News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Allen Univ. students fear fee balance may stop graduation  (Read 743 times)

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Allen Univ. students fear fee balance may stop graduation
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2017, 09:05:58 AM »

WHO is over registration, accounting, financial aid, etc? Bozo the Clown?

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2017, 10:43:44 AM »
It time for another incompetent president to go. BTW, that anchor woman looks like she just rolled up out of bed.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2017, 11:24:20 AM »
Sorry but she knew she owed $33K...

Teeny and Little

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2017, 12:03:04 PM »
GK, I have to agree with you. You should know what you have paid and what you owe.  Debt does not just fall into the cracks in the sofa  ::)  However, Its enough blame to go around.  :brickwall:

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017, 03:02:51 PM »

Ohh yes they knew they had a bill.  Now they posting up like this is brand new.  OK..let her walk, then don't give her a transcript or a degree until it's paid back, with interest.

Folks are a trip.  When these small schools don't let you register with a balance, there is a problem.  When they let them walk and graduate with a bill, they don't pay back or take a millennium to do it.  AU is going to end up writing off this debt at some point.  This is a horrible way to run a business/college.

This is why some our small private schools are in such a a financial mess and have high student loan default rates.

I bet she couldn't do that up the street at USC and I think at BC also.

Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 03:09:17 PM »
GK, I have to agree with you. You should know what you have paid and what you owe.  Debt does not just fall into the cracks in the sofa  ::)  However, Its enough blame to go around.  :brickwall:

The problem is that the college kept allowing her to enroll, and the debt kept accumulating. This practice is what got many HBCUs into trouble decades ago. In the end, the college and the student are in much worst financial shape. It would have been better to force her to settle up on day one. Nobody is giving loans and grants for class work that has already been completed.  

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2017, 03:12:54 PM »

Ohh yes they knew they had a bill.  Now they posting up like this is brand new.  OK..let her walk, then don't give her a transcript or a degree until it's paid back, with interest.

Folks are a trip.  When these small schools don't let you register with a balance, there is a problem.  When they let them walk and graduate with a bill, they don't pay back or take a millennium to do it.  AU is going to end up writing off this debt at some point.  This is a horrible way to run a business/college.

This is why some our small private schools are in such a a financial mess and have high student loan default rates.

You Skegee Cats are kind of heartless. What they mix in with that red punch they served y'all back in the day, saltpeter?

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2017, 03:19:38 PM »
When I was much younger I would wonder why BCU and AU couldn't merge. I was told it was due to their religious affiliations. If it's true or not I thought it would be a good idea. I think like most HBCU's Benedict has it's issues too.

Offline jag4life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.southernjags.com
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 03:29:03 PM »
She knew she owed that money.

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2017, 03:29:23 PM »
When I was much younger I would wonder why BCU and AU couldn't merge. I was told it was due to their religious affiliations. If it's true or not I thought it would be a good idea. I think like most HBCU's Benedict has it's issues too.

When I was at Shaw, every night before bed, we prayed the state would step in and take us over. Yes it was that bad.  ;D

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2017, 03:31:44 PM »

Come of folks, stop giving Allen a free pass. It is their job to manage these things.

Offline Bearforlife

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2017, 03:39:09 PM »
1. We know "the state taking over" would mean the doors would close and the campus would be turned into re-purposed high end condos and park space. I really hate hearing alums say stuff like that Cap. And yes, I know it was very bad then.

2. If Allen were to demand their money up front prior to classes starting, they'd have a woefully low enrollment. Then we'd be talking firing everyone in enrollment management for not recruiting.

3. Our people have a misguided idea about financial aid. This young lady knew she didn't have enough aid to cover her entire bill each semester. $33k does not accumulate in one year. When is she going to be held responsible for the CHOICE to continue to enroll at Allen? Especially when in the piece she admitted to receiving a bill in August.

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2017, 05:22:46 PM »

Ohh yes they knew they had a bill.  Now they posting up like this is brand new.  OK..let her walk, then don't give her a transcript or a degree until it's paid back, with interest.

Folks are a trip.  When these small schools don't let you register with a balance, there is a problem.  When they let them walk and graduate with a bill, they don't pay back or take a millennium to do it.  AU is going to end up writing off this debt at some point.  This is a horrible way to run a business/college.

You Skegee Cats are kind of heartless. What they mix in with that red punch they served y'all back in the day, saltpeter?

Nooooo.  :nono2:

I can only speak for the 5 yrs I was there.  You had to be at a $0 balance to register and if you made arraignments then you need to be paid up by the end of the semester or no exams.  That's just good business.

At two of the schools i worked at...I know for a fact at one...of the 140ish graduates that walked....about 20 of them were not financial.  

There is no way you don't know what your bill is.  If you don't then it says something about the education your just received and your desire to try to get over on the benevolence of the school.  She knows she could NOT have done it at Columbia College or Midlands Tech.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2017, 11:31:51 AM by EL JAY »
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2017, 05:29:18 PM »

Come of folks, stop giving Allen a free pass. It is their job to manage these things.

So what should they have done?  Run around and beg her to pay her bill?  Jokers know how to work the emotions of folks in the Business Office...crying...all the sad stories...the come up.  So blame the school for giving you the opportunity to be in school knowing you have a bill?  

If anything Mc_____ came in there and said this has got to stop and put that hammer down.  LOL

If your money aignt right....go to a cheaper school...or take out more loans...get a part time gig....do something.  Don't wait until it's all due NOW it's an issue and say the school didn't do something to fix it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017, 05:30:53 PM by EL JAY »
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule