News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: Alumni ready to fight for SSU to stay in Division I  (Read 8542 times)

Offline 92 SSU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Alumni ready to fight for SSU to stay in Division I
« Reply #45 on: April 18, 2017, 05:32:48 AM »
Doesn't matter how much you show a local video if locally you are covered in the media as an inept leader who has consistently fumbled with the basics like not communicating crisis issues in a timely manner or creating housing debacles that was widely publicized.

I'm not into conspiracy theories on this but something does not jive about spending nearly a million on a local short term campaign. I would not be shocked if someone could follow the money to see if the firm has ties to someone on the regents.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:34:50 AM by 92 SSU »

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 18, 2017, 08:07:40 AM »
92 SSU, that's why I asked because researching the firm that was utilized, they have done several educational brand campaigns including West Georgia. The funny thing is the West Georgia piece I remember seeing it a year ago on social media and other places. And I don't live in Georgia. Honestly, the Savannah State campaign is new to me and first time seeing it. I don't know if the firm had anything to do with it. I think it is more the university since they are the client who should have more precedent to what are the deliverables in this. I just would like to know what was pitched to them and what was the ROI in this campaign. Almost a million dollars isn't anything to sneeze at.

that's all...    :shrug:

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #47 on: April 18, 2017, 12:07:04 PM »
Where was Mr. Walker before now? These folks kill me coming out of no where when they know they was suppose to be supporting the school from day 1. Don't wait until the school make a Lifeline announcement to rally the troops. When the Troops should've been working before now. They knew the cost to be on Division I after trying nearly 30 years to become a Division I program. Everybody wants to give now but where were you before now? And this goes to all our HBCU Alums on both Division I,II,III,and Independent don't let your Alma Mater get on a Lifeline before you try to save it. That's why I continue to give to Miles as much as I can every month out of my payroll and I also challenge my family members who are also Miles Grads to do the same. Even my Church Trinity Baptist Church and Sixth Avenue Baptist Church here in Birmingham,Alabama has a special fund that they give Miles every year. And Sixth Avenue Baptist Church has a Miles Day every year at their Church where our President is the speaker and our Choir and Band renders the music on Miles Day. So I'm saying you got to get your Community involve in supporting your School. And General Fund Pot at our Schools has got to be the riches pot in the world. That Pot alone will save your school because we always dumping money like donations and gifts in that pot. So it's time to start spending that General Fund Money for your school. SACs ask us about that when they visit your school when renewing your accreditation. I know because I have heard them asked Miles about it in our meetings. They want to know what are you using that money for or why is it not being used. They told my late President Dr. Sloan to use that money for Staff Development Retreats,Athletic Scholarships, Academic Scholarships, Faculty and Staff raises,and Campus upgrades. Some of our General Funds Pot have over a Billion Dollars in it just sitting there. :nod:
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 18, 2017, 01:06:40 PM »
I'm fairly certain Mr. Walker has been a financial supporter all along...  :nod:

Teeny and Little

Offline 92 SSU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 18, 2017, 04:08:47 PM »
He has been since b4 I met him many years ago.. And all the things Milesbear described with churches occurrs to some degree at SSU. But, over the last two decades we have lost community support in many areas, some of which is very self inflicted.

Also there is no way to dodge the ramifications of the original sin of a base supporting a president that did not have a comprehensive plan to organize and fund the move up.

Offline MilesBear1

• Assistant GM
  • Mr.SIAC/Mr.SWAC
    • View Profile
    • http://www.MilesGoldenBears.com
« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2017, 05:18:39 PM »
Ok 92 SSU
"The Bears Den" and "The ASU Hornets Hive",WSSU
"CME Bowl Champions for Life"
Steel City Classic Champions:01,02,03,05,06
2004 Alabama State University SWAC Champs
2007 Football Attendance Champs
2011,2013,2015,2018,19 SIAC West Div.FB Champs
2011,2015-19 SIAC FB Champs
2011 Pioneer Bowl

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #51 on: April 18, 2017, 05:19:39 PM »
Sounds like the effort should be made to get rid of the inept leader and put someone of quality in place - the rest will fall into place - because if the head isn't right.....
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Rams3

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 18, 2017, 05:53:50 PM »
Sounds like the effort should be made to get rid of the inept leader and put someone of quality in place - the rest will fall into place - because if the head isn't right.....
^^^  :clap: :nod:

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 18, 2017, 07:08:58 PM »
I'm fairly certain Mr. Walker has been a financial supporter all along...  :nod:

A quite generous one at that. 

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 18, 2017, 07:13:05 PM »
He has been since b4 I met him many years ago.. And all the things Milesbear described with churches occurrs to some degree at SSU. But, over the last two decades we have lost community support in many areas, some of which is very self inflicted.

Also there is no way to dodge the ramifications of the original sin of a base supporting a president that did not have a comprehensive plan to organize and fund the move up.

92 I differ with you here.  We didn't have this kind of a deficit before.  Not that the deficit isn't commensurate with similarly situated institutions.  And like I stated on previous threads the chancellor gave the next two presidents an opportunity to look at the plan and determine whether they thought staying division I or moving to division II would be feasible.  Both presidents prior chose to remain Division I.  It's not like they didn't have choices. 

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 18, 2017, 07:37:33 PM »
  And like I stated on previous threads the chancellor gave the next two presidents an opportunity to look at the plan and determine whether they thought staying division I or moving to division II would be feasible.  Both presidents prior chose to remain Division I.  It's not like they didn't have choices. 

My question what role did the alumni play in knowing this deficit and try to resolve the issue? I read in the previous article that Mr. Walker stated they knew about the deficit for some time and still continued on this path. What was the strategic plan or alternative plans, IF they were not able to meet this deficit? As some point, you can't fault the president. The alumni also has a voice and privy to this Division I information.

that's all...    :shrug:

Offline 92 SSU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 18, 2017, 09:23:33 PM »

92 I differ with you here.  We didn't have this kind of a deficit before.  Not that the deficit isn't commensurate with similarly situated institutions.  And like I stated on previous threads the chancellor gave the next two presidents an opportunity to look at the plan and determine whether they thought staying division I or moving to division II would be feasible.  Both presidents prior chose to remain Division I.  It's not like they didn't have choices. 

I don't know about that. We should not have had as big a deficit way back when as an independent when we are rediculously paying head football coaches under $70,000. The assistants were getting paid in the $20,000s. We were d1 in name only. Several years we offered under 40 scholarships. This is just football. Paying basketball coaches peanuts without full scholarships to work with while requiring them to do team laundry. Like I said this was foolish to support, a no brainier. When you start out like that you're doomed. Until as a group we can be honest about the root cause the future will be dim. If we can't we will continue to support incompetent decision making.

The next presidents do not share equal blame in creating the conditions that lead to this. As a new president most are gonna start off doing what the movers and money crew say they want. I have never seen a modern day sustainability study on this for SSU. What I did see was the money giving crew say (this is not a study) we want to be in d1 and we will support it $$$. The next admin did it's best to clean things up, improve facilities and get us in the MEAC. But, with being in a conference the budget expectations increased significantly.

To be honest the admin did come up with a financial recipe. A big part of of it is student fees/enrollment and fundraising, which the admin fail at. But as Yogi said alumni, in particular those who supported this, bear some responsibility. I know some of the main ones who claim to be die-hard don't even come to games other than homecoming and look for a hookup on that ticket. Despite everyone saying we wanna be d1 the attendance numbers suggest they do not want to support it. Student fees and money games can only go so far. Also the extreme deficit is not knew. The regents mentioned our issue in print almost 3 years ago. Certain people also knew they were talking about SSU not being able to stay in d1 for a while.

I know some great ideas are out there now to address a multitude of financial concerns. Those need to stay active to devise a well thought out comprehensive plan. What is gonna hurt the effort is people who wanna support this not being aligned with who is responsible for what. Many who wanna fight for d1 are gonna fold as soon as it means opposing the admin. One told me accountability is overrated.

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2017, 03:47:31 AM »
92 SSU

The problem is there was never any fundraising done by this administration despite pleas from alumni begging for a fundraising plan/strategy.  The president repeatedly reiterated it wasn't her job nor the athletic directors to fundraise for athletics, you know this.

When the deficit started to rise, it's still not as high as many of our peers in the MEAC, we went to her asking what's the plan?  She or staff never came up with one.  She just kept saying "they, the systems office and chancellor, want us back in D II."

We just have a president, who didn't want to put in the work. 

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2017, 07:49:38 AM »
When Atlanta University was having problems around 1990, I remember radio and TV personality Allen 'Alley Pat' Patrick say that a president must be a professional beggar.  They must raise money for the school.  Eventually, the school merged with Clark College to become Clark Atlanta University.

If a school's president is not working hard to raise money for the school, then that is a huge problem.  While I am an outsider when it comes to the Georgia HBCUs, I have generations of family members who have graduated from at least four schools in the state.  I have heard a conversation or two including ones about the lawsuits in "integrating" the public HBCUs by in the late '80s and early '90s.  (Look at the articles on those suits.)  Attacks on the HBCUs are not new, an obvious statement.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2017, 07:58:21 AM »
The president repeatedly reiterated it wasn't her job nor the athletic directors to fundraise for athletics, you know this.

WTH?? Yea, you guys are better than us. You better not come to Fort Valley State with that BS about that's not your job to fundraise especially in athletics. Ask our last AD and see where he's at. This current one is going to learn too. The university isn't paying you to just manage athletics. You are there to fundraise as well and it doesn't mean looking for a hand-out from alumni. You will get cursed out if you run into the wrong alumni. Yea, your president has lost her darn mind with that statement. That was a red flag if I ever saw one.

that's all...   :no:

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News