News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Mystics acquire Elena Delle Donne...  (Read 812 times)

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Mystics acquire Elena Delle Donne...
« on: February 03, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »
don't know how many of ya'll follow women's basketball, but the washington mystics of the wnba just acquired one the best (if not "the" best) women's basketball players on the planet in elena delle donne.  her talent alone immediately now makes the mystics a wnba championship contender.

welcome to dc, elena...

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/feb/2/elena-delle-donne-acquired-washington-mystics/

By  - The Washington Times - Thursday, February 2, 2017

There was a time a couple weeks ago when the Washington Mystics weren’t sure Elena Delle Donne was going to be come to the District. The Chicago Sky was set on receiving three pieces for the 2015 MVP, a woman who has played in the Olympics, made multiple All-Star Games and whose nearby Delaware roots had pumped attendance figures when she visited.

Washington had to figure out what it was willing to give for such a shiny prize. Each side moved into the stalemate, then stopped talking for about 48 hours. The Mystics determined what their hefty commitment would be — a former All-Star, last year’s No. 7 overall pick, this season’s second overall pick — and Chicago accepted. Della Donne can now pack.

“The season truly can’t come soon enough,” Delle Donne said Thursday on a conference call with reporters.

What the Mystics sent to Chicago to complete one of the biggest trades in league history was significant. Stefanie Dolson has been an all-star. Kahleah Copper was a top-10 pick last season that the Mystics view as a future star in the league, though she has significant work to get there. The second overall pick in this year’s draft is can yield another star to influence the ultimate view of the sign-and-trade deal that acquired Della Donne.

In return, Delle Donne, a former University of Delaware star, comes to Washington and tilts the power in WNBA. The Mystics were 13-21 last season. Della Donne’s presence allows coach and general manager Mike Thibault to move toward his preferred approach of “position-less” basketball. He said he has spent weeks dreaming about Delle Donne on one side and Emma Meesseman, a 6-foot-4 center who adeptly shoots 3-pointers, on the other side. Delle Donne’s versatility gives Thibault a trove of options.

“I’ve awaken in the middle of the night several times in the last week with offensive ideas in my head,” Thibault said. “It’s a unique situation. She takes pressure off everybody else, she can raise their level, and as she and I talked a while back, they can also do the same for her.”

Delle Donne has averaged 20.5 points, 6.6 rebounds and 1.7 blocks per game over her four-year career and has led her team to the playoffs each year, including a trip to the WNBA Finals in 2014. She averaged a career-best 23.4 points per game and 8.4 rebounds per game on her way to being named the league’s MVP and earning All-WNBA first team honors in 2015. Last season, she averaged 21.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 28 games.

She had also expressed a desire to be closer to home now and in the past. Delle Donne was born in Wilmington, Delaware, and played college basketball for Delaware after abruptly leaving powerhouse Connecticut just two days after starting the summer program in Storrs. Her older sister, Lizzie, is blind, deaf and has cerebral palsy and can only communicate through touch and smell. A preference to be near her and her family influenced Delle Donne’s college decision and carried weight in this one, too.

“My entire family is super excited,” Delle Donne said. “Aunts, uncles, everybody’s thrilled, so, I think they’ll be at a lot of games. Having Lizzie this close by is so great. As many know, I can’t just call her, I can’t FaceTime her, I can’t just pick up the phone and talk to her. Now that I am in such close proximity to her, I’ll be able to see her a lot throughout the summer and I’m even hoping to get her to a game because she hasn’t been to one of my professional games because it’s just too hard to travel around with her. I’m just really excited to have that moment and be able to share it with her in D.C.”

Delle Donne has another dream on top of that one. Her arrival in Washington is expected to catapult the Mystics into contenders for the WNBA title. The team expects to make more moves — free agency opened Wednesday — to complete this summer’s roster. After that, Delle Donne is planning on coming to Washington a couple weeks before camp starts to begin work at her second professional home.

“I’m going to work my absolute hardest,” Delle Donne said. “Obviously, it’s a goal of mine to bring a championship to this incredible city. I’d be lying if I said I had not thought of that and dreamt of that.”

