News: Registration requires "verification" before you are allowed to post.  Be sure to check your "spam" folder to make sure that you receive the verification link.  The e-mail should come from "Onnidan Fan Forum" with the return address -> staff@onnidan.com.

Author Topic: Celebration Bowl Attendance...  (Read 5015 times)

Offline Fly Young Intellectual

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
Re: Celebration Bowl Attendance...
« Reply #60 on: December 19, 2016, 03:03:36 PM »
So,,,,,,the consensus is, we're asking too much to see an increase in physical attendance for the Celebration Bowl every year, as long as we see an increase in people viewing the game from their TVs,,,,,,,,,does this just about sum it up in a nutshell?  :shrug:

Pretty much. As I said in my piece, ESPN's objective is to profit as much as they can, not to transform HBCU (well really MEAC/SWAC) Football.

Offline ‘87 Alum

• Assistant GM
  • The Pride of the Swift Growing South!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: December 19, 2016, 03:20:58 PM »
So,,,,,,the consensus is, we're asking too much to see an increase in physical attendance for the Celebration Bowl every year, as long as we see an increase in people viewing the game from their TVs,,,,,,,,,does this just about sum it up in a nutshell?  :shrug:

Pretty much. As I said in my piece, ESPN's objective is to profit as much as they can, not to transform HBCU (well really MEAC/SWAC) Football.

Simply asking the obvious, but is it a network's job to transform (not sure if that's the right word or not....) a conference?  I don't think so.  That is on the conference and its' affiliated schools to do that job.  ESPN is in it to make money and they do that very well!!!!

Offline Fly Young Intellectual

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: December 19, 2016, 03:35:28 PM »

Simply asking the obvious, but is it a network's job to transform (not sure if that's the right word or not....) a conference?  I don't think so.  That is on the conference and its' affiliated schools to do that job.  ESPN is in it to make money and they do that very well!!!!

Of course making money is ESPN's job. But the conferences and schools bill it as something that is being done to take their brands to the next level. Not saying it won't happen, but if it does, it won't because its the main objective.

HBCU football fans care about building the brands, so when we see a championship game between the two FCS conferences half full, we get disappointed. But the folks in charge are looking at different metrics. I mean they clearly stated they aren't even looking to fill the place up.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 19, 2016, 11:37:22 PM »
This game shouldn't be about one schools fanbase or just the playing schools fanbase.

Should be an HBCU showcase and should be marketed to all HBCUs to come to Atlanta in December and celebrate

Half the HBCUs are DII schools. So why would DII schools celebrate this game as being our national championship game when we can't compete in it? Remember that all the HBCUs in the Atlanta area are DII. This is one reason that the attendance will not get to what you are looking for.

If you are a HBCU fan, most likely your loyalty is with your school. If we celebrate other schools, they will probably be PWSs.
It's only the HBCU championship when the top two ranked HBCUs play in it.  If Tenn St or a D2 team is listed in the top two it will not be billed as a championship game.  Why can't y'all get that???? :shrug:
Trying to light Que82 up like a 4th of July firecracker

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: December 19, 2016, 11:41:57 PM »
I was shocked attendance was listed at nearly 31,000.  For those who have been to a lot of past classics there with TSU, FAMU, Southern etc drawing in the 50,000 range it did not look like 30,000. On tv you're looking at a 70,000 seat facility that looks empty. So it can look a bit off. Some of the other FBS bowls with similar or lower attendance are not played in as large a venue, sometimes around 30,000, so it does not look as bad. I think some people who are critical remember the Heritage bowl that often had marquee matchups but it did not last. It was not getting 40,000 to 50,000 with those matchups?

I think the proper perspective is that it's just year two. If the ratings hold I think that satisfies a big requirement but being billed as a national championship this should also be a platform for black college growth. So I think attendance is very important.

Another box to check is putting a competitive product on the field two years in a row.

Most will agree JSU, SU, Bama schools, FAMU, SCSU gonna be the best draws....But long term this game can't be dependent on that as you will get other matchups. If the MEAC, SWAC as well, want this game have the conference leaders, presidents and ADs implemented a real set of plans for all member schools to market this game and sell tix with their respective communities? Not trying to be funny but how many people outside of Grambling and NCCU folks can say their athletics departments have really tried to brand and sell the game? Also, while Atlanta and GA have lots of MEAC and SWAC alum it is strong SIAC territory. Are folks not too snooty wanna be to realize they should possibly target this base to improve attendance?
Target what base????  I'm sure that sounded good in your head when you were typing but if the SIAC didn't come to their own championship in Atlanta why the heck should we target them. Were their base worth targeting wouldn't their game be in Atlanta instead of Montgomery????  Makes no logical sense to me.  :shrug:

Doesn't mean that you can't at least reach out to all.  They might prefer the Celebration Bowl to that meaningless SIAC Championship game.  :shrug:

Although I don't mind supporting the SIAC game I'm not chomping at the bit to see the Championship game unless my school is in it - more often than not it is a matchup that has been played before.    But if marketed right, selling a SWAC / MEAC matchup that hasn't been played that season could prove more attractive.

Not saying an exorbitant amount of time and money should be spent marketing to the SIAC crew in the Metro area, but if an increase in attendance is a goal it doesn't hurt to explore all avenues.
What do y'all suggest they do to reach out????

Offline 92 SSU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 20, 2016, 12:14:41 AM »
This game shouldn't be about one schools fanbase or just the playing schools fanbase.

Should be an HBCU showcase and should be marketed to all HBCUs to come to Atlanta in December and celebrate

Bullseye. Small-minded keeps you stagnant and broke.

Offline Valley Girl

• Assistant GM
  • Since 1895
    • View Profile
    • http://www.fvsu.edu
« Reply #66 on: December 20, 2016, 12:19:30 AM »
I was shocked attendance was listed at nearly 31,000.  For those who have been to a lot of past classics there with TSU, FAMU, Southern etc drawing in the 50,000 range it did not look like 30,000. On tv you're looking at a 70,000 seat facility that looks empty. So it can look a bit off. Some of the other FBS bowls with similar or lower attendance are not played in as large a venue, sometimes around 30,000, so it does not look as bad. I think some people who are critical remember the Heritage bowl that often had marquee matchups but it did not last. It was not getting 40,000 to 50,000 with those matchups?

I think the proper perspective is that it's just year two. If the ratings hold I think that satisfies a big requirement but being billed as a national championship this should also be a platform for black college growth. So I think attendance is very important.

Another box to check is putting a competitive product on the field two years in a row.

Most will agree JSU, SU, Bama schools, FAMU, SCSU gonna be the best draws....But long term this game can't be dependent on that as you will get other matchups. If the MEAC, SWAC as well, want this game have the conference leaders, presidents and ADs implemented a real set of plans for all member schools to market this game and sell tix with their respective communities? Not trying to be funny but how many people outside of Grambling and NCCU folks can say their athletics departments have really tried to brand and sell the game? Also, while Atlanta and GA have lots of MEAC and SWAC alum it is strong SIAC territory. Are folks not too snooty wanna be to realize they should possibly target this base to improve attendance?
Target what base????  I'm sure that sounded good in your head when you were typing but if the SIAC didn't come to their own championship in Atlanta why the heck should we target them. Were their base worth targeting wouldn't their game be in Atlanta instead of Montgomery????  Makes no logical sense to me.  :shrug:

Doesn't mean that you can't at least reach out to all.  They might prefer the Celebration Bowl to that meaningless SIAC Championship game.  :shrug:

Although I don't mind supporting the SIAC game I'm not chomping at the bit to see the Championship game unless my school is in it - more often than not it is a matchup that has been played before.    But if marketed right, selling a SWAC / MEAC matchup that hasn't been played that season could prove more attractive.

Not saying an exorbitant amount of time and money should be spent marketing to the SIAC crew in the Metro area, but if an increase in attendance is a goal it doesn't hurt to explore all avenues.

Now a marketing exec I am not by ANY stretch of the imagination, but it can be as simple as taking out an ad in a football programs for MC and CAU at the very least - making announcements during SIAC games especially at HC and Classics (MC/Tuskegee and FCC).  Even promoting it during that Championship game they play.  Might not make a huge difference, but if started early enough it could show up on people's radars.   We don't know who will be in the next bowl,  but I'm sure the date has already been set - nothing wrong with coming up with a generic commericial that would be played on people's Jumbotrons.   I know we have one,  Albany has one, never seen Benedict's stadium but I'm pretty sure they have one too.   I only listen to Atlanta radio once a week and while I am almost certain that there were commercials about the bowl - but I didn't hear them.  An increased radio presence far in advance would help as well.  I know when FAMU and TSU played in the Atlanta Classic, they promoted that sucka for at least six weeks prior to the game - and while most of the people there had ties to the teams, there were a lot of people that just came to the game with no ties to either.  

A weekend in Atlanta for some good HBCU football for teams that they don't normally see and last minute Christmas shopping in the city can be an attractive incentive.  

Now all of this is contingent on if they want to increase attendance.   If they're satisfied and only concerned with TV ratings then that's that.  I don't think the numbers are bad at all, especially in December.  
"Don‘t let how other folks treat you get YOU sent to Hell" - My Daddy  - RIP

FORT VALLEY STATE FORT VALLEY STATE! OUR LIVES TO THEE WE DEDICATE!

Offline 92 SSU

• Assistant GM
  • Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 20, 2016, 12:28:53 AM »
HBCU bowl games are not regular season classics or conf championships so it's hard to compare the two. If all ESPN cares for (right now) is ratings, fine for them. But shouldn't HBCUs want to build themselves up as much as possible. I may have went to the restroom when this was explained at the party but are tix sales factored into the final max payout?

I am not just focused on targeting Atlanta, I meant all of Georgia. I stated this because the SIAC historically has been one of the d2 conferences with better attendance. In fact why not target specific regions of the border states close by as well. I am loyal to certain schools but when mine are not playing I often have gone to see other SWAC, CIAA and NAIA schools play. Our schools, even the best among them, are generally broke athletically. Many are struggling to sustain enrollment. Many have struggling graduate programs that desperately need more students. It's a football game but why not use this to brand the entire HBCU product. Excuse me but I think the my stick is better than yours attitude serves no positive collective purpose.

