News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Okay, Is Albany State That Good? Or...  (Read 1607 times)

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Okay, Is Albany State That Good? Or...
« on: September 14, 2017, 01:41:55 PM »
the teams they posted wins against has some serious deficiencies on either or both sides of the ball. I was looking at the stats from the Valdosta state game and Albany lead in the time of possessions, but Valdosta didn't score until the fourth quarter. But, Albany out rushed them. I haven't looked at the Tuskegee stats. I'm just curious.

that's all...     :shrug:

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Okay, Is Albany State That Good? Or...
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 01:45:38 PM »
the teams they posted wins against has some serious deficiencies on either or both sides of the ball. I was looking at the stats from the Valdosta state game and Albany lead in the time of possessions, but Valdosta didn't score until the fourth quarter. But, Albany out rushed them. I haven't looked at the Tuskegee stats. I'm just curious.

They beat two quality programs that in tern beat other good teams. So, my guess would be that they are that good.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 01:48:31 PM »

They beat two quality programs that in tern beat other good teams. So, my guess would be that they are that good.

Well, Valdosta didn't play anyone. They were scheduled to play us this past Saturday, but the game was canceled because of the hurricane Irma. And Mother Tuskegee played the Dirt Daubers, but that's not realistically a way to gauge them. They ALWAYS beat them. They own the Dirt Daubers.

that's all...   ???

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 02:32:59 PM »
The 2017 version of Billy Goat football is different.  I watched the game online.  The team played composed and managed the clock well.  See game stats in the link below.

http://www.asugoldenrams.com/boxscore.aspx?id=1903&path=football

This weekend's game will be a measuring stick for Albany ST when the team goes up against N. Greenville, a team who advanced to the 3rd round of the playoffs last season.  N. Greenville is 1-1 so far this season. 

:shrug:

Tick, tock.....
"The function of education is to teach one to think intensively and to think critically.  Intelligence plus character - that is the goal of true education."

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity."

~Martin Luther King,

Offline Mr ASU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 02:44:11 PM »
I think part of your question will be answered this weekend. Not necessarily in what ASU does but more how VSU performs vs North Alabama and TU performs vs CAU. Clearly some pollsters think VSU is not that bad considering they found themselves in the D2 Football ranking again. Additionally, we can't discount a down VSU or down TU team. History is on their sides. Both coaches know how to make a team win even with deficiencies.

I attended the game against TU and must admit I noticed a huge difference in the team. Even on the sidelines players are more attentive and paying attention. The execution of the offense is much improved in having options to move the ball. Remember, the QB was 15 for 15 passing going into the halftime. The offensive line holds well giving the QB time. They are much physical than I have witnessed in the past. The defense is overall smaller, but quicker. They were all over the ball. Defense had three interceptions against VSU and should have had one against TU but the defensive player dropped the ball. The defense is solid and tough.

As been previously said, VSU and TU both have quality programs with great respect in their respective conferences. ASU is generating a lot of excitement. The next two games will prove pivotal. However, as Coach Gabe said, ASU plans to stay focused, continue to improve, and move one game at a time. The Rams are playing efficient football. That's driving the time of possession. In short, the answer to your question will come with time.

I would like to hear what some TU fans thought about the game who were there. How would they grade ASU's performance. Of course I would like to hear it from an unbiased prospective.  :lol:

http://www.walb.com/story/36362021/the-2-0-rams-arent-going-to-beat-themselves
ALBANY STATE UNIVERSITY

ALBANY STATE UNIVERSITY- 2013 SIAC CHAMPIONS.....................ALBANY STATE UNIVERSITY- 2013 SIAC CHAMPIONS

Offline Ramese98

• Assistant GM
  • THE NEW ASU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 04:14:45 PM »
Yogi,

Me and fellow Golden Ram has been discussing the Golden Rams over the last two weeks and I will say YES they are that good. At first I was scared to say it, was worried about this game and worried about that game. Then I thought about the seasons where we went undefeated, seasons were we lost one or two games, the many times we went to the playoffs only to come up empty handed first round. I then look at this team and a smile comes across my face and I nod yep, they are good. I am very confident in saying that we as ASU Fans, we had become so accustomed to getting our hopes up only to be let down that we just became jaded in some ways. We lacked that "swag" and "confidence: we used to have.

Albany State have not just won the last two games, they have dominated the last two games, no disrespect to the teams we played. The stats back me up on this one. Albany State is playing a different type of football these days. I took time to look at the stats and saw such a balance on Offense and Defense that I had to do a double take. There was marked improvement from game 1 to game 2. The type of improvement you want to see. The QB was 20-21 in game two. Where as he was 9-16, in two games no interceptions. He is poised, calm and confident and does something I have not seen done at ASU since the Sultan Cooper days, he does not force errors. If it is not happening he lives for the next down. Then there is the team chemistry. ASU has a TEAM chemistry like none other. The offense and the defense are working TOGETHER, the TEAM huddles together. I cannot recall the last time I seen the TEAM huddle together,it was either defense or the offense on side line. The one thing that solidified this for me, was when they captured the team in the locker room after the ASU/VSU game doing the RAM BUCK in the locker room with the HC in the middle doing it with them. Celebrating with them. IT was then I knew we had a winner. If you listen to the game from last weekend you would have witnessed the game announcers attitudes change toward ASU as the game progressed. They too realized that this team had something special. During the game they pan over on to Willie Slater and you could see in his face, that he was thinking this is a different ASU team. This is not the same ol Golden Rams.  I think we have met our test, in VSU and TU. If we continue to play the way we are playing we can only beat ourselves, and we got some tough teams to play...meaning we got 8 tough teams to play because the game is won or lost on the field not on paper.
It is What It is.....It will BE what it WILL be....

mrwiregrass

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 04:51:37 PM »

They beat two nationally-ranked team, two weeks in a row. I saw Tuskegee's defense in person at the ASU game. You don't win on luck against Valdosta State and Tuskegee.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2017, 05:13:31 PM »
They beat two nationally-ranked team, two weeks in a row. I saw Tuskegee's defense in person at the ASU game. You don't win on luck against Valdosta State and Tuskegee.

There are a lot of teams that are ranked on paper until they perform on the field. You would think that ASU being a level higher would be Mother Tuskegee each year they play, but they don't.

Rameses, I haven't watched any games, but I did read the stats and Albany State did out rushed them, but the overall offensively Valdosta edged them by a little, not a lot. It was even. I just know Albany State in the past had a tendency on offense to self destruct at times. That's why I was wondering how this team is reacting with the new, first year head coach or were there deficiencies with Tuskegee and Valdosta. This may shape up to be an epic Battle of Blue and Gold in November. We just have to get past Miles this weekend.

that's all... 

Offline Miamiinskegee

• Prophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »
I’ve attended both of Tuskegee’s games thus far and Albany is that good. Chancellor runs the option play to perfection... Not to mention that RB #4 takes it to you . Tuskegee defensive front is solid but were out matched. Honestly, I watched the FT.Valley game against West Georgia on demand and y’all are maybe two-three years out from being a solid program. Gabe is doing a Will Hall job in Albany... The Rams have always been talented they just needed a new scheme... Skegee should be looking for an offensive coordinator maybe the AD/Head Coach/ Offinsive coordinator is a bit much for Slater.
I do  look forward to a rematch of Skegee and the Rams in Montgomery and hopefully both teams make the playoffs. If Skegee can find a way to run the ball. To my understanding they were banged up at some positions from some pre-season injuries.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 11:28:04 AM by asu06asu10 »
"Winning Is The Outcome Of Hard Work" Coach Taylor

Offline fsu2015mme

• Neophyte
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 10:31:11 PM »
Not to mention ASU beat a ranked team on the first game of the season when we were not even ranked last year in D II. I don't care what nobody say. When you crush not one but two losing streaks at the top of the season... They pretty good
"I only debate my equals, all others I teach..." Dr. John Hendrix Clarke

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2017, 07:05:36 PM »
Honestly, I watched the FT.Valley game against West Georgia on demand and y’all are maybe two-three years out from being a solid program.

Yes, I said that earlier last year that it is going to take at least 4 years for our new coach. And it's looking that way.

that's all...

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule