News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: LiAngelo Ball, 2 other UCLA players arrested in China  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: LiAngelo Ball, 2 other UCLA players arrested in China
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2017, 02:18:24 PM »
 :(.........I don’t wish to cast aspersions on any poster, but, like others, I fail to see the humor in this situation. These boys are looking at some potentially VERY serious consequences.

Guys, let’s not forget that we, too, were once young and stupid. And although we might not have done something like these boys are alleged to have done in a foreign country, we STILL committed acts that would have brought shame to our families.

Don’t know who might be advising Lavar Ball, but the BEST thing dude could do for his son and the other two boys right now is show GREAT respect and deference to the Chinese people.

Leave that stupid CLOWN show in the states.  :(

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2017, 03:13:32 PM »
The fact that anybody can find this amusing is mind boggling . Chinese law is extremely harsh and needs very little evidence of actual guilt . But than again this just me.

Thats why you dont do stupid things when you travel to other countries.  You have to respect the country where you visit.  You can treat the US like crap, but other countries dont put up with  your foolishness.   Some company will have to pay BIG money to the Chinese to get them out of this mess.

Its time to change the brand to BIG JAILER!   :lmao:

Why you have sympathy for criminals is beyond me!

Not that at all. I simply try not to be simply minded individual with low self esteem taking pleasure because of somebody else mistake. Especially someone I know nothing about.

Having said that, you're making assumption that they are guilty under the pretense you're concern about criminal behavior, is the equivalent of white racist thug analogy base on nothing but speculation

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2017, 03:21:41 PM »
Oh it not funny. They are just STUPID if they try to steal. I think some members of Texas Southern's band tried to steal some stuff when they visited Japan some years ago, and it was a big stink. I believe the band director got fired and everything. Just STUPID!  :crazy:
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2017, 03:23:40 PM »
It is safe to assume the kids from UCLA and GA Tech were profiled.

Racism exists in China too.

:tiptoe:

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2017, 04:46:35 PM »
The fact that anybody can find this amusing is mind boggling . Chinese law is extremely harsh and needs very little evidence of actual guilt . But than again this just me.

Thats why you dont do stupid things when you travel to other countries.  You have to respect the country where you visit.  You can treat the US like crap, but other countries dont put up with  your foolishness.   Some company will have to pay BIG money to the Chinese to get them out of this mess.

Its time to change the brand to BIG JAILER!   :lmao:

Why you have sympathy for criminals is beyond me!

Not that at all. I simply try not to be simply minded individual with low self esteem taking pleasure because of somebody else mistake. Especially someone I know nothing about.

Having said that, you're making assumption that they are guilty under the pretense you're concern about criminal behavior, is the equivalent of white racist thug analogy base on nothing but speculation

We will see if they are guilty or not!   See if the brand is big baller or big jailer   :lmao:
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2017, 04:49:32 PM »
Maybe this was staged to give him "street cred" to help sell those expense shoes down market.
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2017, 05:01:40 PM »
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/liangelo-ball-ucla-teammates-face-3-10-years-prison-convicted-shoplifting-013958780.html

LiAngelo Ball and UCLA teammates could face 3-10 years in prison if convicted of shoplifting

If standard practices are applied, the three UCLA basketball players – including LiAngelo Ball – arrested Tuesday in mainland China under suspicion of shoplifting face between three and 10 years in prison if convicted, according to Chinese lawyers who briefed Yahoo Sports on the applicable laws. The sentencing guidelines could shift depending on the amount that the Chinese could prove was allegedly stolen.

Authorities believe the players shoplifted from a Louis Vuitton store near the UCLA team hotel outside of Shanghai. The Bruins are in China to play Georgia Tech on Saturday in the season opener. The players were arrested Tuesday after local law enforcement came to the team hotel and questioned both UCLA and Georgia Tech players before taking the three away. ESPN first reported the arrests.

What they face now bears little resemblance to the legal system of the United States. The three men could be detained for more than a month without American-style bail before local prosecutors even decide whether to press charges, according to William Nee, a Hong Kong-based researcher of the Chinese court system for Amnesty International.
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2017, 06:24:31 PM »

Exist? Shoot it rules, I doubt this is the case though.

Offline Neymar

• Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 10:34:48 PM »

Seeing as they stole(allegedly) as soon as they got to the store wouldnt profiling them be a good move? :shrug:

We make it easy for them.

Offline Olde Hornet

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2017, 06:56:15 AM »
He can add this to his marketing of his big jailer brand - good news for them.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/spor...a-players-arrest-china-law-experts/846856001/

Jerome Cohen, the faculty director of New York University’s U.S.-Asia Law Institute, said that if Ball and his teammates have been allowed to return to their hotel, it is “a very good sign.”

“This shows they’re getting special treatment,” Cohen said. “Normally, the Chinese do not give bail, certainly not this early in a case that they’re going to prosecute. … It usually is only given at the convenience of the police.”

Though many of the details of this week’s incident remain unknown, Cohen said the possibility that the UCLA players could be imprisoned for 3-10 years, as reported by Yahoo! Sports on Tuesday, is “extremely unlikely.” He believes the players will most likely be fined, which would both validate the Chinese legal system but also not interfere with U.S.-China relations.

Donald Clarke, a law professor at George Washington University, said he also believes the players will probably not face severe punishment
Olde Bama State Spirit!
Alabama State University

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2017, 04:22:43 PM »
Amazingly dumb, stupid thing to do. How tall are them dudes?  Like they won’t really stand out there - vertically and ethnically. What were they trying to boost?  I know them pants and shoes didn’t fit them at all. They better be glad they weren’t in Singapore.

but apparently the sun glasses fit fine

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Offline ncsiacfan

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2017, 06:06:43 PM »
Not only did the Texas Southern University Band Director get fired, the band was suspended for two years. The Japanese simply blocked their bus and said "this bus will not leave until all goods have been returned".

We may have all done some stupid things in our youth, but for most of us, stealing is not one of them.

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 10, 2017, 01:52:18 PM »
Big Jailer brand - for kids with jail aspirations  :snicker

The only good thing going for them is that 45 is there and the Chinese are all about saving face and dont want to embarrass 45 (little do they know these are people of color, he does not give a rats arse about them).

true
they are being held on house arrest in their hotel rooms at least through December

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Offline Daddy Bulldog

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 10, 2017, 03:33:41 PM »

Word is, they did it.  But in this case, being American basketball players is a huge advantage given that the Chinese worship everything NBA.  Plus, there's money to pay restitution and get them out of this with only a limited sentence of house arrest at a luxury hotel.  If this involved any other sort of college kid, they might have ended up like the kid that snatched a poster in a North Korean hotel. 

But go ahead and cry racism.  And delegitimize centuries of hard fought struggles.  You make it easy for them...

Offline NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2017, 10:08:14 AM »
The word is they have them on camera stealing.....and it was from more than one store.  I don't want to hear any more talk about racism or racial profiling in this case.  Personally, I'd kick them off the team.  It's one thing to steal in your backyard.  However, when you go overseas, you are an ambassador to your university.  These dudes embarrassed UCLA.  If some Aggies went over to Japan and got caught stealing, I'd feel the same way.  All the headlines have mentioned 2 things:

1)They're UCLA players
2) One of the players is a Ball

Embarrassing your school.  Embarrassing your family name. 
These dudes really did themselves and those they represented a huge disservice👎🏾
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 10:09:57 AM by NEIGHBORHOODSUPERSTAR »

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News