News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: DII Regional Rankings - Oct. 23  (Read 1731 times)

Offline RamBuck08

• Veteran
    • View Profile
DII Regional Rankings - Oct. 23
« on: October 23, 2017, 04:49:37 PM »
  Rank  School      In-Region   Division II   
   1.   Wingate            7-0         7-0 
   2.   West Alabama   6-1         6-1 
   3.   Virginia State   6-0         6-0 
   4.   Bowie State     7-1         7-1

5.   Delta State       6-2         6-2 
   6.   West Georgia    6-2         6-2 
   7.   Catawba           5-2         5-2 
   8.   Albany State    5-3         5-3 
   9.   Miles               5-2         5-2 
   10.  Virginia Union 5-2         5-3

Offline Ram-Fan

• Assistant GM
  • Message Board Gangsters For Life
    • View Profile
Re: DII Regional Rankings - Oct. 23
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 05:14:48 PM »
I guess that SAU loss really hurt WSSU.  Because WSSU is 5-3 and beat 5-3 VUU.
NCCU SOL Alum

If your school ever had the nation's longest losing streak, you can't be considered a football power.

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 05:44:20 PM »
Congratulations to the HBCUs that were selected in the initial regional ranking of the
2017 season.   :nod: :clap:
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline mrknowitall

• Veteran
    • View Profile
    • TLW Photography
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 08:29:43 PM »
I'm not sure why VSU is listed as 6-0 and others are updated. We are 7-0. I see us finishing at #2. I would love for Albany State to come to Petersburg
Graduate of Virginia State University and Norfolk State University

Offline RamBuck08

• Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 09:08:06 PM »
I'm not sure why VSU is listed as 6-0 and others are updated. We are 7-0. I see us finishing at #2. I would love for Albany State to come to Petersburg

They only count Division II games. That Record does not include Virginia State's win over Norfolk State (FCS)

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 09:50:44 PM »

They only count Division II games. That Record does not include Virginia State's win over Norfolk State (FCS)

which is something that D2 HBCUs are going to have to learn if they are interested in the playoffs. I know those games are nostalgic for many alum, but they do not benefit us in times like this. TU would be ranked right now if it were not for the Alabama State and Jackson State game.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2017, 10:53:06 PM »

which is something that D2 HBCUs are going to have to learn if they are interested in the playoffs. I know those games are nostalgic for many alum, but they do not benefit us in times like this. TU would be ranked right now if it were not for the Alabama State and Jackson State game.

Not so sure but having two D-II losses and one by 66 pts won't help.  We don't deserve to be ranked at present.....not consistent enough.....

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 07:08:39 AM »

Not so sure but having two D-II losses and one by 66 pts won't help.  We don't deserve to be ranked at present.....not consistent enough.....

This is a factor.  Findlay is the #4 team in Super Region 1.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/d2
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 10:56:35 AM »

Super Region 1 is lining the PSAC up to get three bids out of the seven given. That's one reason I think they moved the CIAA out of that region. They could get four if Shippensburg keeps winning.

With the current ranking, none of the SIAC teams get in. Adding the CIAA to region 2 is eliminating at least one HBCU from the playoffs.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 11:02:08 AM by Ram55 »

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 11:13:56 AM »

Super Region 1 is lining the PSAC up to get three bids out of the seven given. That's one reason I think they moved the CIAA out of that region. They could get four if Shippensburg keeps winning.

With the current ranking, none of the SIAC teams get in. Adding the CIAA to region 2 is eliminating at least one HBCU from the playoffs.

Correction, Albany State would get in the playoffs today, if the playoffs would be held Saturday. Albany State would bump Catawba.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 12:41:26 PM »
So, how many teams from each region will get into the playoffs?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 01:13:07 PM »
7 teams per region

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 01:43:04 PM »

Correction, Albany State would get in the playoffs today, if the playoffs would be held Saturday. Albany State would bump Catawba.

They could if they still had "Earned Access", but know-one really knows if they are still doing that. It has been said that both WSSU and TU got in last year with earned access, but...

Remember that they added the seventh team to eliminate that rule of Earned Access.

Offline Grambling '93

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2017, 01:50:58 PM »

They could if they still had "Earned Access", but know-one really knows if they are still doing that. It has been said that both WSSU and TU got in last year with earned access, but...

Remember that they added the seventh team to eliminate that rule of Earned Access.

Yes they did, but the EA is still in play if the top team in the conference is the top 10 in the region and they would still bump the 7th ranked team.
"LEAD, FOLLOW OR GET THE HELL OUT THE WAY"
http://www.gram.edu/
http://www.gsutigers.com/

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Eye See You!
    • View Profile
Five HBCU Football Teams Regionally Ranked in Division II
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 10:21:39 AM »
 :clap:

Five HBCU football teams are ranked in the Top 10 in Super Region 2 of the NCAA. Regional Rankings were released on Monday, October 23. The top eight teams in each of the four Super Regions of the NCAA are invited to the Division II Playoffs.NCAAenhanced logo

Virginia State (#3), Bowie State (#4), Albany State (#8), Miles (#9) and Virginia Union (#10) earned half the spots in the rankings.

SUPER REGION TWO - Regional Rankings

1 Wingate 7-0 7-0
2 West Ala. 6-1 6-1
3 Virginia St. 6-0 6-0
4 Bowie St. 7-1 7-1
5 Delta St. 6-2 6-2
6 West Ga. 6-2 6-2
7 Catawba 5-2 5-2
8 Albany St. (GA) 5-3 5-3
9 Miles 5-2 5-2
10 Virginia Union 5-2 5-3

https://onnidan.com/prime-sports/football/17-fb-news/5644-five-hbcu-football-teams-regionally-ranked-in-division-ii

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule