News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Alumni ready to fight for SSU to stay in Division I  (Read 8690 times)

Offline Devin

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Alumni ready to fight for SSU to stay in Division I
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2017, 09:54:19 PM »
Obviously, they didn't bother to do their research. There are no BCS. They are either Power 5 or FBS.

They're all FBS at that level. There is no either. It's just the major conferences are distinguished as P5, formerly BCS conferences.,

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2017, 10:10:50 PM »
All I'm saying is don't get caught up in semantics. The tenor of what he is saying is true.  The HBCU digest that is. 

The Bowl Championship Series (BCS) was a selection system that created five bowl game match-ups involving ten of the top ranked teams in the National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) Division I Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS) of American college football, including an opportunity for the top two teams to compete in the BCS National Championship Game. The system was in place for the 1998 through 2013 seasons and in 2014 was replaced by the College Football Playoff.

Offline EPJr

• Assistant GM
  • So Proud 2B a Panther; 2B a Union Panther
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 10:17:24 PM »
I am not going to entertain that narrative by the HBCUDigest. They lost credibility with me when they started naming Georgia Southern a BCS school. Obviously, they didn't bother to do their research. There are no BCS. They are either Power 5 or FBS.

Again, whatever decision our Orange Cousins decide, I will be happy for them. I will be happier if they return back to the SIAC. I miss our home-to-home back in the day. It's sad that the current students from either school don't know nor understand the history and the rivalry between both schools. I miss those two hour drives to Savannah.

that's all...

make that P5 and G5 (GSU is a G5 school)

2x CIAA Champions - Go Lady Panthers!!!

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 11:23:10 PM »
I am not going to entertain that narrative by the HBCUDigest. They lost credibility with me when they started naming Georgia Southern a BCS school. Obviously, they didn't bother to do their research. There are no BCS. They are either Power 5 or FBS.

Again, whatever decision our Orange Cousins decide, I will be happy for them. I will be happier if they return back to the SIAC. I miss our home-to-home back in the day. It's sad that the current students from either school don't know nor understand the history and the rivalry between both schools. I miss those two hour drives to Savannah.

that's all...

Nah man it's just semantics.  What's wrong with you expecting a sports writer or whatever to actually be accurate and showing some knowledge of what he's professing to be an expert at in his field?

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2017, 08:14:45 AM »
It would appear that a school as old and the size of Savannah State could take the Walker proposal and increase it.  There has to be 6000 - 8000 alumni capable of giving $1000 dollars to the school each year.  Okay maybe 1000 giving a $1000. A MILLION SEEM A LOT UNTIL BROKEN DOWN IN BIT SIZE PIECES and if by chance they can match with an employer (the school on the academic side) get another 1000 from each giver.  Then the request by Walker to each Alumni chapters giving such a low amount. Surely he expects more than 30k in total.  Maybe its a starting figure but  This is 2017 not 1985.  A different mindset - with the nice facilities and all, SSU folk are lukewarm on following the team and coming to their stadium when we played down there.  :shrug: :shrug:  Folk love to see failure, but if the athletic deficit is only 300k  not bad so join the national athletic red ink team.  That is normal, however when you factor in the low student athletic fees the results are seemingly inevitable.  SSU has to increase the season tickets cost and sales (those who are coming are coming).  Every alumni chapter member in an 2 hours drive from Savannah should have a season ticket.  TRY AT LEAST in the tax deductible giving- the freebee match from YOUR employer to the university.  TWO BIRD WITH ONE STONE.  The problem, like most HBCU's, is cultural relative to giving.  
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 08:20:55 AM by Thinkingaboutit »

Online westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2017, 08:45:55 AM »
It would appear that a school as old and the size of Savannah State could take the Walker proposal and increase it.  There has to be 6000 - 8000 alumni capable of giving $1000 dollars to the school each year.  Okay maybe 1000 giving a $1000. A MILLION SEEM A LOT UNTIL BROKEN DOWN IN BIT SIZE PIECES and if by chance they can match with an employer (the school on the academic side) get another 1000 from each giver.  Then the request by Walker to each Alumni chapters giving such a low amount. Surely he expects more than 30k in total.  Maybe its a starting figure but  This is 2017 not 1985.  A different mindset - with the nice facilities and all, SSU folk are lukewarm on following the team and coming to their stadium when we played down there.  :shrug: :shrug:  Folk love to see failure, but if the athletic deficit is only 300k  not bad so join the national athletic red ink team.  That is normal, however when you factor in the low student athletic fees the results are seemingly inevitable.  SSU has to increase the season tickets cost and sales (those who are coming are coming).  Every alumni chapter member in an 2 hours drive from Savannah should have a season ticket.  TRY AT LEAST in the tax deductible giving- the freebee match from YOUR employer to the university.  TWO BIRD WITH ONE STONE.  The problem, like most HBCU's, is cultural relative to giving.  

Umm... I do not believe season tickets are tax deductible.  :shrug:

Also, not every alum within two hours need to have football season tickets. Everyone does not like football.  :shrug:

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2017, 09:23:23 AM »

Also, not every alum within two hours need to have football season tickets. Everyone does not like football.  :shrug:

Every alumni that has a business should have season tickets.  They should also advertise on the radio and TV broadcasts of the games. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Online westcoastaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2017, 09:30:37 AM »

Every alumni that has a business should have season tickets.  They should also advertise on the radio and TV broadcasts of the games. 

Huh?

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2017, 09:38:06 AM »

Huh?

Advertising for the business at the games.  The season tickets are an investment.  They can bring clients to the games.  If no clients they can use the tickets as rewards employee rewards. 

Are you saying SSU doesn't broadcast their games on radio?

Offline 92 SSU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2017, 10:35:39 AM »

In theory everything on paper sounds/looks simple. If it was so ALL HBCUs would be great financially. But nearly all hbcus from the largest to the smallest that sponsor NCAA athletics are struggling financially. No need for some to front. Some are realistic and dealing with it appropriately while some are not.

First, there are MANY alum who have given consistently to academics for decades. Some of these people will never ever give to athletics. The pool of potential donors to athletics needs to be expanded. For that to happen you need a well thought out plan that is embraced and driven by alumni and the schools administration. If you're going to get buy in from masses of folks people need to see/feel/believe the Institution is being run by honest competent folks.

Honestly another issue is the lack of knowledge of the general fan base in regards to what type of yearly effort it takes to finance athletics at the D1 level. Many of us on this board are in somewhat of a bubble as the general HBCU fan base for some schools only see big checks coming in and don't understand many schools are close to athletic financial ruin.

These are some things that should happen well BEFORE a school attempts a move up. After the fact when you are near failure makes it so much more difficult.

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 03:42:35 PM »

that's all...

Nah man it's just semantics.  What's wrong with you expecting a sports writer or whatever to actually be accurate and showing some knowledge of what he's professing to be an expert at in his field?

Yeah, I don't know if this guy is a SPORT'S WRITER, per se.  I have seen articles he's written regarding HBCU's ranging from political, academic, athletic, etc.

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 03:48:46 PM »
It would appear that a school as old and the size of Savannah State could take the Walker proposal and increase it.  There has to be 6000 - 8000 alumni capable of giving $1000 dollars to the school each year.  Okay maybe 1000 giving a $1000. A MILLION SEEM A LOT UNTIL BROKEN DOWN IN BIT SIZE PIECES and if by chance they can match with an employer (the school on the academic side) get another 1000 from each giver.  Then the request by Walker to each Alumni chapters giving such a low amount. Surely he expects more than 30k in total.  Maybe its a starting figure but  This is 2017 not 1985.  A different mindset - with the nice facilities and all, SSU folk are lukewarm on following the team and coming to their stadium when we played down there.  :shrug: :shrug:  Folk love to see failure, but if the athletic deficit is only 300k  not bad so join the national athletic red ink team.  That is normal, however when you factor in the low student athletic fees the results are seemingly inevitable.  SSU has to increase the season tickets cost and sales (those who are coming are coming).  Every alumni chapter member in an 2 hours drive from Savannah should have a season ticket. TRY AT LEAST in the tax deductible giving- the freebee match from YOUR employer to the university.  TWO BIRD WITH ONE STONE.  The problem, like most HBCU's, is cultural relative to giving.  

You are absolutely correct.  What wasn't mentioned that is apart of the Walker plan was that we are going to solicit between 600-1000 alums to give 1K, specifically are alumni life members.  

Right now the biggest problem at SSU is having a President that would endorse a drive to save athletics financially.  They summoned her to the Board of Regents System's office right before contract renewals (this month) and gave her an ultimatum that she move us back to Division II or else she would unemployed.  She is currently lying to alumni telling them it was her decision, trying to shield the system's office and save her job, because this is just her nature.  I can't blame her need for self survival.  But it is no coincidence the timing of it all.  She has travelled her hearts content not really being on campus creating strategic plans academically or athletically for our survival.  When the issue of Skidaway Institute came up, in reference to which institution should be at the helm of the Island marine institute, not only did she not lobby but discouraged alumni from lobbying - almost begging us not to fight for it.  She has not introduced a single viable academic program to campus since her arrival nearly seven years ago, and she is insistent on not building anymore student housing, despite we have a demand for it.  She can't keep an academic affairs officer, and in seven years she has not generated a strategic plan.  This is a joke.  If SSU fails it is the fault of the apathetic alumni. 

In short, any plan would be successful if the president and leadership was behind it. 

« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 04:06:49 PM by Conquero »

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 04:25:50 PM »
It would appear that a school as old and the size of Savannah State could take the Walker proposal and increase it.  There has to be 6000 - 8000 alumni capable of giving $1000 dollars to the school each year.  Okay maybe 1000 giving a $1000. A MILLION SEEM A LOT UNTIL BROKEN DOWN IN BIT SIZE PIECES and if by chance they can match with an employer (the school on the academic side) get another 1000 from each giver.  Then the request by Walker to each Alumni chapters giving such a low amount. Surely he expects more than 30k in total.  Maybe its a starting figure but  This is 2017 not 1985.  A different mindset - with the nice facilities and all, SSU folk are lukewarm on following the team and coming to their stadium when we played down there.  :shrug: :shrug:  Folk love to see failure, but if the athletic deficit is only 300k  not bad so join the national athletic red ink team.  That is normal, however when you factor in the low student athletic fees the results are seemingly inevitable.  SSU has to increase the season tickets cost and sales (those who are coming are coming).  Every alumni chapter member in an 2 hours drive from Savannah should have a season ticket. TRY AT LEAST in the tax deductible giving- the freebee match from YOUR employer to the university.  TWO BIRD WITH ONE STONE.  The problem, like most HBCU's, is cultural relative to giving.  

You are absolutely correct.  What wasn't mentioned that is apart of the Walker plan was that we are going to solicit between 600-1000 alums to give 1K, specifically are alumni life members.  

Right now the biggest problem at SSU is having a President that would endorse a drive to save athletics financially.  They summoned her to the Board of Regents System's office right before contract renewals (this month) and gave her an ultimatum that she move us back to Division II or else she would unemployed.  She is currently lying to alumni telling them it was her decision, trying to shield the system's office and save her job, because this is just her nature.  I can't blame her need for self survival.  But it is no coincidence the timing of it all.  She has travelled her hearts content not really being on campus creating strategic plans academically or athletically for our survival.  When the issue of Skidaway Institute came up, in reference to which institution should be at the helm of the Island marine institute, not only did she not lobby but discouraged alumni from lobbying - almost begging us not to fight for it.  She has not introduced a single viable academic program to campus since her arrival nearly seven years ago, and she is insistent on not building anymore student housing, despite we have a demand for it.  She can't keep an academic affairs officer, and in seven years she has not generated a strategic plan.  This is a joke.  If SSU fails it is the fault of the apathetic alumni. 

In short, any plan would be successful if the president and leadership was behind it. 

I didn't know it was that bad down there.

Online eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 08:36:56 PM »
Wow Conquero, that is some deep stuff.  I know you can do it, but without proper leadership, it will not be done. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline Thinkingaboutit

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2017, 09:11:41 PM »

That Walker plan is a start and a good one.  No one said you could deduct season tickets.   :shrug:  The suggestion was that true blue marsh cats within a 2 hours drive should be encouraged within those alumni chapters to purchase season tickets if they are SSUFB supporters.  Push for 1000-1500 alumni to give SSU 1000 each year.  They are out there.  Walker with others can identify the potentials and go from there. Sure, there are the "yeah, buts" on the campus, in the administration, and alumni who will not support anything other than a paycheck received and giving nothing back.  Start by looking at your faculty and staff who give back NOTHING! It starts with that picture of mirrored self. 

NCCU, which I am a graduate of, has its problems too.   They do make an attempt to better things with different approaches and some actually work.  Why not get behind Walker cry?. He needs all SSU support and it would be a crying shame to sit on your hands and watch this happen. People are bought and sold everyday at your expense.

There are persons who are NCCU season ticket holders living in another state who attend maybe two games a year in Durham.  They have purchased them for years. And you Aggies do the same.  Look at your 2hr distanced alumni that purchase season tickets each year?

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW=