News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Hampton president says leaving MEAC ‘is a risk, but it’s not a gamble’  (Read 657 times)

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Hampton president says leaving MEAC ‘is a risk, but it’s not a gamble’

Harvey said that each of his coaches favored the move to the Big South. “I was the holdout,” he said. “But we thought, and the coaches thought, that this would be a good thing for their programs.”

The coaches are gambling, or hoping, that Hampton’s affiliation with a predominantly white conference will help with the recruitment of talented athletes that HBCUs have been losing to predominantly white schools. The MEAC is ranked 32nd in conference power rankings. The Big South is 21st.

Because HBCUs have been seeded so low during the annual NCAA Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, there has been talk among some that HBCUs should have their own postseason tournaments. In football, the champion of the Southwestern Athletic Conference and the MEAC meet in the Celebration Bowl.

“That’s not my orientation,” Harvey said. “The fact of life is that there are some people who feel that white is right and if you’re black, get back. For me, I want to compete against the best, not just the best black schools. I want to compete against the best.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/hampton-hbcu-leaving-meac-for-big-south-conference/

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Wow,,,,,,,,,,,if he felt that way, then why did he vote for the Celebration Bowl instead of against it? I'm almost positive I read somewhere that he voted for the CB?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Wow,,,,,,,,,,,if he felt that way, then why did he vote for the Celebration Bowl instead of against it? I'm almost positive I read somewhere that he voted for the CB?

It could've been a vote for the greater good of the conference, but not specifically for Hampton University Athletics.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
The truth always wins.  Our folks just seem to never learn.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu

Harvey said that each of his coaches favored the move to the Big South. “I was the holdout,” he said. “But we thought, and the coaches thought, that this would be a good thing for their programs.”

The coaches are gambling, or hoping, that Hampton’s affiliation with a predominantly white conference will help with the recruitment of talented athletes that HBCUs have been losing to predominantly white schools. The MEAC is ranked 32nd in conference power rankings. The Big South is 21st.

Because HBCUs have been seeded so low during the annual NCAA Division I men’s and women’s basketball tournaments, there has been talk among some that HBCUs should have their own postseason tournaments. In football, the champion of the Southwestern Athletic Conference and the MEAC meet in the Celebration Bowl.

“That’s not my orientation,” Harvey said. “The fact of life is that there are some people who feel that white is right and if you’re black, get back. For me, I want to compete against the best, not just the best black schools. I want to compete against the best.”

https://theundefeated.com/features/hampton-hbcu-leaving-meac-for-big-south-conference/

Whew! All I can say is best of luck to em :shrug:
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

Whew! All I can say is best of luck to em :shrug:

Like somebody said. The 30 year experiment called Tennessee state obviously didn't teach them anything.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:23:56 PM by bluedog »

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
I hear ya and I get it, but TSU didn’t really have a choice did they?  Wasn’t there some sort of legislation that prevented them from joining the SWAC or MEAC?  TSU’s reasoning and motive seem to be different. 

And they haven’t done so bad considering...now granted they aren’t playoff bound every year or winning the OVC every year, but they’re competitive at least.

Don’t know how that will fare with regard to Hampton- football specifically.   Think they will be ok with other sports....

Wasn’t expecting Dr. Harvey’s comments.  I wonder how he will adjust to his shift in power.    He had more clout in the MEAC I would assume.   Now he’s gonna have to deal with the “just stand in the corner boy and nod like you understand” mentality.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 04:52:16 PM by Valley Girl »
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I hear ya and I get it, but TSU didn’t really have a choice did they?  Wasn’t there some sort of legislation that prevented them from joining the SWAC or MEAC?  TSU’s reasoning and motive seem to be different. 

And they haven’t done so bad considering...now granted they aren’t playoff bound every year or winning the OVC every year, but they’re competitive at least.

Don’t know how that will fare with regard to Hampton- football specifically.   Think they will be ok with other sports....

Wasn’t expecting Dr. Harvey’s comments.  I wonder how he will adjust to his shift in power.    He had more clout in the MEAC I would assume.   Now he’s gonna have to deal with the “just stand in the corner boy and nod like you understand” mentality.

No there was no such legislation.  They were invited to join the SWAC back in the early 70's when D1-AA was originally form and a couple of times since. Each time they only wanted to join as an associate member with their basketball team and other non-revenue sports.

What you are referring to is something about them identifying themselves as an hbcu, which they eventually gave pushback to after the hbcu community dogged them out for allowing it.

We have as recently 5-6 years maybe less, extended another invitation to them. The only thing that I'm  aware of that's stopping them is their AD/President  (don't remember which) who is white that is declining the invite.

As far as them not doing so bad. That statement reminds of the song "I can do bad by myself"
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 06:20:58 PM by bluedog »

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Hmm...interesting. I wonder when Harvey steps down how the decision-making will change.

that's all...     :tiptoe:

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Hmm...interesting. I wonder when Harvey steps down how the decision-making will change.

that's all...     :tiptoe:

:lol:   This isn't something that you can just change your mind about over night, and I'm more then sure that the Big South isn't going to just give them a pass like we do, and just say okay bye and good luck with no penalty.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
True. But we shall see what the comments will be when that happens. You know we can't keep it to ourselves.

that's all... 

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
True. But we shall see what the comments will be when that happens. You know we can't keep it to ourselves.

that's all...

True

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
VG, look at the information on the lawsuit filed in 1968.  I think one should look at it when talking about Tennessee State.  For a while the school could not identify as an HBCU.  A few years after that ruling, they went to the OVC.

----------

https://alumnus.tennessee.edu/2007/to-do-the-right-thing/

3 years ago

The Volunteer Channel

By the time she came to Nashville, Rita Geier had already decided that marches and protests were not the tools she would use to effect change in the world. While earning her master's at the University of Chicago in the mid-1960s, she participated in marches led by Martin Luther King Jr. that were disrupted by violent counter-protests. "That was the first time I saw faces so distorted by anger, shouting, spitting—there were bricks thrown," she said. "It was an experience that showed me that I needed to find a better way, for me, to make a difference, and that was the law."

-----

www.tnstate.edu/facilities/documents/masterplan/1.1%20Description%20of%20History.pdf

-----

UT Desegregation Timeline

Rita Geier files lawsuit against the State of Tennessee to halt the construction of a UT Nashville campus and force the UT system to fully integrate.

State of Tennessee settles Rita Geier’s lawsuit by agreeing to allocate $77 million of state funds for diversity initiatives at Tennessee institutions of higher educations.

-----

www.tnstate.edu/about_tsu/

TWO CAMPUSES

Our Nashville home offers two locations—the 500-acre main campus nestles in a beautiful residential neighborhood along the Cumberland River, and the downtown Avon Williams campus sits near the center of Nashville’s business and government district.

MERGER WITH UT OF NASHVILLE

When Frederick Humphries became TSU’s president in 1975, Nashville was also home to a second public four-year university. The Knoxville-based University of Tennessee began offering extension credit in Nashville in 1947 and expanded its programs throughout the 1960s. By 1971, it was accredited as a degree-granting institution that occupied new quarters at the corner of Tenth and Charlotte Avenues. But in 1968, TSU faculty member Rita Sanders filed a lawsuit, which became known as Geier v. Tennessee, alleging a dual system of higher education in Tennessee based on race. On July 1, 1979, the case was settled by a court order merging the former University of Tennessee at Nashville with TSU. As president, Humphries was the first to face the challenge of maintaining the balance between TSU’s role as one of America’s preeminent historically black universities and its emerging status as a comprehensive national university.

The Geier v. Tennessee case, however, remained alive for 32 years. Rita Sanders Geier was joined by the U.S. Department of Justice and by TSU professors Ray Richardson and H. Coleman McGinnis as co-plaintiffs in the suit. After numerous court-ordered plans failed to produce progress, all parties achieved a mediated consent decree that was ordered by the court on January 4, 2001.

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
VG, look at these too.  I do not remember any legislation but do remember the court order.  Go to the 29:00 mark of the video especially.  The suit was talked about in many HBCU circles.

----------

National News Briefs; Settlement Approved In Desegregation Case
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS  JAN. 5, 2001

The most widely criticized quota, which opponents called unrealistic, required Tennessee State to increase its white enrollment to 50 percent. About 16 percent of students at the university are white.

The settlement requires more scholarships and recruiting for white students to attend Tennessee State and black students to attend predominantly white colleges.

-----

Saturday, November 06, 2004 - Page updated at 12:00 A.M.
Close-up
White students at black colleges: a course of a different color

By Avis Thomas-Lester

The Washington Post

Tennessee State University, for instance, was at one point under court order to increase its non-black enrollment to 50 percent. The court eventually dropped that requirement, and the school has agreed to earmark $924,000 a year for scholarships to white students.

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
FYI  @Valley Girl. Since joining the OVC in 1988, Tennessee state has only had 10 winnings seasons over .500.

Now during that time they did manage to win two conference titles under LC Cole. Which until I can do some further research you may want to put an asterisk next to those two.

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News