News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Alumni ready to fight for SSU to stay in Division I  (Read 8268 times)

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Alumni ready to fight for SSU to stay in Division I
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2017, 09:48:53 PM »

You are absolutely correct.  What wasn't mentioned that is apart of the Walker plan was that we are going to solicit between 600-1000 alums to give 1K, specifically are alumni life members.  

Right now the biggest problem at SSU is having a President that would endorse a drive to save athletics financially.  They summoned her to the Board of Regents System's office right before contract renewals (this month) and gave her an ultimatum that she move us back to Division II or else she would unemployed.  She is currently lying to alumni telling them it was her decision, trying to shield the system's office and save her job, because this is just her nature.  I can't blame her need for self survival.  But it is no coincidence the timing of it all.  She has travelled her hearts content not really being on campus creating strategic plans academically or athletically for our survival.  When the issue of Skidaway Institute came up, in reference to which institution should be at the helm of the Island marine institute, not only did she not lobby but discouraged alumni from lobbying - almost begging us not to fight for it.  She has not introduced a single viable academic program to campus since her arrival nearly seven years ago, and she is insistent on not building anymore student housing, despite we have a demand for it.  She can't keep an academic affairs officer, and in seven years she has not generated a strategic plan.  This is a joke.  If SSU fails it is the fault of the apathetic alumni. 

In short, any plan would be successful if the president and leadership was behind it. 

The BOR definitely has an ulterior master plan.....the Regemts are putting the pieces  in place.

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline EB

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2017, 09:49:18 PM »
Wow Conquero, that is some deep stuff.  I know you can do it, but without proper leadership, it will not be done.  

That is indeed deep.  I think that Savannah State can survive and thrive, but the school needs a vision, teamwork, and proper leadership.  My thoughts are not based on plain and simple optimism.

I will say this.  Savannah was rated as Georgia's favorite city.  It could be a recruiting tool, or at least I can think of ways how it can.

Also, I keep bringing up the suits that the three Georgia state HBCUs faced (link).  I will say this for now.  The plaintiffs lost and HBCUs won that battle.  If our schools sit on their behinds, the plaintiffs will win and HBCUs will eventually lose the war.

Offline 92 SSU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2017, 05:05:53 AM »

You are absolutely correct.  What wasn't mentioned that is apart of the Walker plan was that we are going to solicit between 600-1000 alums to give 1K, specifically are alumni life members.  

Right now the biggest problem at SSU is having a President that would endorse a drive to save athletics financially.  They summoned her to the Board of Regents System's office right before contract renewals (this month) and gave her an ultimatum that she move us back to Division II or else she would unemployed.  She is currently lying to alumni telling them it was her decision, trying to shield the system's office and save her job, because this is just her nature.  I can't blame her need for self survival.  But it is no coincidence the timing of it all.  She has travelled her hearts content not really being on campus creating strategic plans academically or athletically for our survival.  When the issue of Skidaway Institute came up, in reference to which institution should be at the helm of the Island marine institute, not only did she not lobby but discouraged alumni from lobbying - almost begging us not to fight for it.  She has not introduced a single viable academic program to campus since her arrival nearly seven years ago, and she is insistent on not building anymore student housing, despite we have a demand for it.  She can't keep an academic affairs officer, and in seven years she has not generated a strategic plan.  This is a joke.  If SSU fails it is the fault of the apathetic alumni. 

In short, any plan would be successful if the president and leadership was behind it. 

The BOR definitely has an ulterior master plan.....the Regemts are putting the pieces  in place.

SSU folks have been warned about this early on with this particular administration and it has fallen on death ears. Let's just say the current pres is good at making a certain group of people seem special. This is what they value. SMH

At least in the case of FV it appears your leader was chosen for you without proper input. It's crunch time and the SSU folks have to face the truth that part of their current issue is self inflicted. When she was appointed as interim she looked at the situation she was being handed and said any pres should have no issue getting unprecedented enrollment to 5,000...even over 6,000. But she said I can't be pres because of the regents rule against appointing interims as permanent. But you guys can lobby and convince them. So she cut ribbons on projects, made the sweetest batch of cool aid she could and went on a national traveling tour to convince alum she should be pres. So, they obliged right as the regents was prepping to do an open national search.

So the regents were shocked SSU wanted her but apparently found a perfect way to use her. Now, it will be extremely difficult to pressure them to deal with her because many key people have praised her every incompetent move for 6 years. That is the truth to deal with.

Until something changes in the dysfunctional culture with how SSU alumni think they should relate to presidents and what good leadership looks like not much will change. This attitude ultimately speeds up the demise of your institution. To be honest the student body has proven to be sharper than the alumni in regards to opposing incompetence.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2017, 06:57:34 AM »

SSU folks have been warned about this early on with this particular administration and it has fallen on death ears. Let's just say the current pres is good at making a certain group of people seem special. This is what they value. SMH

At least in the case of FV it appears your leader was chosen for you without proper input. It's crunch time and the SSU folks have to face the truth that part of their current issue is self inflicted. When she was appointed as interim she looked at the situation she was being handed and said any pres should have no issue getting unprecedented enrollment to 5,000...even over 6,000. But she said I can't be pres because of the regents rule against appointing interims as permanent. But you guys can lobby and convince them. So she cut ribbons on projects, made the sweetest batch of cool aid she could and went on a national traveling tour to convince alum she should be pres. So, they obliged right as the regents was prepping to do an open national search.

So the regents were shocked SSU wanted her but apparently found a perfect way to use her. Now, it will be extremely difficult to pressure them to deal with her because many key people have praised her every incompetent move for 6 years. That is the truth to deal with.

Until something changes in the dysfunctional culture with how SSU alumni think they should relate to presidents and what good leadership looks like not much will change. This attitude ultimately speeds up the demise of your institution. To be honest the student body has proven to be sharper than the alumni in regards to opposing incompetence.

You guys can get rid of her if she's that bad.  If you lobbied to get her.  You can lobby to get rid of her.  It won't be easy.  It can be done. 
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2017, 07:13:29 AM »
92 SSU historical synopsis is factual.  The chancellor at the time flew to Savannah twice and asked alumni if they were sure about wanting this woman to be President.  He stated he had respect for SSU alumni and stated jokingly that we were hard on Presidents and he didn't want to do anything we didn't want.  A private group of influential alumni held a private meeting with the Chancellor unbeknownst to many of us singing her praises because she constantly hugged, kissed, and praised them.

The problem is with a background in social work she never had the proper training and/or wherewithal to be a university president.  And as described by 92 SSU she cut ribbons from facilities acquired from previous administrations and after that she had nothing to do but travel to Africa three to four times annually it seemed.  But creating no strategic plan for the university, only discouraging fights that would lead to progres, vying to protect her bosses in Atlanta.  

The SSU executive board voted not to endorse her, but that an appointment or search committee to produce the best and the brightest would be the course of action.  We knew that once she failed they would turn it back on us if we endorsed her.  A letter was generated to that effect but we later found out was never sent by the then national president who was apart of that secret meeting.  And thus we have an incompetent woman at the helm of leadership, who despite inheriting a thriving institution doesn't have the skill set to capitalize on it.  We kinda have ourselves to blame, even those who sat silently.  But the Bucks stop with systems office in the board of regents.  It is their job to ensure that presidents are strategically planning at institutions.  Obviously they appreciate her docile leadership.

In the past three years she alone has out travelled domestically and internationally both the presidents at UGA, GA Tech and the Chancellor of the entire system combined.  Her tab annually for travel alone is nearly $80k.  She has nothing to show for it.

Any plan would take a resilient effort especially given the ineptness in leadership.

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2017, 07:14:18 AM »
Y,

She's that bad.

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2017, 08:23:00 AM »
Things maybe heating up on the marsh

Student Protest Today:
Addressing the possibility of Athletic's Division II transition, Spring Commencement, & Band Scholarship Disbursements #SSU come out ‼️

Link to Student Protest Flier:

file:///var/folders/w3/hdl7t0cd2kd6w8xyp_7gp44h0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_1336.jpg
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:25:23 AM by Conquero »

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2017, 08:43:11 AM »
Correct '92 SSU! Our university president was chosen, as Albany State's. Dr. Jones has his flaws and we are still keeping a watchful eye on him, but overall he is strategically moving our university forward and providing a foundation for enrollment growth. He's putting his people in place, in which, I forewarned the previous administration to do and chose not to. And now, he sees what happened. There isn't anyone from any of the previous administrations and I like the new people so far. He knows that the alumni are very privy of any mergers and the talks, thereof, and he addresses it to ad nauseam. He gets annoyed by it, but he knows that that's something he is going to hear a lot from alumni and we are not here to play with him on the further dismantling of our alma mater. Either he's going to be with us or he's not. Dr. Jones is a straight shooter and he has been with the BOARD OF REGIME when they placed him there. We support him until he does something stupid and then all bets are off.

In the case of Dozier, I never understood the Savannah State Alumni being onboard with making her permanent especially her coming from the BOARD OF REGIME. I remember when it was announced and I thought to myself that this is going to be bad because this was the start of the merger talks. Anyone appointed president from them would further the BOARD's agenda and would not be in the best interest of the Marsh Cats.

:offtopic:
Was this campaign implemented and how has this increase awareness of the university? Have you guys received a good ROI?
SSU Launches $875K Marketing Campaign
http://www.tigersroar.com/news/article_d49e8746-5d7f-11e5-b333-533ecdd7eec9.html

that's all...    :tiptoe:
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 08:50:25 AM by thatd@mnYOGI »

Offline bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2017, 11:08:58 AM »
Things maybe heating up on the marsh

Student Protest Today:
Addressing the possibility of Athletic's Division II transition, Spring Commencement, & Band Scholarship Disbursements #SSU come out ‼️

Link to Student Protest Flier:

file:///var/folders/w3/hdl7t0cd2kd6w8xyp_7gp44h0000gn/T/com.apple.iChat/Messages/Transfers/IMG_1336.jpg

Maybe it's just me but I can't see anything.

Offline 92 SSU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »
Correct '92 SSU! Our university president was chosen, as Albany State's. Dr. Jones has his flaws and we are still keeping a watchful eye on him, but overall he is strategically moving our university forward and providing a foundation for enrollment growth. He's putting his people in place, in which, I forewarned the previous administration to do and chose not to. And now, he sees what happened. There isn't anyone from any of the previous administrations and I like the new people so far. He knows that the alumni are very privy of any mergers and the talks, thereof, and he addresses it to ad nauseam. He gets annoyed by it, but he knows that that's something he is going to hear a lot from alumni and we are not here to play with him on the further dismantling of our alma mater. Either he's going to be with us or he's not. Dr. Jones is a straight shooter and he has been with the BOARD OF REGIME when they placed him there. We support him until he does something stupid and then all bets are off.

In the case of Dozier, I never understood the Savannah State Alumni being onboard with making her permanent especially her coming from the BOARD OF REGIME. I remember when it was announced and I thought to myself that this is going to be bad because this was the start of the merger talks. Anyone appointed president from them would further the BOARD's agenda and would not be in the best interest of the Marsh Cats.

:offtopic:
Was this campaign implemented and how has this increase awareness of the university? Have you guys received a good ROI?
SSU Launches $875K Marketing Campaign
http://www.tigersroar.com/news/article_d49e8746-5d7f-11e5-b333-533ecdd7eec9.html

that's all...    :tiptoe:

First to answer the off topic....Some beautiful videos were created but to my current knowledge were only shown locally. A hefty price for something your mass comm Dept has demonstrated it can do in house.

At least your alum are awake and get it. I know there are still issues but at least they have let their opinion be known. The SSU social worker president has tamed a huge segment of ours. This group gets offended if you even ask the merger question. They don't want accountability.

I was talking to one about the excessive travel. He said she was friend raising and people should stop nit picking. I said when is friend raising gonna turn into FUNDRAISING? After nearly seven years and she still isn't bringing home checks? Many people did not find out how she was being hired back door until it was too late.

In her first few years enrollment grew by nearly 18% yet she has not used that as a platform to drive academic program expansion beyond a general studies degree. In the face of the merger alum should be very concerned her hand picked vp for academic affairs has not lasted a year. She did not like any of the better qualified candidates that actually created new programs. Despite the positive things about SSU she is not using them to draft a plan to expand SSU. She is literally babysitting and waiting to be told what to do with SSU.

Somewhat related but off topic is spring enrollment decline as it does affect budget. The report is out and SSU is down nearly 6%, FV nearly 1%, Albany is down 17% and Darton is down 24%. It's hard to sell what Albany will gain from the merger at this pace?

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2017, 04:58:45 PM »

First to answer the off topic....Some beautiful videos were created but to my current knowledge were only shown locally. A hefty price for something your mass comm Dept has demonstrated it can do in house.

At least your alum are awake and get it. I know there are still issues but at least they have let their opinion be known. The SSU social worker president has tamed a huge segment of ours. This group gets offended if you even ask the merger question. They don't want accountability.

I was talking to one about the excessive travel. He said she was friend raising and people should stop nit picking. I said when is friend raising gonna turn into FUNDRAISING? After nearly seven years and she still isn't bringing home checks? Many people did not find out how she was being hired back door until it was too late.

In her first few years enrollment grew by nearly 18% yet she has not used that as a platform to drive academic program expansion beyond a general studies degree. In the face of the merger alum should be very concerned her hand picked vp for academic affairs has not lasted a year. She did not like any of the better qualified candidates that actually created new programs. Despite the positive things about SSU she is not using them to draft a plan to expand SSU. She is literally babysitting and waiting to be told what to do with SSU.

Somewhat related but off topic is spring enrollment decline as it does affect budget. The report is out and SSU is down nearly 6%, FV nearly 1%, Albany is down 17% and Darton is down 24%. It's hard to sell what Albany will gain from the merger at this pace?

::)   As you know, these people do NOT like being called out on their BS.   :tongue2:
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2017, 08:25:11 PM »

LOCAL?? WTH??

that's all...   ???

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2017, 08:29:19 PM »
Yogi,

no ROI.  It was a waste.  That nearly $1million dollars could have gone towards the athletic deficit.  No student buy in, no faculty buy in , and no alumni buy in.  Dozier is complete joke. 

The comments are very telling. 

University President Dr. Cheryl Dozier has become a cheerleader for the new campaign and motto, using it at faculty meetings, student lectures and other speaking engagements on and off campus.
However, many students aren’t feeling it. Keishawndra Banks, a 23-year-old senior said, “I strongly dislike this whole “seriously impressive” slogan. I think students should have been able to vote and being that we were not able to the decision took our voice as students.”
“I’d prefer that you can get anywhere from here. It made more sense it was more compatible with the students today but I guess smart, bold, seriously impressive that’s okay too but I don’t know I just have a place in my heart for you can get anywhere from here,” Jimmy Swan, a 23-year-old senior said.
 “In all honestly I like that you can get anywhere from here because it is if you’re at Savannah State you can become a great person, you can become a doctor in your study, you can become a master in your field if you need to you can transfer to another college [and still] get anywhere from here,” Jeremy Little, a 23- year- old junior said. “But when they changed it to   bold, proud, intelligent and seriously impressive I was like okay what has the school done that is seriously impressive?”   

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2017, 08:32:14 PM »
92 SSU is right she inherited an institution with promising growth, now that growth is dwindling.  She is baby sitting and traveling.

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2017, 08:47:48 PM »
Yes, I read the comments Conquero by the students, who are ultimately your salespeople. If they don't or can't relate to what you are selling, how do expect any future students to do so. The marketing campaign should have had a full buy in by the administration, student and alumni to have confidence and promoting what you are selling. Locally isn't going to cut with that much money you are spending on putting it together. I know there had to be a marketing plan with targeted demographics and positioning. The administration can't be accepting of it being utilize for local. Yes, that money could have gone to athletics and the marketing plan could have waited until that is stabilized. But, that's just my opinion.

that's all...

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News