News: FYI:  We have three websites in our inventory: onnidan.com - news, recaps, blogs, black college sports page | onnidan1.com - this forum  | onnidan2.com - composite hbcu football schedule

Author Topic: HBCUs and the Georgia Dome...  (Read 2412 times)

Offline BIG GRAY

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: HBCUs and the Georgia Dome...
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2017, 03:15:39 AM »
NCCU vs GSU was the final HBCU game in the old Georgia Dome  :nod:
NCCU 2014, 2015 & 2016 Football MEAC CHAMPS

Offline y04185

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2017, 08:09:42 AM »
JAG89, it was the place those Ponies got drugged up and down the field by Albany State in the Pioneer Bowl. I will never forget that game.

that's all...   :lol:

Thanks to you I had nightmares last night. 

That damn school rented us.  Beat the hell out of us.  Ran us hard and put us up wet.  They didn't even give us grease and Texas Pete.

Are you happy now?!

Oh, the humanity!!!
Fayetteville State by choice. Bronco by the Grace of GOD.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • TigerPRIDE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2017, 09:23:04 AM »
some of my favorite hbcu games in the Dome:

The Atlanta Football Classic...
FAMU vs TSU, Southern vs SC State, TSU vs. Southern, TSU vs. SC State, Southern vs. FAMU.

The SuperShowDown Classic...
FAMU vs. Southern, FAMU vs. SC State

The Heritage Bowls
several matcups: Southern, Hampton, Howard, Bethune-Cookman

The Peach State Classic
That Jackson State/A&T game was FIYAH!!!

Labor Day Doubleheader Classic
CAU vs Hampton, Morris Brown vs. MissValleyState

Morehouse played CAU in the Dome....once

So many hbcu memories up in that mug...

On to the next thing y'all  ;)

"Yeah, I really am as stupid as I look!
I'm also a willing republican patsy."

Offline Cub 7

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2017, 10:30:12 AM »
Pioneer Bowl 2003 in the Dome.  Watched my Broncos of Fayetteville State get run off the field by Albany State but the highlight was a meeting of Onnidan posters!  Got to meet Golden Kitten and others.  It was good to put a face with names and just chat.

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
  • TigerPRIDE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »
Pioneer Bowl 2003 in the Dome.  Watched my Broncos of Fayetteville State get run off the field by Albany State but the highlight was a meeting of Onnidan posters!  Got to meet Golden Kitten and others.  It was good to put a face with names and just chat.

That was the game where I also got to meet GoldenKitten and Jaimac, Tank, for the 1st time, and I think that worrisome lil grizzly, MilesBear1, or maybe I met him at another game.

"Yeah, I really am as stupid as I look!
I'm also a willing republican patsy."

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2017, 12:42:57 PM »
I'll be glad when that hell hole is just another parking lot.

Do you ever stop trolling?
Nope
SIAC Champs FB 7, CC 7, MBB 9 BB 2, MTF 3, WBB 2,  SWAC Champs FB 2, MT 1 NCAA DII Nat Champs Men's Soccer '77 & '79, D2 Nat Champs Women's Indoor Track '92 Women's Outdoor Track '92 &'93. HBCU Nat FB Champs 1, Swimming and Diving Champs 6

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2017, 03:23:59 PM »
I've witnessed several TSU vs FAMU games in the dome.  They were always enjoyable.

My most memorable HBCU game though was JSU vs NCA & T in 2001.   My entire immediate family went to that game together - there was good football and the halftime shows were great.  My daddy (who never said anything during halftime because he was a football man through and through) even enjoyed himself - especially those J-Settes.  When they got through dancing my daddy had this smile on his face and said "that was reaaalll nice" - you had to know my daddy to know how shocking that was.  My uncles and brother never mask their stares especially when they're shaking their @zzes - but my daddy was cool under pressure and had a poker face.  Not that day :lol:  And my brother?  That boy was in hog heaven.

I know this thread is about the GA Dome and HBCU's, but my most memorable times in the Dome didn't have anything to do with HBCU Football - my favorite times in the Dome were during the GHSA Playoffs.   I've seen my Peach County Trojans win their fair share of games in the Dome (that 2009 game was my favorite).  What I loved the most is the time I spent with my daddy - daddy and I would get there in the morning and watch every game scheduled.  We wouldn't leave until after midnight - and would come back the next day.  

Going to the Dome was a huge thing for GA high School football.  Small towns would be there en masse.  I know the new stadium will be just as exciting. But I will definitely miss the GA Dome

I also enjoyed a couple of Peach Bowls too (LSU vs Clemson is a nail biter, and Florida State vs Houston which pissed me off).  
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline Jaggrad

• Assistant GM
  • We Them Boyz
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2017, 05:12:50 PM »
Beating Southern in the 96 Heritage Bowl.Was at the Dome for that.

Ya'll were one of the rare few that did it.  The other two schools were Hampton in 1999 and FAMU in 2011.  Other than those 3 losses, Southern record in the Georgia Dome was 8-3 with 3 wins against South Carolina State (1992, 1994, and 1997), 3 wins against FAMU (twice in 1995 - once in the Atlanta Classic and once in the Heritage Bowl and 2012), 1 win against TnSt (1996), and 1 win against BCU (1998).  I do believe we had more enjoyable times than sad times in the Georgia Dome, which is why I kind of hate to see the old circus tent teflon top dome go.

Those Heritage Bowl and Atlanta Classic games were great experiences. 

2019 Onnidan HBCU Composite Football Schedule