News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Chowan leaving CIAA and Norfolk State moving back?  (Read 5021 times)

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Chowan leaving CIAA and Norfolk State moving back?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2018, 07:05:47 PM »
Tell me, why everyone keep bringing up NSU? Did they make an announcement about thinking about dropping back? I havent heard anything.

Offline VSU Trojan 99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2018, 08:23:19 PM »
Tell me, why everyone keep bringing up NSU? Did they make an announcement about thinking about dropping back? I havent heard anything.

They should drop back to be competitive.  How many winning seasons of football have they had since leaving the CIAA?  Also, they should come back when a D3 school and a D2 school defeats you in basketball.

Offline LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2018, 09:00:37 PM »
I am on the fence about Chowan remaining a member of the conference only as an associate member for Football and Women’s Bowling.  A part of me says that if you want to leave, take all of the sports out of the conference.  However, on the flip side, having them remain as an associate member will still generate some revenue as far as conference fees.  The Commissioner and the Board of Directors need to sit down and put together a strategic plan for our conference and determine how to strengthen the conference as well as bringing in new member institutions.  I would welcome back Norfolk State University with open arms…I think they left trying to keep up with Hampton back in the late nineties.  The conference should try to get UNC-Pembroke to join the conference since they are now the only Division 2 school without a conference affiliation.  A few MEAC schools could possibly drop back to Division 2 and we could have a sixteen member conference.

Northern Division
Lincoln University of Pennsylvania
Bowie State University
Virginia Union University
Virginia State University
Elizabeth City State University
Coppin State University (if they resumed playing football)
University of Maryland-Eastern Shore (if they resumed playing football)
Norfolk State University

Southern Division
Shaw University
Saint Augustine’s University
Fayetteville State University
Winston-Salem State University
Livingstone College
Johnson C. Smith University
UNC-Pembroke
South Carolina State University

This would be a very strong CIAA.  Since all of these schools play football, each school would have to play seven divisional games, two cross-divisional games and one non-conference game to complete the NCAA mandated ten game schedule to be eligible for the Division 2 playoffs.  The divisional champions would go on to the CIAA Championship game.  For basketball, the tournament would have to start on Monday. 

While we are on the subject, it has been rumored that Lincoln is thinking about leaving too.  Is that true?

There is no truth Lincoln is leaving the CIAA.  Lincoln has joined the ECC as an associate for Women's Soccer, and Baseball.

http://www.lulions.com/news/2018/1/25/general-east-coast-conference-adds-lincoln-as-associate-member-for-baseball-and-womens-soccer.aspx?path=wsoc
« Last Edit: February 12, 2018, 09:06:56 PM by LULions »
Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2018, 01:14:44 AM »

They should drop back to be competitive.  How many winning seasons of football have they had since leaving the CIAA?  Also, they should come back when a D3 school and a D2 school defeats you in basketball.

Oooh kaaay! Didnt know bout them  losses. Damn NSU! Still does not mean they leaving. Maybe they should think about it?

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2018, 08:19:05 AM »

In basketball the MEAC is basically a DII conference. How many CIAA and SIAC schools would be competitive in the MEAC? CAU, The House, VSU, Smith, Shaw and a few others would be in the mix.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2018, 09:02:40 AM »

Oooh kaaay! Didnt know bout them  losses. Damn NSU! Still does not mean they leaving. Maybe they should think about it?

I found out that we've had injuries to key players, which contributed to our losses to those D2 and D3 teams. Our record in the MEAC right now is 7-4. I would say that we are competitive now! So,,,,if we SHOULD just so decide to drop back down to D2 and the CIAA, yall will be the first to know!  :nod: :hugs:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2018, 09:25:52 AM »

In basketball the MEAC is basically a DII conference. How many CIAA and SIAC schools would be competitive in the MEAC? CAU, The House, VSU, Smith, Shaw and a few others would be in the mix.

I know one that wouldn't

Offline VSU Trojan 99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2018, 09:27:40 AM »

I found out that we've had injuries to key players, which contributed to our losses to those D2 and D3 teams. Our record in the MEAC right now is 7-4. I would say that we are competitive now! So,,,,if we SHOULD just so decide to drop back down to D2 and the CIAA, yall will be the first to know!  :nod: :hugs:

How many winning seasons has Norfolk State had since joining the MEAC in football and basketball?  Come on back home, be competitive and renew the rivalries...you won't beat us though. ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 09:30:08 AM by VSU Trojan 99 »

Offline AggieManiac704

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2018, 10:55:49 AM »
The recruiting landscape of D2 is much different.....who knows how it would translate tbh.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2018, 11:24:47 AM »

How many winning seasons has Norfolk State had since joining the MEAC in football and basketball?  Come on back home, be competitive and renew the rivalries...you won't beat us though. ;D

No. How about Va State just move on UP to the MEAC. Yall got the facilities, and you all know how to win in the CIAA. So bring it to the MEAC, and let's see how yall would do! Oh, and we will whup that a--, just like we used to before we started playing yall again last year!  :nod:

Offline VSU Trojan 99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2018, 01:37:02 PM »

No. How about Va State just move on UP to the MEAC. Yall got the facilities, and you all know how to win in the CIAA. So bring it to the MEAC, and let's see how yall would do! Oh, and we will whup that a--, just like we used to before we started playing yall again last year!  :nod:

We are just fine at Division 2 where we are winning.  Also, we don't need the D1 title to make us the best HBCU in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Please answer my question... How many winning seasons have you guys had in football and basketball since joining the MEAC twenty years ago?  This should tell you whether the choice was right for you to move up to D1.

Also, I think you moved up to D1 after Hampton did in 1995 just to keep up with the Joneses.   

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »

We are just fine at Division 2 where we are winning.  Also, we don't need the D1 title to make us the best HBCU in the Commonwealth of Virginia.  Please answer my question... How many winning seasons have you guys had in football and basketball since joining the MEAC twenty years ago?  This should tell you whether the choice was right for you to move up to D1.

Also, I think you moved up to D1 after Hampton did in 1995 just to keep up with the Joneses.   

I don't know. I haven't kept count. I do know this: We couldn't have won the MEAC, play and beat #2 seeded Missouri in the first round of the NCAA Tournament if we were still D2. Hampton couldn't beat Iowa State in the Big Dance if Hampton was still D2. Coppin State couldn't beat South Carolina in the Big Dance if Coppin was still D2. My point is, we are here, exactly where we want to be. And our move up to FCS/D1 was a long range plan implemented by former President Wilson, so if Hampton jumped up before us, fine,,,,,,so what? We are here, and we're good!

Offline VSU Trojan 99

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2018, 01:59:01 PM »

I don't know. I haven't kept count. I do know this: We couldn't have won the MEAC, play and beat #2 seeded Missouri in the first round of the NCAA Tournament if we were still D2. Hampton couldn't beat Iowa State in the Big Dance if Hampton was still D2. Coppin State couldn't beat South Carolina in the Big Dance if Coppin was still D2. My point is, we are here, exactly where we want to be. And our move up to FCS/D1 was a long range plan implemented by former President Wilson, so if Hampton jumped up before us, fine,,,,,,so what? We are here, and we're good!

Those wins were once in a blue moon opportunities.  When you decide to come back home, we will welcome you back with open arms and leave the light on for you.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2018, 04:08:48 PM »

I know one that wouldn't

You are right about that. Some local high school teams could beat us. I'm also sure several DIII schools would beat us as well. The truth doesn't bother me. So why can't you admit that the MEAC is basically a DII conference in basketball?

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2018, 06:26:30 PM »
UMES and Coppin could drop down and not miss a beat with no football......tbh
if you are correct and Chowan will still be a football affiliate
we only need one BB school
so UMES or Coppin (who has the best overall sports program?)

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News