News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Time For DI HBCU's to Consider D2?  (Read 6395 times)

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Time For DI HBCU's to Consider D2?
« on: March 19, 2017, 07:41:28 PM »
I know MEAC folks are tired of my one man crusade but it's time for us to face reality. We do not belong at the DI level!!! We don't have the resources to compete, we are constantly mired in APR issues and we are often on the wrong end of lopsided losses.

Outside of bowling and occasionally track we are pretty much the bottom feeders of every sport. Let's take a look at my beloved MEAC revenue sports:

Football

Record vs FCS OOC completion 0 - 12

Lowest rated FCS scholarship conference

Basketball

Record vs. DI OOC competition  17 - 137 

Games lost by 20 or more points = 51

Lowest rated DI basketball conference

Most of our out of conference wins now come against D2 competition so why not move to D2? The exposure can't be worth the continued humiliation?

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Time For DI HBCU's to Consider D2?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2017, 09:04:16 PM »
 :-X :popcorn:

that's all...

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
    • Jackson State University
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2017, 09:26:07 PM »
I totally agree and have been saying this for a while.

Hell, the MEAC schools have a better situation since they're so close to the CIAA and SIAC schools. I think everyone from Delaware to NC should move back to the CIAA and everyone from SC to Florida should move back to the SIAC.

Attendance would greatly increase for football and basketball, you'll have more success and you'll save money.

Offline punchy

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2017, 09:51:18 PM »

Hell, the MEAC schools have a better situation since they're so close to the CIAA and SIAC schools. I think everyone from Delaware to NC should move back to the CIAA and everyone from SC to Florida should move back to the SIAC.

Attendance would greatly increase for football and basketball, you'll have more success and you'll save money.

What's the CIAA and SIAC's OOC record for football and basketball? Who's to say the powers that be won't cut the MEAC's and SWAC's athletic budgets even further if they both moved to the CIAA and SIAC?
Failing to plan is planning to fail.

Offline SkegeeFAMU

• Assistant GM
  • Trustee Chairman
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youniquegreekpara.com
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2017, 10:13:12 PM »
I'm kinda with Punchy on this one in that our failures in athletics isn't so much a divisional issue as it is a general institutional issue. The OOC and playoff performance of the D-2 HBCU's is only marginally better than it is for the FCS HBCU's. Our schools are just grossly underfunded athletically across the board, regardless of classification. Our FCS programs are way behind the 8 ball as compared to their PWC counterparts. Same is true for our D-2 institutions. Having officiated on both the FCS and FBS levels of football has really opened my eyes to the disparities between PWC's and HBCU's of all levels.

It's hard to fund a top notch athletics program when the institution itself is struggling for survival!!
Tuskegee University- Continuing the Relentless Pursuit of Excellence!!

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2017, 10:25:54 PM »
With the upcoming finical challenges our schools face, this may be the best option available.  No need to merge the conferences, just drop down.  If not as a group, then as individual programs.  The overall survival of our institutions is way more important than trying to be big time. 

HOWEVER, this kind of conversation will not be held at either of these conferences main offices.

The egos and pride will not allow this to be discussed rationally and practically.

So it will be what it will be.
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2017, 10:28:38 PM »

What's the CIAA and SIAC's OOC record for football and basketball? Who's to say the powers that be won't cut the MEAC's and SWAC's athletic budgets even further if they both moved to the CIAA and SIAC?

It just seems that revenue would increase by playing more regional, historical rivals.

We can't continue to do business as usual in this ever changing environment of college athletics.

Offline Jaimac

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2017, 11:28:26 PM »
Hmmm....
Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
~Martin Luther King, Jr.~

Offline WileECoyote06

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2017, 11:36:24 PM »

It just seems that revenue would increase by playing more regional, historical rivals.

We can't continue to do business as usual in this ever changing environment of college athletics.

I'm not sure of that.  

However, I don't have an issue with being reclassified to Division II.  As long as NCCU is classified with like-minded, and institutions with similar profiles I'm okay with it.  Ie, merging with the CIAA won't solve anything.  

Offline eagle pride

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2017, 11:39:31 PM »
If we have to, but I like being div. 1 better. 
Whether great or small, victory is victory!

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2017, 11:53:31 PM »
I'm kinda with Punchy on this one in that our failures in athletics isn't so much a divisional issue as it is a general institutional issue. The OOC and playoff performance of the D-2 HBCU's is only marginally better than it is for the FCS HBCU's. Our schools are just grossly underfunded athletically across the board, regardless of classification. Our FCS programs are way behind the 8 ball as compared to their PWC counterparts. Same is true for our D-2 institutions. Having officiated on both the FCS and FBS levels of football has really opened my eyes to the disparities between PWC's and HBCU's of all levels.

It's hard to fund a top notch athletics program when the institution itself is struggling for survival!!

The D1 schools would not be under funded if they had a staff of people to raise money.  The overwhelming majority of our D1 schools are not located in the sticks.  There are plenty of opportunities to raise money.  You can't raise enough money with just one person.  Too many of our D1 schools have someone raising money part time.  It makes no sense.  

NCCU cut back on staffing to save money.  They cut the fund raiser position.   :brickwall:  They should have expanded the fund raising department.  The more people raising money the more money you raise.  For football they sell ESLs for football.  That's a good thing.  The bad thing is the ESL is good for three years.  It should be for one year.  

punchy, the CIAA was 7-16 in OOC against D2 schools in football if I didn't miss any games.

Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline DRUMMA1

• Assistant GM
  • #THEEiLove
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2017, 12:24:27 AM »

I'm not sure of that. 

However, I don't have an issue with being reclassified to Division II.  As long as NCCU is classified with like-minded, and institutions with similar profiles I'm okay with it.  Ie, merging with the CIAA won't solve anything. 

Agreed.

I just think VSU, JCSU, Fayetteville and WSSU would draw way better in Durham than FAMU, Morgan and Delaware State.

Hell, the basketball games would be all the way live, too; especially with the cheerleaders. :lol:

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2017, 01:36:06 AM »
Hey Decks!!!

Are you ohslax61 on another HBCU Message Board??? :lmao:

https://www.hbcusports.com/forums/threads/why-not-d2-for-hbcus.129300/page-2

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 04:22:19 AM »
Decks,

I'm sending the air ambulance for you 'cause these jokers are going to assault you... :laugh:

Teeny and Little

Offline Decks

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2017, 06:52:14 AM »
Hey Decks!!!

Are you ohslax61 on another HBCU Message Board??? :lmao:

https://www.hbcusports.com/forums/threads/why-not-d2-for-hbcus.129300/page-2

Nope, but I might join in the discussion.

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News