News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Birmingham mayor asks council to pay $90 million on downtown stadium  (Read 1516 times)

Offline klg14

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
July 4, 1881 - A Great Day in History...

"Everyone can be great, because everyone can serve."  - Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Google can bring you back 100,000 answers, a librarian can bring you back the right one.” - Neil Gaiman

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham mayor asks council to pay $90 million on downtown stadium
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 10:12:03 PM »
So last year they had 63k at the MCC in bad weather.  At a cost of $35 a ticket they would have lost 285k.  We normally have between 65K and 70K.  So how will they make up the difference, you guessed it raise ticket prices and fewer people will attend.  :no: :shrug:
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 08:03:19 AM »
How are the schools in Birmingham? How's the infastructure in Birmingham? The roads? Stuff like that?  :shrug:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2018, 08:38:51 AM »
How are the schools in Birmingham? How's the infastructure in Birmingham? The roads? Stuff like that?  :shrug:

Most of the city high schools are newly built/renovated
The roads suck!  Mogadishu prolly got better roads. Tons of pot holes and most are undeliverable unless you are in a tank or off road rated vehicle. 

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2018, 08:53:21 AM »

Most of the city high schools are newly built/renovated
The roads suck!  Mogadishu prolly got better roads. Tons of pot holes and most are undeliverable unless you are in a tank or off road rated vehicle.

See? They should be asking the city to take care of stuff like that. What's wrong with the stadium in Birmingham now? It looked OK the last time I saw it. UAB had covers over some of the seats, and I thought it looked ok. I guess it's old, huh?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Online ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2018, 09:16:56 AM »
Yeah....BJCC was built in the late 70’s/early 80’s   

They built an on campus arena @ UAB a few years ago.

Offline DAHILL

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Birmingham mayor asks council to pay $90 million on downtown st
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2018, 02:13:53 PM »

With the exception of 2.... all the high schools are brand new.... the other 2 have been renovated..... Legion Field is almost 100 years old.   ITS OLD and its in the hood.  A new stadium would be a great look fo the city.     

Offline DAHILL

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 02:16:34 PM »
So last year they had 63k at the MCC in bad weather.  At a cost of $35 a ticket they would have lost 285k.  We normally have between 65K and 70K.  So how will they make up the difference, you guessed it raise ticket prices and fewer people will attend.  :no: :shrug:

For one... MOST of the tickets for MCC are 20 dollars.... They are only 30 from 40 to the 40.   Also you didnt take into account how many free tickets are given away.  I haven’t paid for a ticket in years.  55k will cause them to up the price and will also cause a sellout every year.

mrwiregrass

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »
Man, Birmingham does not need a stadium. I thought, he would be different than his predecessors. But, he is cut from the same cloth.

:tiptoe:

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 02:27:59 AM »

For one... MOST of the tickets for MCC are 20 dollars.... They are only 30 from 40 to the 40.   Also you didnt take into account how many free tickets are given away.  I haven’t paid for a ticket in years.  55k will cause them to up the price and will also cause a sellout every year.
If I'm not mistaken the only tickets that are not 35 are the in zone seats.  Not sure what your sellout logic is since your not sold out attendance was 63k and last time I checked that's more than 55k.  So even using your number of 20 dollars x 8k means they would have lost 160K on just tickets.
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline DAHILL

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 01:38:33 PM »
The entire stadium is general admission except between the 40s.... Im sure if the stadium is built that would be the end of the $20 ticket... they would probably go up to 35 general admission... 40 plus for reserve..you aren't losing any money for number of fans when the ticket prices are going to go up.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 04:00:36 PM »
Questions:

Would a new stadium eventually pay for itself?  What is the economic impact from the MCC?  Is there a bowl game in BHM? 

Would it attract more classics and neutral site games?

From the outside Iooking in it doesn’t seem like a bad investment, however if any benefits from the building of the stadium don’t go into improving infrastructure around the city then perhaps the focus needs to be there.
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2018, 04:33:05 PM »
Questions:

Would a new stadium eventually pay for itself?  What is the economic impact from the MCC?  Is there a bowl game in BHM? 

Would it attract more classics and neutral site games?

From the outside Iooking in it doesn’t seem like a bad investment, however if any benefits from the building of the stadium don’t go into improving infrastructure around the city then perhaps the focus needs to be there.

My input:

Would a new stadium eventually pay for itself? No.

What is the economic impact from the MCC?  - Not sure what you are really asking.

Is there a bowl game in BHM?   - Yes

Would it attract more classics and neutral site games?  - It will be UABs home field - if they grow their program, its will be a positive impact.  I am sure they will try.

Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »
Economic impact as in m, how much revenue is generated for the city of Birmingham during MCC weekend?

But thank you for answering my questions :nod:
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Branj2

• Assistant GM
  • 2007 SWAC Champions
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2018, 09:24:47 AM »
Man, Birmingham does not need a stadium. I thought, he would be different than his predecessors. But, he is cut from the same cloth.

:tiptoe:

Yes Birmingham does. Legion Field is literally falling apart
Jackson State Tigers 2007 SWAC Champions

Notre Dame Fighting Irish 2005 BCS(Fiesta Bowl)

Hoover Bucs 2000,2002 6A State Champions

2009 AFL2 American Conference Champions WB Scranton Pioneers

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSFK4XxMsWuEri-ZlbFGeTfh89KSmW-vBUs-O7yQWeDi5Osplj8eg

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule