News: We've added updated logos for Paine and Winston-Salem State to our avatar list should you desire to change your profile.

Author Topic: THe flag and the anthem has been disrespected long before now  (Read 238 times)

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
THe flag and the anthem has been disrespected long before now
« on: October 10, 2017, 04:01:42 PM »
During the anthem you are to stand and face the flag and be quiet or sing it. Before the song is even over they are cheering wildly. Why are you looking at the players and booing. Is that not disrespectful to the flag and anthem?

The flag is stretched flat across the field every Saturday and sunday. The flag is not to be displayed flat.

The flag has been on beer cans bikinis and hats. That is a no no. Is that not defamng the flag?

Offline Cats4ever

• Assistant GM
  • General Manager
    • View Profile
    • FVSU: Let's build a winner.
Re: THe flag and the anthem has been disrespected long before now
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 05:30:21 PM »
The flag should never be used for any advertising purpose. It should not be embroidered, printed or otherwise impressed on such articles as cushions, handkerchiefs, napkins, boxes, or anything intended to be discarded after temporary use. Advertising signs should not be attached to the staff or halyard

The flag should not be used as part of a costume or athletic uniform, except that a flag patch may be used on the uniform of military personnel, fireman, policeman, and members of patriotic organizations.
The flag should never have placed on it, or attached to it, any mark, insignia, letter, word, number, figure, or drawing of any kind.

The Salute
To salute, all persons come to attention. Those in uniform give the appropriate formal salute. Citizens not in uniform salute by placing their right hand over the heart and men with head cover should remove it and hold it to left shoulder, hand over the heart. Members of organizations in formation salute upon command of the person in charge.

The Pledge of Allegiance and National Anthem
The pledge of allegiance should be rendered by standing at attention, facing the flag, and saluting.
When the national anthem is played or sung, citizens should stand at attention and salute at the first note and hold the salute through the last note. The salute is directed to the flag, if displayed, otherwise to the music.

http://www.usflag.org/flagetiquette.html

The flag should never be carried flat or horizontally, but always aloft and free.

No part of the flag should ever be used as a costume or athletic uniform. However, a flag
patch may be affixed to the uniform of military personnel, firemen, policemen, and members
of patriotic organizations. The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living
thing. Therefore, the lapel flag pin being a replica, should be worn on the left lapel near the
heart.

Designation.—The composition consisting of the words and music known as the StarSpangled
Banner is the national anthem.
(b) Conduct During Playing.—During a rendition of the national anthem—
(1) when the flag is displayed—
(A) all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right
hand over the heart;
(B) men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold the
headdress at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart; and
(C) individuals in uniform should give the military salute at the first note of the anthem and
maintain that position until the last note.
(2) When the flag is not displayed, all present should face toward the music and act in the
same manner they would if the flag were displayed.
https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL30243.pdf
Your treatment of others give them control of your soul
Matthew 5:25-26

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; da Raider Nation; DCU4Life
    • View Profile
Re: The flag and the anthem has been disrespected long before now
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 10:41:29 AM »
we all know that this is NOT about the flag   ::) :nono2:

VUU, VSU, NSU, HIU, UVa, VT, Radford, VCU, Mason, Richmond

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: The flag and the anthem has been disrespected long before now
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 10:57:54 AM »
we all know that this is NOT about the flag   ::) :nono2:

What he said....
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline Daddy Bulldog

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 11:15:24 AM »
The issue is whether or not a protest, regardless of the merits, is in and of itself an insult to those you wish to bring to your cause, and whether your workplace is the proper venue for it to begin with.  Certainly fans are taking offense, and they don't have to be racists to do so.  As to the latter point in regard to venue, there's no Constitutional protection for such acts in the privately owned workplace. 

It is lose-lose, and will only divide this country even more.  However, folks have dug their feet in and it's now morphing into anti-Trump sentiment.  This is going to leave a scar and nothing positive will come from it.   

Offline Strike79

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 12:57:27 PM »
The issue is whether or not a protest, regardless of the merits, is in and of itself an insult to those you wish to bring to your cause, and whether your workplace is the proper venue for it to begin with.  Certainly fans are taking offense, and they don't have to be racists to do so.  As to the latter point in regard to venue, there's no Constitutional protection for such acts in the privately owned workplace. 

It is lose-lose, and will only divide this country even more .  However, folks have dug their feet in and it's now morphing into anti-Trump sentiment.  This is going to leave a scar and nothing positive will come from it.   
DB.........my dear brutha, thank you for your comments, and it is interesting to read your perspective in this matter.

But with all due respect, the "tenor" of your comments echoes back to a time in the not-so-distant past when black folks HAD to concern themselves with not upsetting white folks, whose ire could result in DEADLY consequences for negroes whom they deemed a threat.

But we are now in the 21st century, 400 years after the first Africans were deposited on these shores. The language in your post that I bold-printed^^^^is ESPECIALLY disconcerting. The current POTUS announced his candidacy for the office with language that was so OVERTLY
racist and bigoted that it almost shocked the senses. And he had ratcheted up the rhetoric ever since.

To suggest that these young bruthas on these NFL rosters who are trying to bring the nation's attention to the CONTINUING violence inflicted on people of color are "dividing this country even more" is a GROSS INSULT. And it's very offensive to me.

Yeah, I know, like the VAST majority of white folks who either attend the games or watch on television, y'all want these bruthas to "entertain" you, pretend that a BIGOT does not occupy the WH, then remove the pads and be treated like every other nucca in America.

Well, MILLIONS of black and other non-white Milleniums are saying F-that! And they envision a different future than the baby boomers experienced going forward...........and they DESERVE a better future.

Mr. Lincoln signed the papers in 1863.....we'ze free now:shrug:

Offline Daddy Bulldog

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 01:14:26 PM »
To suggest that these young bruthas on these NFL rosters who are trying to bring the nation's attention to the CONTINUING violence inflicted on people of color are "dividing this country even more" is a GROSS INSULT. And it's very offensive to me.

Then put your emotions in check and know when and where to pick your battles.  Taking offense is a choice and if you can't ever see a middle ground, you will forever be at war.

Online oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 01:17:15 PM »
my question is this.  i'd like to know how many of those mofo's who complain about bruthas taking a knee during the national athem, sit on their own azzzzes while at home watching the national anthem being played/sung on tv?  i betcha almost none of them get up off their azzzzes from the couch at home and stand with their hand over their heart when the national athem is played during a game on tv.

so let me get this straight.  if taking a knee is disrespectful, then isn't sitting on your azzzzz at home during the national anthem disrespecting the flag too?  does the "must stand" rule only apply in football stadiums?  hail, if so, where is that rule written? 

where is the written rule that says you can sit on your azzzzz at home while the national anthem is being played/sung, but you must stand if you're in a football stadium?

:shrug: somebody please explain that to me?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 01:21:48 PM by oleschoolaggie »

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 01:28:43 PM »
my question is this.  i'd like to know how many of those mofo's who complain about bruthas taking a knee during the national athem, sit on their own azzzzes while at home watching the national anthem being played/sung on tv?  i betcha almost none of them get up off their azzzzes from the couch at home and stand with their hand over their heart when the national athem is played during a game on tv.

so let me get this straight.  if taking a knee is disrespectful, then isn't sitting on your azzzzz at home during the national anthem disrespecting the flag too?  does the "must stand" rule only apply in football stadiums?  hail, if so, where is that rule written? 

where is the written rule that says you can sit on your azzzzz at home while the national anthem is being played/sung, but you must stand if you're in a football stadium?

That was the best post in the last ten years of this forum.  :lol:

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 03:19:41 PM »

:nod: EXACTLY.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 03:24:56 PM »

This flag on this hat is disrespectful according to the rules, correct? But yet, #45 sports it all the time!

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 03:37:52 PM »

:nod: EXACTLY.

Punchy, when it comes to civil rights stuff, them dogs from Greensboro ain't no joke. Only an Aggie would think of some stuff like that.  :nod:

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Tiger Pride! Yeah Yeah!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2017, 04:58:40 PM »
We're talking about Pseudo-Patriotic Clowns. They don't know patriotism from the hole between their buttcheeks.  :lol:

==========

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News