News: In case some of you have forgotten, please go back and read the agreement you signed before registering on this board.   Continuous attacks on an individual, including revealing who you think a person is or sending Private Messages with threats and attacks, are grounds for removal from the registration listing.  If you can't be civil, go someplace else. Don't discredit your education by showing your "thug" personality.

Author Topic: Onnidan what are your thoughts on spanking?  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Onnidan what are your thoughts on spanking?
« on: March 17, 2017, 12:09:15 PM »
Seems that many  black millennials think this a a barbaric practice with roots is slavery, or worse.

http://thegrio.com/2009/11/18/precious-the-new-movie-by/
http://cappuccinoqueen.com/?p=948

Is this an old school practice that needs to be placed in the past?

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • #TigerPride Grrrr!
    • View Profile
Re: Onnidan what are your thoughts on spanking?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2017, 12:13:15 PM »
Oh, you mean kids...

:tiptoe:

;D

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2017, 12:24:46 PM »
Oh, you mean kids...

;D

Both have their place.   :tiptoe:
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2017, 12:33:11 PM »
I often wonder if spanking is due to a learned behavior or is it truly due to a child doing something bad. Perhaps both?

Offline ALMIGHTY

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2017, 12:34:04 PM »
Proverbs 13:24

"Whoever spares the rod hates their children, but the one who loves their children is careful to discipline them."

IMO, when used as a tool of deterrent and discipline, spanking a child is perfectly fine.
South Carolina State University

Offline 90Aggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2017, 12:37:47 PM »
JT, you wild! :lmao:

Offline Capler

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2017, 12:58:29 PM »
I don't really see how spankings are very effective. Most bad adults got the hell beat out them when they were kids. I have some cousin who were spanked-beatened, and they grew up to become little outlaws. My well grounded friends did not go through this. My parents only had to do it once or twice to the older ones, and the rest of got the message.

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2017, 01:05:10 PM »
Agree with Almighty...

Teeny and Little

Offline scstatealum

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • SCSU Doghouse Message Board
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2017, 01:33:57 PM »
my thoughts?  do it as often as necessary.....

For more on SCSU, join us @ http://scstatedoghouse.proboards.com/

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2017, 01:41:30 PM »
I don't really see how spankings are very effective. Most bad adults got the hell beat out them when they were kids. I have some cousin who were spanked-beatened, and they grew up to become little outlaws. My well grounded friends did not go through this. My parents only had to do it once or twice to the older ones, and the rest of got the message.

there is a difference between abuse and non-abuse.  Some kids need their little hides "tanned" every now and again.  Some don't because they aren't hell bent on "trying" their parents like I know you probably did.  I'm sure your parents would beat you now with some of the things you have alluded to on this site.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2017, 02:21:33 PM »
See nothing wrong with it, but it can't be the only tool in your parental arsenal. 

If all you do is beat the child, it becomes less effective and they become immune to it. My parents used more than one form of discipline - taking away priveleges, extra chores etc.  But they would light your @zz up if need be. 

"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Dog in Me

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2017, 02:23:20 PM »
First of all the aforementioned “rod” is not the rod of a stick to beat your child with, it is the rod as in “thy rod and thy staff comfort me,” the familiar refrain from the 23rd Psalm. In other places, particularly throughout all of Psalms, the rod is referred to as strength as in, “the Lord is my rod and fortress,” as mentioned in Psalm 18:2 and 31:3. Or “He is my rod and my salvation,” in Psalm 61:2 and 62:6. Throughout Genesis in particular we get references to the rod as a sceptre or staff that is carried by royalty, Pharaohs, and enlightened spiritual beings like Moses or Gods like Zeus.

Perhaps most significant is the staff of Moses, actually called a rod in the King James Version of the Bible. This rod was used to perform miracles of profound spiritual significance. This Moses’ rod or staff was used to produce water from a rock, transformed into a snake to swallow an enemy snake, and ultimately used to part the Red Sea. Moses was seen carrying this rod in all significant and important matters of spiritual accomplishments and rituals.