I would also say keep an eye on the overall profit of ESPN. They are having trouble.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 12:47:31 AM by 92 SSU »

Offline BisonBlu

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 20, 2016, 04:07:04 AM »
This game was marketed on Jumbotrons during several MEAC games this fall as well as on the radio for the two weeks leading up to game day here in Atlanta. But there can always be more done i.e. advertising at homecoming games at HBCU's within the region as well as social media outlets

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 20, 2016, 06:45:34 AM »

Now a marketing exec I am not by ANY stretch of the imagination, but it can be as simple as taking out an ad in a football programs for MC and CAU at the very least - making announcements during SIAC games especially at HC and Classics (MC/Tuskegee and FCC).  Even promoting it during that Championship game they play.  Might not make a huge difference, but if started early enough it could show up on people's radars.   We don't know who will be in the next bowl,  but I'm sure the date has already been set - nothing wrong with coming up with a generic commericial that would be played on people's Jumbotrons.   I know we have one,  Albany has one, never seen Benedict's stadium but I'm pretty sure they have one too.   I only listen to Atlanta radio once a week and while I am almost certain that there were commercials about the bowl - but I didn't hear them.  An increased radio presence far in advance would help as well.  I know when FAMU and TSU played in the Atlanta Classic, they promoted that sucka for at least six weeks prior to the game - and while most of the people there had ties to the teams, there were a lot of people that just came to the game with no ties to either.  

A weekend in Atlanta for some good HBCU football for teams that they don't normally see and last minute Christmas shopping in the city can be an attractive incentive.  

Now all of this is contingent on if they want to increase attendance.   If they're satisfied and only concerned with TV ratings then that's that.  I don't think the numbers are bad at all, especially in December.  

:nod:
BCFNC:1948,49,50,54,60,75,93,95,97,98,03
SWAC Champs: 1937,38,40,46,47,48,49,50,55,59,60,66,75,93,97,98,99,03,13
Bowl Appearances:11 record 8-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Online bluedog

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: December 20, 2016, 06:50:07 AM »
Man reading some of the folks comments is so amusing too me.  :lol: :lol: :lol:
BCFNC:1948,49,50,54,60,75,93,95,97,98,03
SWAC Champs: 1937,38,40,46,47,48,49,50,55,59,60,66,75,93,97,98,99,03,13
Bowl Appearances:11 record 8-3 Heritage Bowl 4 - 2

Offline Ram55

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2016, 08:38:27 AM »

Half the HBCUs are DII schools. So why would DII schools celebrate this game as being our national championship game when we can't compete in it? Remember that all the HBCUs in the Atlanta area are DII. This is one reason that the attendance will not get to what you are looking for.

If you are a HBCU fan, most likely your loyalty is with your school. If we celebrate other schools, they will probably be PWSs.
It's only the HBCU championship when the top two ranked HBCUs play in it.  If Tenn St or a D2 team is listed in the top two it will not be billed as a championship game.  Why can't y'all get that???? :shrug:

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought that the game was billed as the National Championship game regardless of who is playing and where they are ranked. So this brings the question as to what poll determines the official rankings? And what if the two top ranked teams are in the same conference and one of them goes to this game. Does the winner then becomes HBCUs NC even if the winner is not ranked one or two?

Offline Jay_Thomas

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2016, 08:42:14 AM »
Man reading some of the folks comments is so amusing too me.  :lol: :lol: :lol:

I know, right   :blush:

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 20, 2016, 08:56:36 AM »

Thanks for clearing that up for me. I thought that the game was billed as the National Championship game regardless of who is playing and where they are ranked. So this brings the question as to what poll determines the official rankings? And what if the two top ranked teams are in the same conference and one of them goes to this game. Does the winner then becomes HBCUs NC even if the winner is not ranked one or two?
I think they go by Sheridan and I believe its the top two going in the poll right before the game.  NCCU was not in the top two until they beat the Aggies.  My understanding is whoever is #1 in the final Sheridan poll is crowned the BNC regardless if they played in the game or not.

Offline Que82

• Assistant GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 20, 2016, 09:00:49 AM »

Not sure how many butts that would put in the seats but I guess its worth a try.  However, SIAC fans like Yogi wouldn't come if you gave him a free flight, free hotel and a free pass to Magic City. (Coach stealing ass) :lol:

Onnidan's HBCUSports Logo
News

Support Onnidan

Support the Fan Forum

With all the divisive rhetoric on social media outlets, websites such as ours, especially message boards, are under the watchful eye of the Internet giants. And those giants are coming down hard on sites like this one due to the perception of the need for better "oversight".

We recognize the cultural conflict that exists and over the past few months we've been accused of allowing content in posts/threads that supposedly violates some advertiser's policies. Those threads weren’t an issue in the past, but for some reason, they are an issue now. And we are being penalized (financially) because of it.

As a result we are coming to you directly for your financial support.

The pandemic has financial consequences, especially for Black-owned businesses. Ad revenue is shrinking so we are asking you directly for your financial support. You can use the Cash App and contribute to $onnidan or process your donation through Square