News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Armstrong State To Cease Athletic Competition Following 2016-17 Season  (Read 656 times)

Offline wsm

• Assistant GM
  • Head Coach
    • View Profile
Armstrong State Athletics To Cease Intercollegiate Competition Following 2016-17

Mar 07, 2017

SAVANNAH, Ga. (March 7, 2017) - Today, the Armstrong State University/Georgia Southern University Athletics Operational Working Group announced that it will recommend to the Consolidation Implementation Committee (CIC) that intercollegiate competition end at Armstrong State University following the current 2016-17 athletic year.

Several factors have led to the recommendation; most important, the health and safety of student athletes. Due to changes in athletics rosters that have already occurred, most sports will no longer have enough student-athletes to adequately support a full season, placing remaining student athletes in potentially harmful playing situations.

"This was a very difficult decision, but it is in the best interest of our student-athletes," said Lisa Sweany, Armstrong's athletic director. "This decision is being made now so that student-athletes and staff can focus on their future and what is in their best interest. I'm very proud of what our student-athletes, coaches and administrators have accomplished during my time at Armstrong."

Women's soccer, women's volleyball, men's and women's cross country and men's and women's basketball have completed their championship segments and will not participate in further intercollegiate competition. Baseball, softball, men's and women's tennis and men's and women's golf are currently in season and will each finish their 2017 spring semester of competition.

By discontinuing Armstrong's athletics programs at the conclusion of the 2016-17 athletic year, any student-athlete who elects to transfer at the end of the Spring 2017 semester can apply the dropped sport exception, which allows them to compete immediately, without sitting a year in residency.

As decided by the Consolidation Implementation Committee on March 3, all athletics-related scholarships for affected student athletes will be honored, provided students are making satisfactory academic progress. This plan will allow student-athletes who are affected by the consolidation to continue their education without bearing an additional financial burden.

The Athletics Operational Working Group is working on the recommended structure of the new Georgia Southern University Athletic Department. Armstrong coaches and administrators will continue to have roles through December 2017.

"All of our student athletes, coaches and athletics staff are valued members of our Armstrong family," said Armstrong President Linda M. Bleicken. "We are working with them to create outcomes that are as positive as possible."

Pending approval of the recommendation by the CIC to end Armstrong athletics, the current 2016-17 season will culminate 50 years of Pirate athletics.

Armstrong State University has earned a reputation as one of the premier NCAA Division II departments in the nation. Over the past five decades, Pirate athletics teams have earned 13 national championships, 96 Peach Belt Conference championships, 139 NCAA Championships appearances and 296 All-Americans.

On Jan. 11, 2017, the Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia voted to consolidate Armstrong State University and Georgia Southern University, ultimately creating a new Georgia Southern University with three campus locations in Savannah, Hinesville and Statesboro. Consolidation Implementation Committee members, Functional Area co-chairs and Operational Working Groups uniting Armstrong and Georgia Southern faculty and staff are currently examining and working through all aspects of the consolidation.

For updates regarding the consolidation between Georgia Southern University and Armstrong State University, please visit consolidation.georgiasouthern.edu.

http://armstrongpirates.com/general/2016-17/releases/20170307d13m04

Offline DAW912

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
*Dueces*
We Live In An Era Of Smart Phones And Stupid People.

Offline EL JAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.valiant-gs.com
Well...hopefully SSU can scoop up a lot of those athletes.  Especially in those non-revenue generating sports.
Heeeeeeey Tuskegee......

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
I doubt that EL Jay. If anything, those kids will go to another Division II school if they are not able to cut the mustard on Division I level. Also, they would rather go to Georgia Southern or go with the merger. Savannah State may get a couple but not many. Sad really.

that's all...

Offline A&T AGGIE 96

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
*Dueces*

I'm sure this has been discussed, but if this school is being merged, why not merge it with SSU...in the same manor ASU was merged.

Just doesn't make since to me to merge the school with GSU.

I don't know anything about Georgia college politics.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • Don't be fooled!
    • View Profile
Sounds like some of the Armstrong folks are blaming GaSouthern for the merger.  I guess if the school had merged with SSU, they would be downright hysterical and SUPER mad. But when it is your school, can you really blame them?

Offline thatd@mnYOGI

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
A&T AGGIE 96, this merger or consolidation they like to call it was introduced years ago with no schools notified prior to who was going to merge where to lower the tax-payers dollars on state run schools. The mergers have been confusing at best with merging schools that makes no sense in locations nor missions. But that's what happens when you have people on a board that has no educational background. It's all politics.

that's all...

Offline DAW912

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
*Dueces*

I'm sure this has been discussed, but if this school is being merged, why not merge it with SSU...in the same manor ASU was merged.

Just doesn't make since to me to merge the school with GSU.

I don't know anything about Georgia college politics.
The BOR has been trying to merge SSU and Armstrong for decades.  It never was going to happen.  SSU would've lost its HBCU status if such a merger took place. This merger hurts SSU just the same.  
We Live In An Era Of Smart Phones And Stupid People.

Offline Conquero

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant Coach
    • View Profile
As a tidbit,

The original plan was to merge Armstrong into Savannah State, but one of the Board of Regents members Don Waters representing District (Savannah), and the Savannah business community, in particularly the chamber and rotary, vehemently opposed it.  So the compromise was for Armstrong to offer themselves up in sacrifice to Georgia Southern and leave Savannah State alone, which could result in a death sentence for Savannah State, especially absent a plan for sustainability from SSU's administration.  

Savannah's different from Albany, international city, international port, port is being expanded, billions of dollars spent to expand the port, anticipated business and commerce growth, etc.  

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in.

=OW=

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News