News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Question for the board?  (Read 769 times)

Offline tusk91

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
Question for the board?
« on: February 17, 2017, 09:55:51 AM »
My best friends son plays high school football in Florida. He has been getting calls and offers to play at a few D3 and at least one D2 schools up north. His father a Tuskegee University alumni is interested in him attending and playing at Tuskegee, FAMU or another HBCU but, none have shown any interest.

The issue he believes is that the white coaches at the high school don't have any connections with any HBCU's or even any colleges in the south east.

Not talking scholarship because he has already been offered academic scholarships at both Tuskegee and FAMU. He is simply desiring a place on their roster, whereas at these D3 schools are offering partial athletic scholarships.

I think this is actually an issue with a few black student athletes, particularly those that don't play for high schools with black head coaches or athletic directors. They have no contacts or knowledge of many of the HBCU's that would love to recruit their players.

Is there any suggestions as to how he could reach out and get the attention at some of these HBCU's that maybe would also be interested in his some being on their roster?

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Question for the board?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 10:03:59 AM »
My best friends son plays high school football in Florida. He has been getting calls and offers to play at a few D3 and at least one D2 schools up north. His father a Tuskegee University alumni is interested in him attending and playing at Tuskegee, FAMU or another HBCU but, none have shown any interest.

The issue he believes is that the white coaches at the high school don't have any connections with any HBCU's or even any colleges in the south east.

Not talking scholarship because he has already been offered academic scholarships at both Tuskegee and FAMU. He is simply desiring a place on their roster, whereas at these D3 schools are offering partial athletic scholarships.

I think this is actually an issue with a few black student athletes, particularly those that don't play for high schools with black head coaches or athletic directors. They have no contacts or knowledge of many of the HBCU's that would love to recruit their players.

Is there any suggestions as to how he could reach out and get the attention at some of these HBCU's that maybe would also be interested in his some being on their roster?

Him and his father probably would have to do a little leg work themselves.  A lot of kids these days are making video clips of themselves and sending them to different schools.  I agree, a lot of our kids are disconnected from HBCUs due to their coach's lack of knowledge of HBCUs.  It shouldn't be that hard to obtain a kid's stats, since schools are required to maintain records on all of their players.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:19:09 AM by JAG89 »

Offline Golden Kitten

• Assistant GM
  • Student Advokitty/Fashion Police
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 10:04:58 AM »

Check your PM...

Teeny and Little

Offline Professor

• Assistant GM
  • Our time is coming..................
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:09:17 AM »
He needs to get a HUDL account. They can upload video and stats and they are searchable by coaches nationwide

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:12:35 AM »
Choose a HBCU that has the academic program that he is interested in and try to walk-on.  Most football programs have online questionnaires that he can complete.

Offline tusk91

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:27:16 AM »

Him and his father probably would have to do a little leg work themselves.  A lot of kids these days are making video clips of themselves and sending them to different schools.  I agree, a lot of our kids are disconnected from HBCUs due to their coach's lack of knowledge of HBCUs.  It shouldn't be that hard to obtain a kid's stats, since schools are required to maintain records on all of their players.

Yes he has sent his videos to Tuskegee and FAMU but, no nibbles.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:36:50 AM »

Then they might need to make a few follow-up calls or send a few to other HBCUs.  AAMU and a few other west of the State of Alabama have similar technical programs as Tuskegee and FAMU.  NCA&T is another one that comes to mind.  From what I understand, Morehouse has a dual degree program with Georgia Tech.  I would say, don't limit himself to one or two HBCUs.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 10:39:13 AM by JAG89 »

Offline tusk91

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 10:41:01 AM »

Offline tusk91

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 10:45:35 AM »

Then they might need to make a few follow-up calls or send a few to other HBCUs.  AAMU and a few other west of the State of Alabama have similar technical programs as Tuskegee and FAMU.  NCA&T is another one that comes to mind.  From what I understand, Morehouse has a dual degree program with Georgia Tech.  I would say, don't limit himself to one or two HBCUs.

His interest is Pre-Veterinary medicine and his plan is to attend Tuskegee University Veterinary Medicine after undergrad. Tuskegee, FAMU, Fort Valley State, Delaware State all have Pre-Vet programs but, he can obtain a professional Bio degree anywhere.

We just kind of figure he should and would be able to make the roster at a number of these schools if given a serious look before hand.

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 10:49:46 AM »
Here is his hudl profile:

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3459822/myles-riley

Coach Odums at Southern University might take a look at him.  Willie Quinn was from Miami, FL.  Southern has a lot kids coming in next season as walk-ons.   Prairie View is another HBCU that comes to mind.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 10:51:20 AM »
If he's going to study pre vet, there may not a ton of time for football. But best of luck to him in his future endeavors. Hoping he can study and play @ Skegee.
Golden Showers Loving potus Making AmeriKKKa Great Again!

Offline JAG89

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
If he's going to study pre vet, there may not a ton of time for football. But best of luck to him in his future endeavors. Hoping he can study and play @ Skegee.

Alcorn State has a Veterinary and Biomedical Science program, but there are many HBCUs with pre-med programs.  If he is good in his studies, he can manage his time accordingly.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 11:50:23 AM by JAG89 »

Offline tusk91

• Head Coach
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 11:15:00 AM »

Check your PM...

Thanks I responded back and included more information about him.

Offline LULions

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lulions.com
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:19:57 AM »
tusk91:

Be wary of D3 offering partial or any athletic scholarships.

Division III, the largest division in terms of number of schools and number of participants in the National Collegiate Athletic Association, is comprised of more than 190,000 student-athletes and represents 450 colleges and universities throughout the country. Division III is also the only division that does not award athletic scholarships; however, more than 75 percent of Division III student-athletes receive financial aid or have earned a merit scholarship for academic talent and accomplishment.

http://www.ncaa.org/division-iii-experience

Melvin B. Tolson - '24
Langston Hughes - '29
President Nnamdi Azikiwe - '30
Supreme Court Justice Thurgood Marshall - '30
President Kwame Nkrumah - '39

Advancing the Legacy of America‘s First Degree Granting HBCU: 1854

Offline JBROB

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 11:35:48 AM »
NC A&T State University

While pursuing the B.S. in Animal Science degree, students study domestic livestock, including sheep, cattle, goats, swine, horses and poultry. The curriculum includes a strong emphasis on biological and physical sciences, as well as animal health, nutrition, reproduction and management. 

Graduates are prepared for further studies leading to careers in veterinary or human medicine.

http://www.ncat.edu/caes/departments/ansc/undergrad/bs_animal_sci/index.html

==========

==========

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News