News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Maynor out at Hampton  (Read 3281 times)

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
Maynor out at Hampton
« on: November 20, 2017, 01:32:13 PM »
Welp, looks like the love affair with Harvey and Maynor is over. Should be announced later today

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Maynor out at Hampton
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 02:08:49 PM »
Daaaaaaaamn!  Thought he was in for at least another year.  I guess the move, from Harvey's view point, garnered a new coach as well.  Think he going to hire a white coach?  Think he wants Scott from NSU? How about Jason Mai who is on staff?  UH OH.....may be some good talent for WSSU OC!

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 02:31:34 PM »
Daaaaaaaamn!  Thought he was in for at least another year.  I guess the move, from Harvey's view point, garnered a new coach as well.  Think he going to hire a white coach?  Think he wants Scott from NSU? How about Jason Mai who is on staff?  UH OH.....may be some good talent for WSSU OC!

Hope you're not talking about Maynor as our OC. I don't want to see him again at WSSU. I would rather be 6-4 than to have him back. Every year he was looking to leave us while he was here. He should have stayed when we gave him a chance. He got the big head.

Offline Blackwell

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 02:36:30 PM »
Well, that didn't take long... I wonder if they already have his replacement lined up...

Offline TIGER1

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tnstate.edu
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 02:40:24 PM »
Rod Reed???

Offline Blackwell

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 02:46:52 PM »
Doubt that anyone will try to "steal" Reed away...

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 02:47:51 PM »

Hope you're not talking about Maynor as our OC. I don't want to see him again at WSSU. I would rather be 6-4 than to have him back. Every year he was looking to leave us while he was here. He should have stayed when we gave him a chance. He got the big head.

Arguably the best coach you ever had

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 02:50:24 PM »

i'll believe when there's an official announcement.  but it wouldn't surprise me if he's out, even though he beat howard this past weekend...

Offline OgRamBall3r

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 03:19:29 PM »
I don't mind a Coach trying to get another, better, higher paying job.  That is what we all do in our fields of endeavor.  Second, while I understand the reservation, he did take up places we did not even think were possible at the time.  Offensively, we never performed better than under his leadership.  So yes, I would take him back in a minute but I was not referring to him because he is not looking to move backwards and going to WSSU would be a backwards move.  Also, some people say he does not work well with the AD and that would be problematic.  He will seek another HC job and should get it because look at all the other "re-treads" out there that keep getting hired.  If he is smart he will take an OC job at another FCS program and wait his turn to be an HC again.  He is not too old and will have opportunity.  He might be the right guy for FAMU.  Brash, and confident might just be what they need. Jason Mai, Kam Smith and others could move to WSSU, those are realistic possiblities.

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 03:30:09 PM »
Too many HBCU HC jobs for him to become a OC again

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 03:47:52 PM »

Now that would be the talk on the town

https://hbcugameday.com/2017/1...connell-maynor-out-at-hampton/
Sources: Connell Maynor out at Hampton
 by Steven J. Gaither November 20, 2017
 It looks like Hampton will be changing more than conferences.
Connell Maynor will not return to Hampton as its head football coach, sources tell HBCU Gameday. Hampton went 6-5 this season, losing three MEAC games in a row after a 4-0 start before losing three of its last four. HBCU Gameday has reached out to Hampton officials and is awaiting a response.
BCFNC:1948,49,50,54,60,75,93,95,97,98,03
SWAC Champs: 1937,38,40,46,47,48,49,50,55,59,60,66,75,93,97,98,99,03,13
Bowl Appearances:11 record 8-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 03:53:04 PM »
I don't mind a Coach trying to get another, better, higher paying job.  That is what we all do in our fields of endeavor.  Second, while I understand the reservation, he did take up places we did not even think were possible at the time.  Offensively, we never performed better than under his leadership.  So yes, I would take him back in a minute but I was not referring to him because he is not looking to move backwards and going to WSSU would be a backwards move.  Also, some people say he does not work well with the AD and that would be problematic.  He will seek another HC job and should get it because look at all the other "re-treads" out there that keep getting hired.  If he is smart he will take an OC job at another FCS program and wait his turn to be an HC again.  He is not too old and will have opportunity.  He might be the right guy for FAMU.  Brash, and confident might just be what they need. Jason Mai, Kam Smith and others could move to WSSU, those are realistic possiblities.

I agree with you. If he's available as a OC; WSSU should take him back. He's a darn good play caller; an aggressive play caller that wasn't afraid to take risks. The OCs that went through this season were way too pa** ive at times, especially in the second half. But at the same time, if Boulware is still here next season, you wouldn't necessarily want the issue of looking over his shoulder at Maynor.
"LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT THE WAY"
http://www.gram.edu/
http://www.gsutigers.com/

Offline Platinum_Sound

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 04:07:47 PM »

I agree with you. If he's available as a OC; WSSU should take him back. He's a darn good play caller; an aggressive play caller that wasn't afraid to take risks. The OCs that went through this season were way too pa** ive at times, especially in the second half. But at the same time, if Boulware is still here next season, you wouldn't necessarily want the issue of looking over his shoulder at Maynor.

Maynor is not going back to WSSU as an OC. C'mon people.
Shaw University - 61 CIAA Championships

2012 NCAA Women's Division II Basketball NATIONAL CHAMPIONS.

Shaw University Platinum Sound Marching Band 2008 Honda Battle of the Bands Participant.

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 05:19:53 PM »
Rod Reed???
:lol:.........what, you aren’t “thrilled” with another 6-5 season?  :shrug:

You crazy, bruh.  :lol:

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 05:24:28 PM »
I am surprised it took this long. He should have stayed at Winston a little longer. But that's just me. He could have built a dynasty there.

that's all...   :tiptoe:

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square