BELOW ARE THE FIRST 10 OF THE 282 CAMPAIGN PROMISES MADE BY TRUMP IN DOCUMENTED SPEECHES, PUBLIC COMMENTS, TWEETS AND TRANSITION WEBSITES. I'LL POST AN ASSESSMENT AFTER APRIL 11, 2017.
November 28 at 6:00 AM
In Donald Trump’s final days on the campaign trail, he promised his supporters that “every dream you ever dreamed for your country” will come true if he becomes president — one of dozens of sweeping promises he made and is now expected to fulfill.
In January, I compiled a list of 76 campaign promises Trump had made. Since then, the list has grown to 282, collected from Trump’s speeches, public comments, tweets and campaign and transition websites.
1. Create at least 25 million jobs and “be the greatest jobs president that God ever create Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump delivered a speech in Gettysburg, Pa., on Oct. 22 laying out his vision for his first 100 days in office if elected president, including immigration enforcement, creating at least 25 million new jobs through massive tax cuts and repeal of the Affordable Care Act. (The Washington Post)
2. Bring back manufacturing jobs from China, Mexico, Japan and elsewhere. States that can expect a rush of jobs include Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Michigan, Ohio, Florida, New Hampshire, Iowa, Nevada, New York and Virginia.
3. Encourage manufacturers to build or grow factories in the United States with tax incentives.
4. Refuse to eat another Oreo until Nabisco fully moves production back to the United States from Mexico.
5. Tell Ford’s president that unless he cancels plans to build a massive plant in Mexico, the auto company will face a 35 percent tax on cars imported into the United States. Trump is confident he can get this done before taking office. (Trump has twice incorrectly said this has already happened.)
6. “Get Apple to start building their damn computers and things in this country, instead of in other countries.”
7. Call the executives at the parent company of Carrier, an air-conditioning manufacturer that is closing a plant in Indiana and moving to Mexico, and threaten to impose a 35 percent tariff on air conditioners imported into the United States. Trump predicts the company will say: “Sir, we’ve decided to stay in the United States.”
8. Bring back the steel industry to Pennsylvania and use American-made steel in all federal infrastructure projects.
9. Make the auto industry in Michigan “bigger and better and stronger than ever before.” Trump plans to return to the state each time a new factory or auto plant opens.
10. Bring the coal industry back to life in the Appalachian Mountain region. MTF.