News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: NCCU Women's Coach Stafford-Odoms Cuts Ten Scholarship Players  (Read 5702 times)

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 01, 2018, 03:16:39 PM by WileECoyote06 »

Offline VSU Trojan 99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: NCCU Women's Coach Stafford-Odoms Cuts Ten Scholarship Players
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 08:42:07 PM »
NCCU should honor the scholarships of the affected players until they graduate or transfer to another school.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 09:07:22 PM »
I am ashamed of my school right now.  Yes they have all rights to do this, but this is morally wrong to me.  :no: :no:
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Online JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 09:17:21 PM »
This is bad business, but happens from time to time.

I think Coach Bibbs let four or five players go one season at A&T.

Offline Black1881

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 09:18:40 PM »
That is cold... How are they going to attract quality players with this type of behavior... :( :( :(

Online JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 09:21:08 PM »
That is cold... How are they going to attract quality players with this type of behavior... :( :( :(

They must think they can get better players than they have now.

Offline aggie law

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 10:00:06 PM »
This too will blow over...Hopefully, the next wave of athletes will win more games. :popcorn:

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 10:21:29 PM »
This press makes y'all look like barnyard fowl.   :shrug:
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Bro. Askia Musa Afiba

• Assistant GM
  • "Sound Machine" Band Booster & NCCU Eagle Club
    • View Profile
    • NCCU Eagles Fan Forum
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2018, 10:24:52 PM »
In order to compete and meet expectations of having a first class winning Division I Women’s Basketball Program, the NCCU program must have top quality student-athletes who are able to adequately compete at that level.

NCCU Lady Eagles Basketball Has Not achieved a winning season since moving up into the Division I ranks of NCAA Women's Basketball in 2010.

In order to achieve the goals of winning and competing at high levels that win Championships, NCCU has to upgrade its student athlete's talent level. NCCU Women's Basketball must become much quicker, stronger and taller. Above average three points shooting is a must. Strong offensive and defensive Rebounding is a must. Excellent Point Guard play with depth is a must. With 4 to 10 players being cut from the current team, tells me that the current NCCU Coaching Staff must have the needed excellent student-athlete recruits and transfers coming in, who are much better, quicker, taller and stronger Division I Basketball players who have the needed skills to get the job done, ASAP!

The NCCU Lady Eagles Basketball Program MUST be completely rebuilt from the ground floor up. There is NEVER any easy way to do it. With all things considered, NOW is the best time to do it and not prolong what needs to be done to reset the NCCU Lady Eagles on very sound and solid footing to win future championships at the Division I level.

Yes, our hearts are very saddened regarding those young ladies who must be cut. However, NCCU Athletics has made the commitment to become one of the best programs in the USA. The first steps in doing those large and very unpleasant tasks are making some very hard decisions that are best for success of NCCU Lady Eagles Basketball in the long run. (Just My Very Personal Opinion)

Some Early Signees For Next Year
 http://nccueaglepride.com/news/2017/11/20/nccu-womens-basketball-announces-four-early-signees-for-2018-19.aspx?path=wbball

Take Care!
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 01:59:09 AM by Bro. Askia Musa Afiba »

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2018, 10:33:49 PM »
Now the press is eating this up.  I thought our stories didn't get that many clicks to be covered. :no:  Now I see why we can't get better athletes. I understand getting rid of 3 or 4, but 10. :shrug:  This makes us look insensitive and care only about winning.  If those girls from the past and now receive degrees from NCC, they are winners. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Online JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2018, 11:05:30 PM »
All will be forgotten in a few weeks.

If NCCU wins a game or two in the tournament, this decision will be praised.

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2018, 11:21:45 PM »
Now the press is eating this up.  I thought our stories didn't get that many clicks to be covered. :no:  Now I see why we can't get better athletes. I understand getting rid of 3 or 4, but 10. :shrug:  This makes us look insensitive and care only about winning.  If those girls from the past and now receive degrees from NCC, they are winners.

Hold on hold on... so it's "ok" to have a losing program as long as it's not football or men's basketball....? And as long as they get a degree it's ok.... lmao

The loudest critics of this are the ones that don't go to the games anyways... nor support any of the women's progams...

Offline JBTheEagle

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2018, 11:28:04 PM »
Scholarships are year to year, but man it's a tough look from a PR standpoint.

Offline InTheHunt

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2018, 12:03:57 AM »

And men's basketball has atleast 4 transfering from a MEAC Championship teams... hmmm will Coach Moton be on the news next? Or is 4 acceptable and 10 unacceptable? Will their parents and the women's team parents partner for a national protect or march?

Offline DJTheRealist

• Assistant GM
  • Mr. Fierce
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nccu.edu
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2018, 01:35:24 AM »
This press makes y'all look like barnyard fowl.   :shrug:

Unfortunately, this isn't new!
Co-Founder of the NCCU Screaming Eagles...Don't Mess With The Flock!!!

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News