You can't put your hands or explain IT.  You just know when you see  IT,  Typically players recruited have good grades to get into school period.  TSO will be fine.  The team will be fine.  The remaining players with the newcomers will make history. Wait and see.  There will be a totally new mindset on the yard as the they come in and your have to run them out of the weight rooms at their scheduled times..
The issue here is not the releases but not properly addressing the negative press IMHO.  Even the NCCU OW posters comments give the impression that the only thing we are concerned with is a win and to hell with the student-athlete. So what parent would want to send their child to "Heartless University".  Now I know the sensitive buzzards will be offended but if you step out of your feelings for a brief moment you would see that that was the picture that was painted and no one really addressed it in the media.  :shrug:
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 29, 2018, 08:24:33 AM »
There are 2 sides of every story.  The news media outlets do not like NCCU.  The newspaper does not cover NCCU athletics anymore.  But if it is negative they will be all over the story.  These young ladies were given evaluations earlier this year.  I guess they did not improve enough to satisfy Coach TS-O.
While I totally agree, I don't think NCCU did a good job of telling their story, shucks they didn't tell any story.  The players got on camera sounding like the virgin Mary and y'all came across like Judas. While this may disappear soon from the media, I'd be dayum if it would leave my memory if I was the parent of a possible recruit. :shrug: Our schools do a piss poor job of getting in front of negative stories about us IMHO. Sticking our heads in the sand is not the answer IMHO.

Well I'm sorry we don't have a PR firm on retainer.

I feel bad for the rising seniors, but trying to rake us over the coals isn't going to garner any favors from me. The women's team has been losing since forever. Athletes have to know that winning or at least you are able to contribute to winning is necessary to retain a BASKETBALL scholly.  I didn't say academic scholly, but BASKETBALL.

A certain level of basketball skill is needed to retain a basketball scholly and the head coach is the the judge of that.
Do you really need a PR firm to state why you did something????  The only thing you need is common sense.  The coach or AD could have simply done an interview and clarified that these were only yearly scholarships (which the average person doesn't know) and give their vision of where they are trying to take the program.  Explain the evaluation process, say something nice about the players so the public won't think this was personal and move on.  If no one at the NCCU Athletic Department is smart enough to think of that y'all got some deeper problems. :shrug:

they did the 'safe' play and stated that this was a student privacy issue. I think the athletic dept. already stated that each person affected had a personal evaluation.

I have nothing further.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 29, 2018, 08:28:37 AM »
There are 2 sides of every story.  The news media outlets do not like NCCU.  The newspaper does not cover NCCU athletics anymore.  But if it is negative they will be all over the story.  These young ladies were given evaluations earlier this year.  I guess they did not improve enough to satisfy Coach TS-O.
While I totally agree, I don't think NCCU did a good job of telling their story, shucks they didn't tell any story.  The players got on camera sounding like the virgin Mary and y'all came across like Judas. While this may disappear soon from the media, I'd be dayum if it would leave my memory if I was the parent of a possible recruit. :shrug: Our schools do a piss poor job of getting in front of negative stories about us IMHO. Sticking our heads in the sand is not the answer IMHO.

Well I'm sorry we don't have a PR firm on retainer.

I feel bad for the rising seniors, but trying to rake us over the coals isn't going to garner any favors from me. The women's team has been losing since forever. Athletes have to know that winning or at least you are able to contribute to winning is necessary to retain a BASKETBALL scholly.  I didn't say academic scholly, but BASKETBALL.

A certain level of basketball skill is needed to retain a basketball scholly and the head coach is the the judge of that.
Do you really need a PR firm to state why you did something????  The only thing you need is common sense.  The coach or AD could have simply done an interview and clarified that these were only yearly scholarships (which the average person doesn't know) and give their vision of where they are trying to take the program.  Explain the evaluation process, say something nice about the players so the public won't think this was personal and move on.  If no one at the NCCU Athletic Department is smart enough to think of that y'all got some deeper problems. :shrug:

they did the 'safe' play and stated that this was a student privacy issue. I think the athletic dept. already stated that each person affected had a personal evaluation.

I have nothing further.
Well only time will tell if it was effective.  Perception is everything!!
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 29, 2018, 10:50:29 AM »
I'm sure that the football team did the same thing.  Or they will be evaluating players this spring and players that don't fit or perform will be asked to leave.  I think this has been going on since 1986 or 1987.

Sausage tastes good but not many people can watch it being made.

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 29, 2018, 01:56:28 PM »
I actually wish we were talking about sausage instead of a young persons future that hangs in the balance.  Alot of assumptions about them being alright. Optimistic yes for some but not necessarily all. For some its make or brake but I guess just another day in the value-less student athlete.

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2018, 05:43:03 PM »
The academic average for WBB is over 3.00.  As a matter of fact  the average for the majority of athletes in all sports is good.  We graduate those recruited for the most part since they have to show abilities, prior to acceptance, of fulfilling  academic required by D1  Unlike some of our cousin institution, we are doing a great job with retention and them finishing and going on to productive lives.  All of those athletes were in good standing academically and I hope they stay around to finish unless there are other teams needing them for their program..   :clap:

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2018, 08:59:39 PM »
I don't like what went down, but at the end of the day, the coach has my support. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline DJTheRealist

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. Fierce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccu.edu
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2018, 01:13:53 AM »
As reported on www.nccu.edu
http://www.nccu.edu/news/index.cfm?ID=86514BB0-D3C4-C17F-972F3125FC445F70

STATEMENTS FROM NORTH CAROLINA CENTRAL UNIVERSITY

MARCH 29, 2018

All student-athlete scholarship recipients at North Carolina Central University (NCCU) receive one-year scholarships.  This practice is consistent with the practice that is followed by other FCS institutions.  Consistent with NCAA regulations, ten members of the NCCU’s women’s basketball team received notification that their one-year scholarships would not be renewed for the 2018-19 academic year.  For more information regarding the notification and appeal process, please see the statement released by the university on March 15, 2018.

