News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Allen Univ. students fear fee balance may stop graduation  (Read 930 times)

Offline DTMCYB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Allen Univ. students fear fee balance may stop graduation
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2017, 11:35:55 PM »
When I was much younger I would wonder why BCU and AU couldn't merge. I was told it was due to their religious affiliations. If it's true or not I thought it would be a good idea. I think like most HBCU's Benedict has it's issues too.

I doubt a merger will ever happen between these two.  Religious affiliations definitely plays a role.

Offline scstatealum

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • SCSU Doghouse Message Board
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2017, 10:07:16 AM »
1. We know "the state taking over" would mean the doors would close and the campus would be turned into re-purposed high end condos and park space. I really hate hearing alums say stuff like that Cap. And yes, I know it was very bad then.

2. If Allen were to demand their money up front prior to classes starting, they'd have a woefully low enrollment. Then we'd be talking firing everyone in enrollment management for not recruiting.

3. Our people have a misguided idea about financial aid. This young lady knew she didn't have enough aid to cover her entire bill each semester. $33k does not accumulate in one year. When is she going to be held responsible for the CHOICE to continue to enroll at Allen? Especially when in the piece she admitted to receiving a bill in August.

private school....the state wont step in...

For more on SCSU, join us @ http://scstatedoghouse.proboards.com/

Offline scstatealum

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • SCSU Doghouse Message Board
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2017, 10:11:29 AM »
She knew she owed that money.

Come of folks, stop giving Allen a free pass. It is their job to manage these things.

So what should they have done?  Run around and beg her to pay her bill?  Jokers know how to work the emotions of folks in the Business Office...crying...all the sad stories...the come up.  So blame the school for giving you the opportunity to be in school knowing you have a bill?  

If anything Mc_____ came in there and said this has got to stop and put that hammer down.  LOL

If your money aignt right....go to a cheaper school...or take out more loans...get a part time gig....do something.  Don't wait until it's all due NOW it's an issue and say the school didn't do something to fix it.

I like Allen...I have family who went there.  but she shouldnt have been able to enroll with a balance.  and I know that enrollment would drop.  but people gotta pay.  and I dont think she should be able to graduate with teh debt.  now allen should have let her know she had the debt sooner, but I do agree that she knew she wasnt paying the full amount so she owed something.  there is fault on both sides....but she shouldhave to pay before she graduates....

this is the same issue SCSU had.  students carry balances...some drop out and never pay them.  the school pays for teachers, services, food etc, for students, some of which who have not paid.  so teh school absorbs that debt......now that sacs can puniosh you for carrying to much debt, schools are less likely to let a student carry a debt......

For more on SCSU, join us @ http://scstatedoghouse.proboards.com/

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2017, 12:21:35 PM »
At the end of the day, the college is going to be seen as the boogie man in the situation, regardless of the student's personal  responsibility. A college has to manage such situations, to avoid negative publicity. They should have known a disgruntled student and her parents would run to the media. They should have taken the enrollment hit up front and stopped her from registering. But no, they were trying to be compassionate, and ended up getting burned. This is what I call the black funeral home game. Family come crying when a love one dies and promise to pay if they are given credit. But once that body is in the ground, they go on about their business and don't even think about you. Allen got burned two times by that girl. They don't have her money, and the world now thinks the administration is incompetent. You avoid situations like this by having rules and enforcing them.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 02:47:00 PM by Capler »

Online EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2017, 12:58:31 PM »
This may be the reason or contributed to the reason that they had the change in leadership and brought in old boy.

I totally agree with you Cap...see...we are not heartless. :)

At some point schools need to set standards and live by them.  Even if it means a decrease in enrollment and adjust your school accordingly.  I rather have 1000 $zero balance students than 2000 iffy jokers. 

Besides, Allen is probably still around $12-15K total to attend, if that much. 
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule