News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: CIAA band rule is bad for HBCU football  (Read 2530 times)

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
CIAA band rule is bad for HBCU football
« on: September 06, 2017, 02:29:36 PM »
Killing the halftime battle of the bands is a losing proposition for the CIAA.

Steven J. Gaither - September 6, 2017

The CIAA has been a groundbreaker in athletics since it was founded back in 1912. The first conference to serve as a home for black college sports, it has been leading the way for HBCU 125, commemorating the 125th anniversary of the first game between HBCUs, Livingstone and Johnson C. Smith (then Biddle College).

But as the conference celebrates the history of black college football, complete with a commemorative logo,  it is also encroaching on what people love most about HBCU football with a new rule that already has bandheads shaking their collective fist.

An email circulated conference-wide announced that visiting bands would no longer be allowed to perform at halftime of CIAA football games effective this season.

“During all football regular season games, visiting bands may be invited to participate in the host game day experience but will not be allowed to participate in any halftime activity on the field. It will be at the home team’s discretion whether to allow the visiting band to participate in any post-game activities or performances,” the email read.

Read More
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 03:46:09 PM by westcoastaggie »

Offline House Rules

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Re: CIAA band rule is bad for HBCU football
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2017, 03:01:37 PM »
When I first read the subject title, I thought it was surely a hoax; after reading the story, I can't believe the CIAA gave this serious consideration.  It appears to be overreaction to the NCAA rule.  If it stays true, I believe it will reduce the number of trips visiting bands will commit to.  Why would a band, (say Livingstone) practice their halftime show for two weeks, then board a bus for Bowie St. on a non-homecoming weekend game, only to sit in the stands at halftime? :no:

I'm a band head, and I'll clearly state that this rule is bullSh*t.  I suspect it will be reconsidered.  Wait...I DEMAND that it be reconsidered.  >:( 

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • House Pride!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 03:18:59 PM »
Wait...I DEMAND that it be reconsidered.  >:(

:lol: House Rules making demands, y'all head my brotha's demands.  ;D

Interesting decision by the CIAA.  I would think maybe OUR schools should implement a required-shorter halftime show by visiting and home bands, 7 or 8 minutes each? Quit it with those long tired slow songs and just keep the flow moving? EDIT these long dramatic entrances? Truth be told, there are only 2 or 3 bands who's entrance I look forward to on the field: Jackson State, FAMU and maybe Texas Southern...thats it.   ;D The only real effect this will have on CIAA games? Visiting schools won't bring their band. But...I digress.

:popcorn:

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 03:28:21 PM »
This rule is some straight bulls**t for real. I guess a 5th quarter has more appeal, if this is the new ruling. I'm sure there were NO COLLEGE BAND DIRECTORS present at whatever meeting they had to incorporate this stupidity.
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2017, 04:00:09 PM »
I agree with everyone of you. This has got to be the worst rule in the history of HBCU sports. Talk about an attendance killer in a conference that can't afford to lose anymore fans. Half the attraction is the band performance at halftime.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2017, 04:32:30 PM »
When you buy the ticket the band is not mentioned.  If you want to see the band so much buy a ticket to see only the band play.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 04:38:50 PM »
When you buy the ticket the band is not mentioned.  If you want to see the band so much buy a ticket to see only the band play.

Coming for FSU, you don't really know what a  band looks like until we show up to beat ya'll. Your fans come to see our band, that is why you sell more tickets when we visit.  :nod:

Even your students come to see us. I saw them cheering for both our band and football team the last time we played ya'll... this is the truth.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 04:41:02 PM by Ram55 »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2017, 04:41:19 PM »

Coming for FSU, you don't really know what a  band looks like until we show up to beat ya'll. Your fans come to see our band, that is why you sell more tickets when we visit.  :nod:

Wrong again.  We sell more tickets because you people travel well.  We don't give a damn about a band.

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2017, 06:19:03 PM »

Are you going to become a promoter of band events, and invite FSU to play, troll?

Offline House Rules

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2017, 06:22:20 PM »
C'mon, Y....you don't believe that, do you? You got plenty of CIAA history, and you KNOW that with football, the band is 50% of the attraction for students, faculty, alumni.  However, it is 90% of the attraction for local high schoolers, middle school students and even elementary students.  As an 8th grader, I remember marching with WSSU's band all the way down Fourth Street during homecoming in 1972, and I kept marching with them all the way to Bowman Gray Stadium.  I wouldn't miss halftime.  Wanted to see my hometown Rams do the get-down, but also wanted to see if the visiting team's band had the guts to pull off an upset.

....I'm pretty upset with the CIAA right now. :vomit:

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2017, 06:28:56 PM »
C'mon, Y....you don't believe that, do you? You got plenty of CIAA history, and you KNOW that with football, the band is 50% of the attraction for students, faculty, alumni.  However, it is 90% of the attraction for local high schoolers, middle school students and even elementary students.  As an 8th grader, I remember marching with WSSU's band all the way down Fourth Street during homecoming in 1972, and I kept marching with them all the way to Bowman Gray Stadium.  I wouldn't miss halftime.  Wanted to see my hometown Rams do the get-down, but also wanted to see if the visiting team's band had the guts to pull off an upset.

Y is just trolling. It's what he do best.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2017, 10:46:12 PM »

Y is just trolling. It's what he do best.

Your mama.

House Rules,  basically all HBCU halftime shows are the same.  You know how the show is going to start. You know how it's going to end.  There's nothing new. 

There is no creativity. 

Offline Oldschoolram

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2017, 07:45:23 AM »

Damn you make a brother feel like his name. Ramtuff and I ended up organizing that parade, because the administrator LEFT us with the line up and disappeared.  ANYway if you followed the band to the game, you saw one of the very few beatings our band took in those days.  Shaw in dashikis Rolled the Stone on us.

ANYway I joined the band the next year after my knee said no more basketball. Band shows were 7 1/2 minutes long including Fanfare, Downfield drill, slow song, dance routine and exit. Of course, they extended it for homecoming.  Now............We have to watch the the the, oh never mind.  I will just end by saying if you have more than two drum majors, you are part of the problem.  The other part is adding a song just for the dancers............. Something needs to go.

As for the CIAA decision, I HOPE it was the Board, and not the Commissioner.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2017, 07:50:50 AM »
Well, your band members can come on to the SIAC where WE PLAY HARD.

that's all...    :popcorn:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2017, 07:59:15 AM »
Well, your band members can come on to the SIAC where WE PLAY HARD.

that's all...    :popcorn:

Oh hell no!  I remember the last time FSU played a SIAC school.  Oh, the humanity!

Thanks Yogi.  You really know how to hurt a guy. 

Now I have to go to the VA for some happy pills.   :tiptoe: :tiptoe: :tiptoe:

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News