Though the student-athletes notified will no longer be members of the women’s basketball team, North Carolina Central University is committed to their success.  Of the 10 student-athletes, three will graduate in May 2018 and two will graduate in summer 2018, all from NCCU; one student-athlete is a junior; two are sophomores and two are freshmen. Several departments on campus, including the Department of Athletics and the Department of Enrollment Management, continue to work diligently to assist these student-athletes in their efforts to transfer to other schools to continue their athletic pursuits and/or to stay enrolled at NCCU and complete their academic degree programs.

MARCH 15, 2018

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) is committed to the academic excellence and well-being of all of its students. While federal and state laws prohibit NCCU from disclosing or otherwise commenting on a confidential personnel or student matter, allegations that involve the health and well-being of any member of the NCCU community are taken seriously. All reported allegations of inappropriate behavior on the part of any member of the university community are thoroughly investigated in accordance with established protocols, guidelines and procedures.

With respect to financial aid awards, athletic scholarships at NCCU are granted for one academic year. The decision to cancel, reduce or renew a student-athlete’s scholarship award is within the purview and discretion of a coach. The university also carefully complies with its obligations as per NCAA Bylaw 15.3.7.1, providing notification to student-athletes about a reduction or non-renewal of their annual scholarship by the required July 1 deadline.  Student-athletes whose scholarships are cancelled, reduced or not renewed may appeal the decision in accordance with NCCU’s scholarship appeal process for all scholarship recipients at the university.
Co-Founder of the NCCU Screaming Eagles...Don't Mess With The Flock!!!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2018, 08:01:15 AM »
Enough said for me. WBB replete with strong GPA's consistently during our losing years. Some of the nicest intelligent young ladies a school would desire on their roster.  I would imagine the University encouraging completion of studies with a year left before graduation and those bent on leaving, help but not held responsible should they not be picked up by another team.  With the grades most of the girls have established getting assistance from other grants available shouldn't be difficult.  In light of the recent study relative to graduation rates for minority athletes at the flagship institutions in North Carolina we have much to be proud of at NCCU including the GPA's of the non renewed players who in all likelihood will succeed in pursuit of academic majored goals in their lives. That is my impression as a fan from afar.   

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2018, 10:01:49 AM »
I would love to see the numbers on the SA's whose scholarship is rescinded and how that money was replaced to keep them in school. Did the FA office step up and add more money to their account?  Just how these SA make up the difference is now the question that each of these students and their families have to answer.

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2018, 11:11:29 AM »
I would love to see the numbers on the SA's whose scholarship is rescinded and how that money was replaced to keep them in school. Did the FA office step up and add more money to their account?  Just how these SA make up the difference is now the question that each of these students and their families have to answer.

Probably student loans.

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2018, 11:19:25 AM »
 :(

Offline vsutrojan95

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2018, 03:03:09 PM »

MARCH 29, 2018

All student-athlete scholarship recipients at North Carolina Central University (NCCU) receive one-year scholarships.  This practice is consistent with the practice that is followed by other FCS institutions.  Consistent with NCAA regulations, ten members of the NCCU’s women’s basketball team received notification that their one-year scholarships would not be renewed for the 2018-19 academic year.  For more information regarding the notification and appeal process, please see the statement released by the university on March 15, 2018.

Though the student-athletes notified will no longer be members of the women’s basketball team, North Carolina Central University is committed to their success.  Of the 10 student-athletes, three will graduate in May 2018 and two will graduate in summer 2018, all from NCCU; one student-athlete is a junior; two are sophomores and two are freshmen. Several departments on campus, including the Department of Athletics and the Department of Enrollment Management, continue to work diligently to assist these student-athletes in their efforts to transfer to other schools to continue their athletic pursuits and/or to stay enrolled at NCCU and complete their academic degree programs.

MARCH 15, 2018

North Carolina Central University (NCCU) is committed to the academic excellence and well-being of all of its students. While federal and state laws prohibit NCCU from disclosing or otherwise commenting on a confidential personnel or student matter, allegations that involve the health and well-being of any member of the NCCU community are taken seriously. All reported allegations of inappropriate behavior on the part of any member of the university community are thoroughly investigated in accordance with established protocols, guidelines and procedures.

With respect to financial aid awards, athletic scholarships at NCCU are granted for one academic year. The decision to cancel, reduce or renew a student-athlete’s scholarship award is within the purview and discretion of a coach. The university also carefully complies with its obligations as per NCAA Bylaw 15.3.7.1, providing notification to student-athletes about a reduction or non-renewal of their annual scholarship by the required July 1 deadline.  Student-athletes whose scholarships are cancelled, reduced or not renewed may appeal the decision in accordance with NCCU’s scholarship appeal process for all scholarship recipients at the university.

I'm a bit confused. If some of the athletes are graduating in May and the Summer of 2018, what would be the point of not renewing their scholarships? I assumed that the scholarship already covers the current school year. Am I missing something?

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2018, 08:02:10 PM »

MARCH 29, 2018

MARCH 15, 2018

I'm a bit confused. If some of the athletes are graduating in May and the Summer of 2018, what would be the point of not renewing their scholarships? I assumed that the scholarship already covers the current school year. Am I missing something?

Sounds like seniors academically but have eligibility to play another year. They could come back as graduate students for a year and play.

Offline vsutrojan95

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2018, 10:49:40 PM »

MARCH 29, 2018

MARCH 15, 2018

Sounds like seniors academically but have eligibility to play another year. They could come back as graduate students for a year and play.
Gotcha. Thanks

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News