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mystics acquire Elena Delle Donne...
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 03:26:07 PM »
 :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline Onnidan Webmaster

• Administrator
  • Assistant GM
  • Forum Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Onnidan's HBCU Sports
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 04:02:32 PM »
Hope she gets a handle on her health issues because there is no doubt that she can ball.
=OW=

Offline BulldogWillie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 04:24:44 PM »
Hope she gets a handle on her health issues because there is no doubt that she can ball.

Concur.

Offline Ivan

• Assistant GM
  • Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 04:28:45 PM »
This is a great move for the Mystics. But my question is why does Chicago seem to be having a hard time keeping it's stars on the team? :shrug:
I am now on Facebook! Come check me out...
 http://www.facebook.com/people/Ivan-Guillory/1249473291

SIAC All Sports Champions - 1990, ‘91, ‘92, ‘00, ‘01, ‘02, ‘06, ‘08

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2017, 04:19:48 PM »
This is a great move for the Mystics. But my question is why does Chicago seem to be having a hard time keeping it's stars on the team? :shrug:

yeah, you're right.  chicago also lost sylvia fowles too who is also one of the best women players in the world.  fowles refused to re-sign with chicago and sat out for half a season before they traded her to minnesota where she won a championship.  both her and delle donne were #2 overall picks in the draft. 

but delle donne demanded a trade because she wanted to be closer to her family who lives in delaware.  not sure why fowles was unhappy...

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2017, 04:24:31 PM »
i used to have mystic season tickets for me and daughter, but i haven't renewed them over the last 5 years or so.  thinking about renewing them now that delle donne is here. 

plus, the wizards are in the process of building a brand new state of the art practice facility which will include a 5k seat basketball arena where the mystics will play their home games.  it should be ready in 2018, ideal size for the mystics...

Offline CLeB-28

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
    • http://www.tsunaa.com
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2017, 11:56:16 PM »
i used to have mystic season tickets for me and daughter, but i haven't renewed them over the last 5 years or so.  thinking about renewing them now that delle donne is here. 

plus, the wizards are in the process of building a brand new state of the art practice facility which will include a 5k seat basketball arena where the mystics will play their home games.  it should be ready in 2018, ideal size for the mystics...

I'm sorry.  Did you say play their home games in a 5K seat basketball arena?
Sea Sick... Waterbound... Can‘t Swim... About to Drown... In the OCEAN!!!  What!!! What!!!

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 10:24:44 AM »
i used to have mystic season tickets for me and daughter, but i haven't renewed them over the last 5 years or so.  thinking about renewing them now that delle donne is here.  

plus, the wizards are in the process of building a brand new state of the art practice facility which will include a 5k seat basketball arena where the mystics will play their home games.  it should be ready in 2018, ideal size for the mystics...

I'm sorry.  Did you say play their home games in a 5K seat basketball arena?

yes, in a 5k arena.  wnba games don't draw as big of crowds as the nba does.  they can always move back to the verizon center if they outgrow the 5k arena.  but playing in a 5k arena will give them a very good home court advantage, should be playing before a "packed house" almost every game in a sparkling brand new arena.  whereas the "phone booth" seats over 21k and the crowd in attendance is scattered out.

also, this new 5k arena is expected to be used to attract an nba "d-league" team to dc...

Offline Bison 4 Life

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 10:36:59 AM »

Also the new arena will be in SE DC.

Howard has a deal with Monumental Sports and may host selected games there as well.

The arena size is just about right. The Mystics have some very very loyal fans .A single use arena for a womens pro team is big investment.

Offline oleschoolaggie

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 11:38:14 AM »

I'm sorry.  Did you say play their home games in a 5K seat basketball arena?

here's what the layout of the arena looks like...

Support Our Efforts

Support our efforts

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets like Facebook and Twitter, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support>

Please consider supporting our efforts to foster free and open discussion of current issues as they relate to the topics you are interested in. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan, or process your donation through PayPal below.

=OW= 

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News