News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: CIAA band rule is bad for HBCU football  (Read 2343 times)

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
Re: CIAA band rule is bad for HBCU football
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2017, 09:00:14 PM »
Yeah that is a very good point.  It comes down to the AD's and the Band Directors's working TOGETHER to ensure that doesn't happen.   :tiptoe:
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2017, 11:31:53 PM »
The home team band could go first. ^^^^^
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline AimHigh

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 09, 2017, 09:08:59 AM »
SOLUTION: Have the visiting band perform either just before the game or immediately after the game.

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2017, 12:20:32 PM »
Seeing this for the first time yesterday. .  this rule can be problematic.  Both Shaw's band and NCCU's band played very well; but both shows seemed rushed.  NCCU left the field with 2+ minutes left and without performing a 'breakdown' segment.

I truly wonder if HBCUs had any representation on the rules committee to argue on our behalf?  Like KHawk said, I think this was about the big boys on TV; so why impose this rule on the lower divisions?

Also, would visiting bands purposely try to lengthen their shows to help out their football team?

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2017, 04:46:46 PM »
Seeing this for the first time yesterday. .  this rule can be problematic.  Both Shaw's band and NCCU's band played very well; but both shows seemed rushed.  NCCU left the field with 2+ minutes left and without performing a 'breakdown' segment.

I truly wonder if HBCUs had any representation on the rules committee to argue on our behalf?  Like KHawk said, I think this was about the big boys on TV; so why impose this rule on the lower divisions?

Also, would visiting bands purposely try to lengthen their shows to help out their football team?

It worked well at Duke.  NCCU must be intentional not to schedule commercials during halftime.  Shaw band didn't get on the field until around the 16 minute mark.  Central could have done more but they decided to end close to 2 min. early.  Still, I don't like this rule. 

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2017, 11:08:02 PM »

It worked well at Duke.  NCCU must be intentional not to schedule commercials during halftime.  Shaw band didn't get on the field until around the 16 minute mark.  Central could have done more but they decided to end close to 2 min. early.  Still, I don't like this rule.

Sponsors are going to win the battle between commercials and the bands every time.    They're investing in the program, while visiting bands aren't.  The visiting band performing at halftime is mainly an HBCU thing; so I doubt we were  considered in the rule making. 

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2017, 12:30:13 AM »

Sponsors are going to win the battle between commercials and the bands every time.    They're investing in the program, while visiting bands aren't.  The visiting band performing at halftime is mainly an HBCU thing; so I doubt we were  considered in the rule making.

I wonder how much Durham County Health Department contributed?  Those that contributed still don't need that much time during halftime.  That video from the Health Department really didn't get its message across because the fans that paid, wanted to see the bands.  I am included. 

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News