News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.  "PERSONAL ATTACKS" will not be tolerated.  Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Charlotte trying to host WSSU v. NCCU in Classic Game at BOA Stadium in 2020  (Read 5017 times)

Offline AggieManiac704

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Good!!!  We need to get our band numbers up though. 

yes....yes....and more yes.....

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Charlotte should invite Jackson State and Grambling State to play in BOA stadium. :clap:

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
Charlotte should invite Jackson State and Grambling State to play in BOA stadium. :clap:

Hell no, so they can find a reason to boycott and skip It?

NCA&T vs. Tennessee State would be an ideal match up for the 1st year.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

HBCU classics and bowl games do not draw well in Charlotte. Memorial Stadium (24k) would be more than large enough for any game played here.

I was thinking the same thing. ACC Championship and Belk Bowl (depending on the teams playing draw big crowds.) But Memorial (older and smaller) would look better attendance wise.

I think the last 2 times A&T vs nccu was played here attendance only came in around 16,000. I can't see wssu vs nccu doing much better.  

Lol, I still remember the Pioneer Bowl Game in Charlotte where TU fans outnumbered JC Smith fans whose campus was only minutes away!!!

That's because both NCCU and NCA&T sucked.
I don't know Drumma they haven't sucked the last couple of years and their draw has been suspect,  so maybe they are on to something.  People in that area seem to be more into CIAA basketball than MEAC football.  :shrug: I'm guessing a WSSU vs A&T Classic would be a better draw since they don't play each other plus if its a one time deal that would make more sense.  Not saying it will happen but makes more sense IMHO.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:47:17 PM by Que82 »

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

HBCU classics and bowl games do not draw well in Charlotte. Memorial Stadium (24k) would be more than large enough for any game played here.

I was thinking the same thing. ACC Championship and Belk Bowl (depending on the teams playing draw big crowds.) But Memorial (older and smaller) would look better attendance wise.

I think the last 2 times A&T vs nccu was played here attendance only came in around 16,000. I can't see wssu vs nccu doing much better. 

Lol, I still remember the Pioneer Bowl Game in Charlotte where TU fans outnumbered JC Smith fans whose campus was only minutes away!!!

I don't know Drumma they haven't sucked the last couple of years and their draw has been suspect,  so maybe they are on to something.  People in that area seem to be more into CIAA basketball than MEAC football.  :shrug:

Call me crazy but I believe an Aggie/Eagle basketball game would draw more in the Greensboro Colliseum than Aggie/Eagle football game.

For a comparison, Aggie Stadium holds just 2,000 more than the Greensboro Colliseum.

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile

I don't know Drumma they haven't sucked the last couple of years and their draw has been suspect,  so maybe they are on to something.  People in that area seem to be more into CIAA basketball than MEAC football.  :shrug: I'm guessing a WSSU vs A&T Classic would be a better draw since they don't play each other plus if its a one time deal that would make more sense.  Not saying it will happen but makes more sense IMHO.

Honestly, I feel variables come into play.

1. The game is played a week before Thanksgiving.

2. When they did play in the middle of the season, neither team was any good.

3. Both stadiums are small.

Fans want something to get excited about. A game with your rival, a week prior to Thanksgiving in a small stadium ain't gonna cut it. I'm not advocating for the Aggie-Eagle to be moved to Charlotte because NCCU fans are likely to travel we'll to Raleigh than Charlotte. I'm just pointing out the variables as to why the attendance has not been "respectable" during the last decade.

Sidenote: NCCU needs to really invest in its band. I know the Aggie-Eagle games in the 1990s had attendance of 35K-45K when their band was small but times are different. Fans want to see a great band battle along with good football on a warm day.

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Drumma, I agree!  I think it's wrong to compare an A&T/WSSU on Labor Day and A&T/NCCU a week before Thanksgiving.  A&T draws 12-14,000 on Labor Day without Winston.  Tickets are also higher during the NCCU/A&T game so the causal fans in the city do not attend.   
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

I don't know Drumma they haven't sucked the last couple of years and their draw has been suspect,  so maybe they are on to something.  People in that area seem to be more into CIAA basketball than MEAC football.  :shrug: I'm guessing a WSSU vs A&T Classic would be a better draw since they don't play each other plus if its a one time deal that would make more sense.  Not saying it will happen but makes more sense IMHO.

Fans want something to get excited about. A game with your rival, a week prior to Thanksgiving in a small stadium ain't gonna cut it. I'm not advocating for the Aggie-Eagle to be moved to Charlotte because NCCU fans are likely to travel we'll to Raleigh than Charlotte. I'm just pointing out the variables as to why the attendance has not been "respectable" during the last decade.

Sidenote: NCCU needs to really invest in its band. I know the Aggie-Eagle games in the 1990s had attendance of 35K-45K when their band was small but times are different. Fans want to see a great band battle along with good football on a warm day.

I really don't think you get the current dynamics between A&T and NCCU. Both administrations are beyond satisfied with the current arrangement and revenue generation. It is what it is.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile

I don't know Drumma they haven't sucked the last couple of years and their draw has been suspect,  so maybe they are on to something.  People in that area seem to be more into CIAA basketball than MEAC football.  :shrug:

Call me crazy but I believe an Aggie/Eagle basketball game would draw more in the Greensboro Colliseum than Aggie/Eagle football game.

For a comparison, Aggie Stadium holds just 2,000 more than the Greensboro Colliseum.

what is aggie stadium seating capacity?

Offline westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile

what is aggie stadium seating capacity?

We say Aggie Stadium's capacity is 21,500.

Edit: The Coliseum is at 23,000 currently.

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile

I really don't think you get the current dynamics between A&T and NCCU. Both administrations are beyond satisfied with the current arrangement and revenue generation. It is what it is.

I am going to meet with your chancellor and/or athletic director soon to inquire.

Offline AggieManiac704

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

I am going to meet with your chancellor and/or athletic director soon to inquire.

please & thank you.....if you could let us know what was said & how the tone was behind 0the words....it would be greatly appreciated

Offline AggieManiac704

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Blog

i happen to agree with drumma on his example points here

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile

I don't think he understands the history of the series and how we had a bad deal in Raleigh but continued to play because of tradition. Also the reasoning was bogus , i was happy when we pulled out.

Just don't see going back to how it was in the early 90s. Everyone is happy. Just can't see us leaving Aggie Stadium unless its a nice guarantee

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Professor, I think that's the point, a nice guarantee which is more money and exposure.  I think the NCCU/A&T game can grow similar to the Florida Classic and others.  As bad of a deal you guys had in Raleigh, that game drew more people.  I know being on Labor Day helped too.  With proper promotions, this game can be bigger regardless of when it is played.   
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

==========

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News