In other words throughout scripture the rod was symbolic and representative of strength, power and spiritual transformation. So the real meaning of “spare the rod and spoil the child,” is that if you spare the rod of spiritual knowledge, insight and transformation to your child, they’ll be spoiled rotten.” In other words, without spiritual knowledge your children will be worthless. They need spiritual knowledge and insight in order to be the very best that they can be. Without this “rod” of strength, insight and spiritual awareness they’ll be lost in the world and of no good to anyone.

In other words, nowhere in the Bible does it actually say, “get a rod and beat your kid or they’ll be spoiled.” It’s not literally talking about a physical rod, stick, bat, tree branch, golf club or any other hard physical instrument with which to beat your kid. This is al the speculation and interpretation of minds that know no better and are looking for ways to justify their lack of alternative ways of raising children without beating them. Most of this thinking and actions are based on the way in which they were raised.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theprinciplesofspiritualliving/2014/11/the-truth-about-spare-the-rod-and-spoil-the-child/

Though I was raised by grandparents in the 50's, 60's they did not beat or spank. I have 4 adult children and I did not spank them and they are all doing well.

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2017, 02:28:08 PM »
Thank you Dog in Me.
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Maroon and Gray

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2017, 02:30:33 PM »
First of all the aforementioned “rod” is not the rod of a stick to beat your child with, it is the rod as in “thy rod and thy staff comfort me,” the familiar refrain from the 23rd Psalm. In other places, particularly throughout all of Psalms, the rod is referred to as strength as in, “the Lord is my rod and fortress,” as mentioned in Psalm 18:2 and 31:3. Or “He is my rod and my salvation,” in Psalm 61:2 and 62:6. Throughout Genesis in particular we get references to the rod as a sceptre or staff that is carried by royalty, Pharaohs, and enlightened spiritual beings like Moses or Gods like Zeus.

Perhaps most significant is the staff of Moses, actually called a rod in the King James Version of the Bible. This rod was used to perform miracles of profound spiritual significance. This Moses’ rod or staff was used to produce water from a rock, transformed into a snake to swallow an enemy snake, and ultimately used to part the Red Sea. Moses was seen carrying this rod in all significant and important matters of spiritual accomplishments and rituals.

In other words throughout scripture the rod was symbolic and representative of strength, power and spiritual transformation. So the real meaning of “spare the rod and spoil the child,” is that if you spare the rod of spiritual knowledge, insight and transformation to your child, they’ll be spoiled rotten.” In other words, without spiritual knowledge your children will be worthless. They need spiritual knowledge and insight in order to be the very best that they can be. Without this “rod” of strength, insight and spiritual awareness they’ll be lost in the world and of no good to anyone.

In other words, nowhere in the Bible does it actually say, “get a rod and beat your kid or they’ll be spoiled.” It’s not literally talking about a physical rod, stick, bat, tree branch, golf club or any other hard physical instrument with which to beat your kid. This is al the speculation and interpretation of minds that know no better and are looking for ways to justify their lack of alternative ways of raising children without beating them. Most of this thinking and actions are based on the way in which they were raised.

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/theprinciplesofspiritualliving/2014/11/the-truth-about-spare-the-rod-and-spoil-the-child/

Though I was raised by grandparents in the 50's, 60's they did not beat or spank. I have 4 adult children and I did not spank them and they are all doing well.

NOW, you come along with a good argument.  Where were you when I needed you when my hide was being tanned?   :lol:

Jokes aside, that is compelling.
Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
― Isaac Asimov

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 02:34:39 PM »
I also think you have to know your child. 

My parents didn't have to spank me as much because I responded to words - you fuss at me wrong and I would cry - hated for my parents to be upset with me.

My sister responded more to the taking away of privileges.   

My brother?   He was bad as hell.   Whipping his behind got his attention more than anything else.

Even with that, they switched it up with the 3 of us.  He didn't get beat all the time, and sometimes my sister and I felt that belt or switch.   
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule